Walther lgu v air arm TX 200 mk2

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by spartan21, May 12, 2018.

1. spartan21

spartan21 Troy

Club:
    Castle FT
    Ok which one is the better of the two and why ?

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    They're both good.

One isn't inherently better than the other, but whether one is better than the other for you, depends on which shooting discipline you intend to use it for and what level you hope to shoot at. Internally there isn't much difference between the two.

spartan21 and johnnyboy like this.
  3. spartan21

spartan21 Troy

Club:
    Castle FT
    It will be for FT shooting

4. FPoole

FPoole Member

Excluding springs and seals and assuming it's properly lubed, a TX will go for 200,000 shots with no discernible wear to to the workings of the gun. I can't comment on the Walther due to not seeing one in the flesh. Of course, this doesn't make one more accurate than the other. In the end, it probably boils down to which one feels the best to you.

spartan21 likes this.
  5. Rotherham Owl

Rotherham Owl Air Arms Poster Boy

Club:
    The Anston Massive
    Strange not to see the HW77/97 in the mix.

MickyFinn and spartan21 like this.
  6. airborn68

airborn68 Member

Club:
    Ponte & Hull & District Ft (secretary)
    Both have their pros & cons. I have both in various states of tune. If you get the one you like the look and feel of the most you wont go far wrong.
    ( Tx & LGU easier to work on than the HW'S)
    Jon

spartan21 likes this.
  7. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    I had the LGU when it first came out and I was very impressed. I couldn't belive the groups it was doing straight out of the box at 45 yards, one ragged hole with one pellet after another going in. Anyway, great accuracy, but I didn't like the trigger and at that point no one was making a nice HFT stock for them so I stuck with the 97.
    I never had the TX so can't comment on that but did have a prosport and that with the poor bluing and wobley cocking lever, and other poor experiences with AA, the TX was never going to be top of my list.

spartan21 likes this.
  8. Dale

Dale Active Member

Here is a review I did on the LGU when I bought one:

Walther LGU

I would say that compared to a straight out of the box Mk3 TX200, the LGU as it comes shoots nicer, however, if you are going to spend money on modifying then the TX is a better rifle to work on.

There are areas on the LGU that are evident of cost cutting so at this point in time it is uncertain how the rifle will be ten years down the line.

spartan21 likes this.
  9. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I currently own all three of the usual contenders and personally prefer to shoot the TX HC. In my opinion it is purely down to which one fits you best. For me, the TX takes some beating, even in its standard state of tune out of the factory, although I did do a proper re-lube. Despite having shot HW rifles for half a century and enjoying them, for some reason I just dont get on with the 97. LGU needs a proper trigger job in my opinion, but is also mega accurate.

spartan21 likes this.
  10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I'm really not a fan of the die cast dinky toy trigger block of the lgu and it's cocking shoe that isn't permanently attached to the rifle...

Out of all of them I still prefer the HW97...

spartan21 likes this.
  11. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

Dale .
    When you say the lgu shoots nicer out of the box .

Do you mean you prefer the shot cycle / feel ?

spartan21 likes this.
  12. Dale

Dale Active Member

Compared to an out of the box TX Mk3, I prefer the quicker shot cycle of the LGU.

Compare the LGU to an older Mk1 or Mk2 TX and there is nothing in it.

Joha and spartan21 like this.
  13. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    97 aĺl day long for me

two200's and spartan21 like this.
  14. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    I must admit the best out of the box spring rifle I ever had was the Mk.1 TX200 when they were first released.
    A very close second is my ProSport, I just hate that external bear trap lug so much on the later TX's

spartan21 likes this.
  15. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Just goes to show personal preference and feel is king. You can't choose between LGU, TX, 97K on points based on what people write on the internet.

Been a HW fan since 1987 but the value proposition of the LGU is hard to beat. To shoot out of the box and knock the most targets down, the LGU wins for me. A good trigger adjustment setup (just external without stripping) resolves 90% of the LGU's perceived trigger issues IMHO. Yes I think you can't get it quite as sweet as a well set up Rekord, at least without mods. Many people rate the CD trigger over the Rekord and they may be right, but I can't say I've ever shot a springer trigger that's closer to my perfect trigger break than my 97K. I've shot much lighter TX setups but all seemed to lack the right "feel" for me. I tend to prefer slightly heavier triggers than some target shooters but I want a 2nd stage like snapping a tiny glass rod.

See having stripped my LGU and LGV about a dozen times in the last 3 months I'm starting to really like it the design, apart from the fact you have to separate the halves to get the spring guide out. The casting actually seems decent quality and the two halves fit together really well. So much so that I've nearly forgotten to put the screws back in more than once. Once you get the hang of how the sears and levers fit in it's not too hard to get them all back in and the two halves back together. The Rekord is a PITA trying to get the sears and pivot pins back in place.

I also quite like the floating cocking shoe, it makes it so much easier to get the comp tube out than having to tap out another pin on the HWs. There's a slight niggle about longevity, but I've not yet read of one failing. If and when it does some sort of ally block on teflon runners might be a nice aftermarket replacement. My only area of concern currently is the rivetting on the cocking lever.

16. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Active Member

Some good points made about fit and personal preference. I've seen first place in recoiling class go to all of these so they can definitely all do the job.

Most important thing is the fit. Find the one that suits you best.
    Then get the trigger how you like it. They all share the same basic layout so there isn't that much in it when compared to some other springers

Then the most under rated and under mentioned thing of all. Learn the rifle and practice! The only reason I won't switch from my TX to a 97 is that I'm 12 months into learning the TX and still haven't mastered it. This is what will ultimately determine how many targets you knock. over.

I don't really rate the ability to strip quickly as a deciding factor. Once you've got it sorted it should only need to come apart for maintenance or if it gets very wet. Taking them apart every other week to try new parts or new tunes won't help that much. I see that as resetting your learning clock.
    Unless this is part of the fun/appeal in which case these three are all easy enough to strip

Just my thoughts. Your mileage may vary.

spartan21 and MickyFinn like this.
  17. springboy

springboy Member

I think the TX is very hard to beat,it’s well made,very accurate and very tuneable. The LGU is an excellent rifle too and compativly priced too. There are some niggles with the LGU,obviously the trigger comes to mind. I personally don’t mind the long first stage and with a bit of fettling you can get a nice let off with the second stage. Ok it’s not gonna be as good as a rekord or CD unit but it is ok. Other issues I’ve heard are the ABT button coming loose but that can be rectified by removing the comp tube to gain access and nipping up the screws with some loctite. Earlier models the comp tube isn’t case hardened and the shoe can burr over the slot that it sits in,mine is looking a bit ragged. The cocking linkage rivets can work loose and stop the comp tube from closing all the way and effecting the seal. The transfer port is too small on at about 2.8mm and can fatigue the spring due to bounce. I’ve had mine for 3 years now and apart from the slot in the comp tube burring over I’ve not had any of the other issues,admittedly I don’t shoot it a great deal. Despite all that I really like the shot cycle and I find it so easy to shoot it accurately over any other springer I’ve had.