Walther LG300 Alutec Dommy ACCURACY

Discussion in 'Walther' started by Globalstar66, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Guys, I need some help or advice.

I have been shooting my Alutec for a year now, and I'm not really happy with the rifle's accuracy - maybe I'm just full of crap, but here goes...

I removed the square barrel shroud the day I got it, but had a small piece of the shroud and the o-ring inside the a-frame stay there. The rifle was shooting 5-shot groups at 28m off a proper bench rest of around 16-19mm (outer measurement). I tried many different brands of pellets and different sizes, and even weighed pellets. It didn't seem to make any difference.

I have left the barrel for 500+ shots without cleaning, then cleaned thoroughly and again no difference. I have upped the power slightly, and brought it down, no difference in grouping.

Last weekend I removed the small piece of shroud and 0-ring inside the a-frame, so the barrel is completely free-floating. No difference either. I also removed the 2 side stock bolts, and again no difference.

Then I tried some JSB Express (7.9gr) pellets, and the grouping is down to about 9mm, but won;t get smaller.

With my old EV and a Hammerli, I can shoot one single (around 6mm) hole at 28m without too much fuss, and with almost any of the pellets i have.

I have tried JSB Exact 4.50, 4.51, 4.52, 4.53 as well as AA 4.51 and Daystate 4.52 and 4.53, Mozzies in 4.52 and JSB Express in 4.52, and also many various batches.

Is there ANYTHING else you guys can advise on? I have not tried shooting over my knee, as I'm not THAT stable to shoot a one-hole group at 28m. Maybe this gun just doesn't like being shot off a bench, i don't know. What worries me though, is Wian's Alutec shoots a sub-10mm group at 50m off the same bench.

He has had the exact same mods as mine, and he can use almost any pellet. off the bench at 50m, my gun will NOT shoots sub-20mm groups with ANY pellet.

I changed the reg, o-rings, seals and valve last week with brand new parts, and still the same. My rifle has only shot around 4000 pellets since new. And it's been like this since the day I got it.

I am out of ideas....Anyone else have this issue? Please share your thoughts. I have spoken to some of the engineers in the factory - their advice - clean the barrel....

Thanks

Robbie

2. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    walther

I had the same problem with my brand new walther alutec and had to change the barrel that sorted it out straight away.

3. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Drop Scooby a PM, he might be a bit busy this week though?

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    try sizing express / mossies to 4.49.

5. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    walther

i have see this whith a few walthers ... some barrels just group better than others ,i changed 2 barrels on my last one to get it the way i wanted it

what is i like further down range

6. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -

Correct...not all LG300 barrels are as accurate as one another...even if backed up by the Walther LG300 pellet card sample at 50m.

...methinks Walther didnt want to scrap the barrel, and hence, this barrel slipped through their quality control...

Mind you, Its 27J, and serial nbr 50567...and the last pic shows a couple of flyers no matter what he does to get accuracy by removing the action from stock :eek:

http://www.airguns.budu.pl/showme2.php?str=arsenal3_walther_Hunter

NB: If Walther is 'desperately' pushing out all remaining LG300 actions/barrels to get rid of inventory...I dont think Walther 'cares' what the resulting quality of their last guns are like for barrel accuracy. Rob, I would try several barrels from other LG300 you might have in stock...and you might find one thats upto scratch.:D

ATB.

Attached Files:

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    i've got better groups than my test cards have showed... pellets seem to make a difference...

i wouldnt bother relying on sizes printed on a tin, they mean nothing... they vary more than the stated bracket offered, and the head sizes are often smaller by some margin.

8. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Yes bored at work so measured some JSB's and got the following
    JSB 4.52 JSB 4.53
    Head Dia Skirt Dia Body Head Dia Skirt Dia Body
    Average 4.477 4.621 6.154 4.477 4.631 6.189
    Min 4.47 4.58 6.14 4.45 4.62 6.17
    Max 4.49 4.65 6.17 4.5 4.64 6.21

I got no idea where the 4.52 and 5.53 comes from with those figures :confused:

9. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

That's the funny thing - factory shot card only 7mm at 50m:eek::eek: which BTW, I don't believe as the truth. :)

Thanks guys, further down range the grouping opens up further.

Shot indoors at 50m 2 weeks ago, off the knee and from a benchrest - best was around 1 inch, worst around 30mm.

Wian's rifle off the same rest, I shot a few 5 shot groups of 10mm.

I am going to email Walther right now again.

Rob, have sized them to 4.48 and 4.49 but not better at all....I'm out of options.

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    what is it like over the chrono?

11. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Good luck with that one, even Sparky has turned his mobile off. :eek:

12. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Rob, it's pretty weird. With the JSB Exact, Daystate and AA pellets in 8.44gr, the spread is around 15fps. With the JSB Express, the spread over the chrony is only 4fps - very consistent, but will not group.

I have now sent Walther an e-mail, asking them to send me a new barrel - let's see what happens.

I have cleaned the barrel, sized & lubed pellets, weighed them, shot off a rest and off my knee, no diffs. Even fully floated the barrel, removed the 2 side stock screws just in case, but nothing gets it any better.

I'm tired of all the efforts - just want the damn thing to shoot reasonable groups, so the targets can fall over.

This afternoon at 25m, it was shooting 5-shot groups of between 15mm and 17mm.....not good.

13. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    I will check it for you

Robbie,

Tell you what, you know me I am always a helpful person.

When we meet up in Italy for the Worlds pass me the Walther and I will spend a couple of years checking it for you heehee.....

Berty

14. g.l.w

g.l.w Wonky

ALL HEART you Berty..................:D:D:D

15. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    It's probably a good job Robbie ain't going to Italy:D

16. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Seems as though you have changed everything that can affect this but the barrel, so this is the likely suspect. If other similar guns shoot accurately from the box, there has to be an issue with the barrel.
    You could push a pellet through your barrel and an accurate one and see if there is a difference in the depth and regularity of the rifling groves. Check your gun has the same rate of twist as a similar accurate barrel. May be a 10m barrel fitted in error at the factory. You may find re crowning the barrel will fix the problem, check it closely for burs and regularity.

If its 27J model, may have 16J barel, I have heard Steyr use a diferent twist rate for 24J guns, this may apply to Walther too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  17. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Thanks JEV.

Waiting for a reply from the factory this morning. :)

18. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Got a new barrel today - will be shipped from Germany tomorrow with some luck.

I will let you guys know what the result is once I have it.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Robbie

19. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Any luck with the new barrel?

20. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Hi Amac

New barrel arrrived on Thursday late afternoon, but I have not had much chance to shoot it. The little bit that I have, it seems quite a bit better than the old barrel.

Will shoot it at 50m tomorrow (weather permitting), and let you guys know.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Robbie