Walther Stock Issues

Discussion in 'Walther' started by Sparky, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    I was having a few accuracy issues with the Walther, tried everything from different pellets, lubed and un-lubed, tried different scopes, 3 different regs even took the carbon fibre shroud off thinking it could be that as the pattern was always the same so many were it should be going then 1 would go high or low.
    On the phone constant to Pete Dutton for advise and ringing a few other Walther owners but everything we tried failed to cure it.
    Pete was going to take a look at it for me, but he then suggested one last thing slackening the stock bolt off and hay presto pellet on pellet, so he then said to try and tighten it as much as possible and the accuracy went tits up again.
    So as a temporary measure I shot the LV comp with a lose action, Pete made me another shim so the action sits well off the stock, hopefully will be trying to see if this works later today(if the wind drops that is)
    What I was wondering has anyone else found this with Walther s in the Hunter stock or any other stock.

Pete

2. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    O yes

Hi yes to that ,i only have one bolt in my alutec stock and have shimmed the action to sit level in the stock.have also milled around the back of of the stock to stop any weight being put on the back of the action.Have glued two bolt heads in the holes so it looks like they are fitted.:D

3. simona

simona Active Member

Mine's quite touchy too. I shot mine most of this winter so loose that it was rattling around in the chassis. I've now got a set of plastic shimms (bottom and sides) which hold the action still while screw tension is very low. It now churns in 6mm C-C groups at 50 yards.

At 50 yards tight screws explode the groups, esp. the side screws.

My metal-stocked P70FT was even more sensitive to screw tension.

Some debate about this on a BBS thread 'Advice on bedding a PCP' or similar.

4. simona

simona Active Member

Mine's in an Alutec too. I had to file loads of material off the inside left to clear the reg.

If I only use the bottom screw the front of the action cocks up in the air so that the rear of the action grounds out on the pistol grip; to keep it level the bottom screw is super-loose and the action's all over the place.

I still have the barrel A-frame in place (though it dosent touch), I've shimmed it so the barrel is dead centre in the A-frame and the side action screw holes are dead centre in the chassis holes. The rear screws are in with mega-thin plastic shim between the action and chassis and the screws just touched up to stop the shims moving.

I works great but looks odd. Firm delicate control like a old-time matron.

Endless hours on a 50 yard indoor range have shown me that the nature of the connection between stock and action can do very strange things to the end result.

5. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I think the action is a bit on the soft side,and that the bolts that secure the reg are at a angle to the direction of air pressure push.I have fitted my reg on studs which are wasited down to 4mm and do not contact the bolts hole.Have made it so the reg sits away from the action and does not touch the area under the barrel mounting point.Its got to help.

6. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Well I've just checked mine as a result of this thread and the two side bolts were really loose - I normally nip them like a scope ring. My reg just floats above the chassis nicely as well.

Ryan

7. Jon

Jon Member

Gerry dont know the meaning of bedding in.

Walthers actions are not soft aluminium but they do flex at 3 points, one area you wouldnt believe!

If the stocks were made right there would be no reason to bed in!

8. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Come on Jon fill us in, I don't fancy trying to see where I can flex my action!:D

Ryan

9. Bill Peat

Bill Peat TALLENTLESS PUMPERTEER

Club:
    PURLEY CHASE
    picture of Ryan trying to find flex points has just flittered across my mind. don't do it!!

my dommies shimmed under trigger block, side bolts just nipped up. shoots unreal! poor guns got me to let it down:eek: and its an alutec.

10. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Got an update, even after shimming and loosening the stock, I was still getting up and down poi on the range, the only thing that I have changed recently was I took the junior cylinder (450g) off and put the mid range (750g) one on, so after trying nearly everything there is to try I swapped back and it has seemed to have cured it?

Anyone else know anyone or have experienced heavier cylinders causing accuracy problems due to maybe being to long and heavy so strain on the block/reg???

Cheers
    Pete

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    can't say i have pete... is the cylinder free floated as well, or does it rest on the band?

12. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Free floating mate

Pete

13. aitchuk

aitchuk Member

Club:
    redfearns
    Bl##dy hell Pete 3/4 of a ton no wonder your having problems :eek:even P.D. would struggle with that :D

Cheers Aitch;)

14. RobF

Club:
    Only thing I can think of is some kind of wierd resonance happening... but then you would have thought that it would happen with a clamp that was closer fitting... wierd.

15. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Well Pete told me to try a few things which I did and it seems the stock is interacting with the action and causing the problems, which the heavier cylinder just escalates the problem more.

So Pete is kindly lending me his spare hunter stock for the Worlds and modifying mine.

Fingers crossed this will cure it.

Pete

16. RobF

Club:
    one thing you could try, is some blu-tac under the cylinder, joining it to the stock... although it might not be a permanent solution, if it cures the problem, it could point to the source of it... it should rule out any odd resonance up through the action and the barrel... or selotaping a heavy weight to the end of the barrel, which will change it's harmonics.

certainly, from other shooter's posts with other rifles, there seems to be a secret to bedding in.

i torque all mine to the same, not because i've experimented with any particular setting, just because I used to see shift when dropping the action in and out of the stock... this seems to at least cure it with regards to zero shift... i stick it on 4nm. My reg bolts are also done the same.

17. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Cheers Rob

Once i get the stock back will be doing the same.

Pete

18. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    There is an easy fix for this. Get Steve Lanyman to make you a proper stock ;)