Walther Lgv Master .22

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by matt goodson, Dec 30, 2013.

1. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

Hello all!

I've wanted a decent .22 springer for a while. I tried a Tx200hc, which was ruled out due to muzzle flip and a fairly slow feeling action and I also tried the sfs imp, which is sandwell field sports tuned hw99. I was amazed at how fast the action was, and utterly twang free, as if it was powered by some sort of plutonium antimatter. But even with a big silencer the rifle was just too damn light for me :( I could have bought a hw97 (which does fit me) in .22, but I already have a .177, and felt like something different.

So, a couple of gunshops later I spied an lgv and had a go. And five minutes later I walked out with it (having paid, of course).

Here is my review, which I will add to as and when I feel like it...

(keep in mind these are opinions, and cannot be taken as facts)

Walther HGV would have been more fitting. Built like a truck but slightly less attractive.
    Big and heavy (duh!).
    Overengineered.
    Useless open sights, not only because you will fit a scope, but because the rear sight is loose and moves side to side on the breech block :rolleyes:
    Stock has certain barge like qualities. Blocky.
    Recoil pad doesnt fit the stock properly.
    Breech lock up is amazing. Barrel catch easy and intuitive.
    Bluing is pretty good, on par with modern HW's.
    Trigger is fantastic, straight out of the box. I find it nicer than anything else I've tried/owned springer wise, better than my hw97 and vmach longbow or most pcps I've used!
    Love the balance, even with a big heavy scope (This is the one without the muzzle weight btw).
    Love the flat section of wood under the forend of the stock, comb height fine for scope use.
    Girlfriend can cock this rifle, despite fairly short barrel.
    Despite being ugly as sin, fits bloody well.
    Very quiet on discharge, and also has 1/2 unf on barrel to fit a silencer (I may play with something on there, but not sure yet).
    No muzzle flip.
    Crosshairs barely move on discharge :D
    Low surge-recoil.

I havent shot groups with it yet, but will report back when I have, pics to follow also,

matt

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

First outing, indoors at 15 yards prone for a preliminary zero and a bit of running in.

Feels tight, a bit of combustion, could do with a strip and perhaps a lube-tune but I am just going to shoot it in.

It was surprisingly inaccurate until about 40 shot had been through it, but then they started going through the same hole phew!

Trigger is very nice, but I can feel a slight roughness in the sears which would stone nicely, but once again I'm just going to shoot through it, I have a 97 which is taking up all my fiddling time.

It seems that you can shoot these with the butt touching the floor without a poi change. If it translates to full distance that would be really cool ;) (tested again, you cant as it will throw the odd shot low, but still better than the 97...oh well)

Firing cycle is not as nice as my short stroke hw97, seems slower with more recoil, but you absolutely cannot have the butt touching the ground on the hw. Go figure :rolleyes:

I've read that the LGV's are easy to shoot and hold tolerant, and so far my one seems to be.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  3. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

So, hft today.
    Out to 45 yards it stacks falcons on top of each other, no kidding :) (didnt try any further)
    I am very happy with its accuracy!
    I let as many fellow hft'ers shoot it today as possible, many of them pcp only shooters and everybody found it accurate and easy to hit the target.
    My overall score at MAD was crappy, but it was down to not knowing aimpoints and my rangefinding head had been left at home and I was using an unfamiliar scope. Aimpoints were worked out after the shoot, isnt it always the way?
    I have not had any point of impact shifts while running in so far.
    Trigger smoothed out pretty quickly.
    Still some combustion.
    I am thinking of fitting an adjustable butt plate, having one on my s400 has really opened my eyes to how much more consistantly I can shoulder a rifle with one of these fitted.
    Despite the bad score I had a lot of fun, there is a lot to be said for shooting a .22 boinger in hft.

4. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

Scores are comming up, saturday 48 so second in .22 at springfiled hft, and today 53 at cosford, also second in .22.

Recoil is so mild now its amazing, trigger is even sweeter as it runs in.

I am getting the odd rogue whiff of combustion from the end of the muzzle, and the odd strange shot so I am going to strip it and relube with krytox to nip it in the bud. I didnt really want to, but I am 400 pellets in and its getting a bit :eek:o
    Would have thought it would have sorted itself out by now, oh well. I have read they are easy to work on.

5. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

They are really easy to strip. I've changed the piston seal/cylinder lube to krytox and the combustion has stopped, power has settled at 11ftlb with falcons. I Left the moly paste on the spring/guide, cant see a reason to change it. I'm glad I got in there and sorted it as the combustion had started to burn the piston seal inline with the transfet port! Luckly only the surface.

The insides are very impressive.

Spring straight and well finished.
    Good fit on guide, which is captive to trigger block, lubed with moly paste.
    Piston runs on delrin, (or perhaps erecetal c), so no metal to metal and good fit to the cylinder.
    Piston seal has a very sharp lip and no scrapper ring so minimal drag.
    Piston free to rotate.
    Spring soft, easy to strip and reassemble by hand without a spring compressor.
    No power adjusting washers, bit of a surprise as every other rifle I've ever stripped has had them. However, I dont need to adjust my lgv, 11ftlb is fine. If I were to I'd choose plastic washers so as not to add any weight to the piston.

From whats I've seen, and from how they shoot I cant see any point tuning them, but if I were to buy another I'd relube it from day one.

6. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

Oh yes, I've fitted a 1/2 unf brass muzzle brake for a little more front weight to suit my taste, and an adjustable buttplate for a more consistant eye/cheek/soulder alignment.
    Adds about £150 onto the cost of the rifle. The jury is out on the buttplate as the reach to pull is even longer than standard :( but the rifle is so stable prone :)

7. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

Buttplate removed, reach to pull just toooo loooong.

Scope mtc genesis ultralight 3-9x40 zerod today at petes airgun farm. Consistantly hitting the 15mm kills at 48 yards from a bag on the bench. Accuracy is top notch.

8. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    Matt,

Thanks for the progress report on the rifle, sounds as if you know how to strip and fettle a rifle. I saw one of them in .177 last year at the Greyhound, chap who had it,let me have a shot or two. I liked it.

If memory serves me right, I think we met at Cosford and again last Saturday at the Kibby, training day and later in the shop when you bought a new scope. If it's not you then apologises.

David

9. krolik

krolik New Member

It is a nice one this new LGV.

What strikes me is why anyone would buy verrsion other than Competitor with regulated comb? It is not much more expensive and adds a lot of flexibility when it comes to choice of scope and overall shooting comfort.

Anyone buying LGV should add the metal, fully adjustable tuning trigger. Then trigger is even better.

As to the quality of build it is not so good as Walther announces. Bluing varies from piece to piece and some rifles have it nice overall and some are quite bad...
    Waltrher focused fully on the action which is very good out of the box. The rest is 'just good' with nothing really worth mentioning and complaining at the same time.

And yes, it shots great out of the box. This is main selling point from Walther, right? So you get a great rifle which is way cheaper (at least in my region) from AA TX or AA PSport, comparable to HW97 and you dont need to put extra cash to tune it.
    One remark here is that while it shoots nice out of the box it is still mass production. So if you are a quality freak and want the best action possible you still need to take it appart, do some cleaning up after factory, polish surfaces and blunt some edges. Then regrease again with the right stuff. And if you think it shoots like a dream out of the box... then you will be even more suprised. :)

And maybe last comment: highly tuned AA TX/PS or HW97 will shoot same as good as LGV. It is more the weight and stock that finally make one of these fit you better.
    Quickness of action, recoil, accuracy are very comparable but with TX and HW97 you need to invest quite heavily to get to this level (spring, guide, spring hat, piston guide, polishing, proper lubing and some do also tweak the piston seal).

10. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

Yep, Hi David

I had a really bad day with the lgv today. Need to work out what went boobs up :rolleyes:

See you at kibby :)