Walther LG300 Dominator Advice

Discussion in 'Walther' started by PCPNewbie, Mar 30, 2010.

1. PCPNewbie

PCPNewbie New Member

Fellas, I need some unbiased advice. I'm about to purchase my first PCP. I'm a lifelong target shooter having owned and shot everything from Anschutz .22 to Sako tgt .308 and high-end Skeet and Trap guns including Kreighoffs. I'm retired now and am interested in trying my hand with a quality PCP to shoot Ft/HFT-like targets. Unfortunately, there's nowhere under a day's drive from where I live at 8700' in Colorado to try-out/sample different rifles. Been doing a lot of reading/research instead. I have a line on a new aluminum LG300 Dominator that has my fancy. But my concern is it's noise level. Obviously, I haven't been able to hear one fired and, per the advice offerred on rifle selection in another thread, don't want to trust the proprieter's answer alone. So guys, please give me your best advice.

I live on four acres. The closest neighbor's home will be no closer than 100m to my nearest shooting position. The terrain is medium-wooded and I have a 20' high hill as a backstop. My concern is Walther's line drawings of the Dominator seem to show the barrel sits in a sleeve rather than a baffled shroud. Is that correct? If so, I'm concerned its report might be considered un-neighborly. Based on your experience, will the Walther generate enough noise to upset the neighbors?:confused:

Of less concern, I'll have a 70' range in my basement. How bothersome would the report be to someone upstairs?

My first fallback is a Daystate Mk4 where not only would I have a baffled and shrouded barrel but I could also reduce the energy for indoor shooting. I sincerely appreciate any insights you have.:)

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I doubt 100m away the report would be disturbing. It would probably be lightly audible, but that's about it. It's no louder than any other pcp out there really.

Depending on how thick your floors are, depends on how much it would be heard upstairs... my neighbour upstairs hasn't been bothered when i've done indoor chrono sessions... but they don't go on all day

I would say the report is no where near that of even sub sonic .22

the brake isn't baffled, so it doesn't send back much sound. However if you fitted a baffled brake, it does. Or you could just elect to strap on a silencer if it really is a concern. A silenced walther is extremely quiet when done right.

3. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

And probably illegal in the US Rob ;):D

4. PCPNewbie

PCPNewbie New Member

Thanks very much! Unfortunately, as JAGXRS notes, a silencer isn't available here in the states.

5. RobF

Club:
    ah...

then i'd say it's no worse that others...

are you allowed muzzle brakes?

6. PCPNewbie

PCPNewbie New Member

Yes. Muzzle breaks/compensators are okay. Silencers for air rifles are apparently a gray area in the law here and so no one offers them.

7. RobF

Club:
    ah, ok, well you maybe able to brake the sound in one direction, ie away from downrange. It will be noisier for you but not downrange.

I've found a tube of neoprene cuts down an enormous amount of noise... depends if you want to do that, but i wouldn't say the report of a walther is any noiser than any other pcp :)

8. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Care to test your Walter against my Wolf for noise Rob ;):D:D:p:p:D

9. RobF

Club:
    with you awake or asleep? :D

10. PCPNewbie

PCPNewbie New Member

I take it you believe the Daystate is quieter - as I'd suspect. Do you think significantly so for my purposes? Sorry to be so ignorant, but as I'd said, there's just nowhere remotely close (well, Phoenix, AZ perhaps 13 hours/850 miles away) to go check for myself. BTW, do you have the straight Wolf, MCT or MVT? Pleased with it? Thanks.

11. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Persuade your nieghbours to get a gun and shoot with you... 4 acres...wish I had that much land...compared to by back garden it's almost a small country:)

12. Feral

Feral New Member

I've got both and there is a significant difference out of the box between the Walther and the MK4 in terms of sound, relatively the Walther is pretty loud...although I'd be surprised if it was loud enough to disturb your neighbours... it is a real shame you can't put a moderator on, the loudest thing on my Walther with one fitted is the click when you pull the trigger.

My MK4 is a fantastic bit of kit but my Walther for me wins hands down.

...also we are assuming sub 12ftlbs here

Whatever you decide on you'll have a fantastic bit of kit.

Atb

Cliff

13. PCPNewbie

PCPNewbie New Member

Yep, we're fortunate here in the states in that there's plenty of affordable rural land if you're willing to live out of town.

14. PCPNewbie

PCPNewbie New Member

Many thanks! You're reply is pretty much what I expected. Both are very nice PCPs. The Daystates are quieter but the Domie is a real tgt gun. A Grand Prix would be nice but at US$3300, it's quite expensive. Because air guns aren't that prevalent here in the states, laws prohibiting silencers don't differentiate their legality on air rifles vs center/rim-fire guns. Importers/manufacturers haven't been willing to push the issue. It is nice we can get FAC versions w/o the licensing hassles you blokes go through. I'm afraid the US market isn't big enough for Walther to bother producing a truly baffled barrel for the states when adding a moderator works so well for you folks. Thanks again!

15. -=ed

-=ed New Member

moderators/silencers

There are a lot of myths concerning silencers in the US, so I spent some time on the phone with the Alchohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives boys in Boston, and got some info from Washington.

1) Silencers of any form are illegal, and have the same penalties as having an unlicensed gun. Silencers must be registered like a gun, and have a recorded serial number

2) Airguns with silencers permanently attached at the factory are legal. You cannot attach, even permanently, a home-made silencer/airstripper/muzzle brake/LDC and be legal.

3) Airgun crime is not a high-priorty item with the ATFE, especially if you're discreet.

4) The local Firearms Officer said he doesn't care about them as long as they don't screw on, and you're discreet.

5) The ATFE knows about athe existance of the many airgunmeets, and lets them slide, as they could confiscate and arrest the owners of many airrifles at these meets, and they don't... I assume because they are trying to keep a low profile... i.e. being discreet.

This is what I have learned while I tried to be legal.

A simple silencer, like the one I recently had made for $50.00 and attached to my Dominator with tape, almost completely silences it

FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, YCMNR

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010