Walther LGU failure

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Sundance, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

Thought I would share my experience of this new gun. Bought 2 weeks ago from Welsh Will. He said it was shooting at about 11.3 ftlb. It smoked a bit for say 30 pellets. After about 1000 pellets I chrono'd it and it had dropped in power..about 720fps with AA diablo field 8.4. After another 1000 pellets it had dropped to under 700fps.
    Took it back to Will who changed the piston seal and tried 2 new springs..after some variations it settled to under 700fps again. Umarex were contacted and replaced the gun immediately. Had new gun the next day.
    Disappointing to have a duff gun but great service from Will and Umarex.
    Feeding new gun pellets and will see how it goes.

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I don't think I would have put another 1000 pellets through it after it dropped 50fps to 720.
    What was the problem?

3. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

Not sure Brian I didn't take it apart..wouldn't know what to look for anyway. Just slowly lost power. Welsh Will was unable to get it to shoot over about 10ftlb...
    I was so happy with the recoil and accuracy in the garden but when shooting it at the club the problems became more obvious over 30 meters.
    No diagnosis given, he spent hours on it but had to give up. Umarex exchanged immediately..went back today..

4. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    I'm surprised the honoured the warrenty if someone had took it to bits a few times. This is the first one I've heard of losing that much power.

5. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

To be clear, Will was the seller, Will is Woodfield GCP....(?)..his banner appears on this site's head..he is a RFD..and I assume a gunsmith.
    No one had the gun apart other than him..and that was after the problem presented itself.
    The problem was with the gun not anyone fiddling with it..
    As an aside the warranty is nice to have and Umarex have responded wonderfully but the law of the land says that we the consumers are entitled to goods fit for the purpose and of reasonably satisfactory quality. If they are not then we can reject them...
    I think that trumps a warranty...

6. XTX

XTX XTX Air

Club:
    Nomads HFT
    You may find your power dropped because the lube that was in front of the piston seal burnt off and it was no longer dieselling.

My LGU lost a load of power when I removed the standard lube and fitted a different lube. I think the power loss was due to the fact that there was a fair amount of the original lube in front of the piston seal, after I cleaned it out it was no longer dieselling, so the power dropped.
    I had to add some pre-load to get the power back up to where I like it.

7. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

The gun was supplied and sold to me by Woodfield. I remember Will saying he had degreased the internals and lubed everything himself prior to sale.
    He is an authorised dealer and infact has the title 'Walther' on his banner advet on this site.
    The dieseling was not bad and lasted a short time.
    I'm no expert and really all I can do is state facts.

The fact that Will had the rifle back, stripped it down, replaced the parts he thought might be the problem but still failed to get the gun shooting above 10ftlb indicates to me that there was some sort of engineering type/manufacture type issue with it.

The service from Will was excellent,, great guy, I've had several guns from him in the past. Umarex have responded to the issue via Will rapidly and reasonably.
    The point I want to share is tha I bought a new Walther LGU that suffered from low power output and it could not be repaired by an authorised Walther dealer.

8. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    walther pwr

mine had no lube on spring the top hat was broke in two, had the artful- bodger make me a new one and like xtx had to add more pre-load, and the pwr is a lot better now.

9. dae2830

dae2830 Member

I have the same problem, mine was about 4 weeks old and the power dropped right off. Armex said to take it back to the shop and they could repair it, unfortunately the shop isn't a gunsmith so it had to go back. When the rep picked it up he said.....we know what it is.

Waiting to get it back any day now and hopefully the reason why

10. toxopholist

toxopholist New Member

Just wanted to share that my Walther LGU has also had to be returned after just 10 days of use. The power dropped from an initial 10.7 to just 10 ftlbs. I will not be buying another Walther product. Shame, as I was rather impressed with the accuracy and quality of finish. The trigger is incredible, once adjusted. I was planning to add their precharged rifle to the stable, but I've gone for a HW100 instead.

11. fatwelshboy

fatwelshboy Wanted - EV2

Club:
    Nelson FTC
  12. dae2830

dae2830 Member

I had the same problem. Straight out of the box it was absolutely spot on, after a tin or so of pellets the power just dropped off.
    I contacted Umarex and they said take it back to the shop and see if they can fix it, the guy isn't a gunsmith so he sent it back for me. 2 weeks later a credit note turns up, no explanation no replacement.

13. 2fix

2fix New Member

walther lgu

just got ask the question what the problem with lgu

14. toxopholist

toxopholist New Member

Hi, your post was back in July. Did you get your rifle back OK and has it maintained its power since then?

15. dae2830

dae2830 Member

Hi,no I didn't. The shop where I bought it from chased it up after a week or so and next thing they just sent my money back. No reason why, have no idea what was wrong with it.

Very strange thou, they are the first company I have ever known to give your money back without trying to replace it first.:confused::confused:

16. Jok

Jok New Member

Hi ALL, I'm newbie here...Too bad for the LGU, I was going to purchase that one but none available my country yet. So bought LGV Master Ultra .177 instead. I just shot about 600 pellets now and that barrel still smoking. From what I've been reading from some sources the factory had put too much grease on it. I really want to strip the gun and get the grease out, but I'm worry that the muzzle energy would drop. Currently it produce 850 fps on JSB 8.4 gr...I wanted to get the same FPS on heavier pellets....what should I do? Thanks for your advise.

17. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Hi Jok, welcome aboard.

Strip it and make sure there's no grease in front of the piston seal and while you're at it wipe off the excess grease on the spring.

If the power drops add some preload.

Tuning for a higher muzzle energy with a heavier pellet is a bit of a balancing act and you might end up with a gun that isn't as pleasant or accurate to shoot. Personally, I would stick with the 8.4's

18. Tye

Tye Shabba

Club:
    Moxons ARC, Tamworth SG,Welsh Covert SG, Whittington GC, Greyhound GC
    as a RFD aswell and we have been told we are the UK's leading Walther dealer we have only had a few incidents main one being that customers struggle with the adjustment on the trigger. We had the Roy the Armex gunsmith explain and we did a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmvcImzuAk4 not had any returns/complaints regarding loss of power??? Also we are working with Rowan Engineering and will have a range of accessories/bling for the LGV/LGU inc a adjustable match blade trigger, under lever arm grip and adjustable butt pad.

19. Jok

Jok New Member

Thanks Brian - Cheers.

20. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

Regarding the trigger I discovered that my 2nd stage adjustment screw was thread locked.

Not sure if this is the case with all LGU s but if you are struggling with the trigger then this knowledge may help. Need to dismantle trigger blade and get at it from the top with pliers. That got it free..

I also find that the dovetail scope rail is shallow...anyone else struggling with mounts on this rail?