walther filling pressure

Discussion in 'Walther' started by hmangphilly, Nov 22, 2013.

1. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

'morning all
    i'm not clear about the 300/200 bar filling options on the walther rifles .
    is it either?
    is one pressure preferable to the other ?
    it could confuse a stupid person .....

2. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    "300" is something to be very careful about. Walther, I think, says it is ok to fill to 300 provided the cylinder is standard, within the expiration date and has no visible signs of damage (I say this as you were looking at used Walthers?).
    I never fill mine to more than 180, 190 and that is plenty for a 50-target + whistles GP.

If it were an Anschutz then the "300" refers to their max tested at pressure but they clearly state it should not be filled to more than 200bar. You will see similar things on other vendors cylinders - max test pressure (you really don't want to be around if it fails), max fill pressure (ordinary working pressure), production date, expiration date.

Anything with a quickfill adaptor fitted afterwards would not be covered by the original manufacturer's declaration. Some people are really very good about such mods and ensure they have been tested properly.

The other aspect is that some air cylinders (the ones you fill from) are themselves limited (300bar and 230bar) and Walthers come with adaptors for both - don't use the 230bar on a 300bar bottle as you will dump the rifle cylinder contents quicker than you can remove it :) I did that once and my 230bar adaptor is in a box somewhere but I won't find it quickly and it is nowhere near the regular fill adaptor hahaha

3. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    When using standard Walther cylinders in good shape the safety of using 300 bar is not an issue.

I only fill mine to 200 bar though. I got this advise from an olympic Walther shooter once and have kept to it since. He told me the velocity is more constant from 200 bar downwards and the reg seals have a longer life. All this for the 10m version, but I guess it goes the same for the 16J versions.

4. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

thanks fellas ,
    my 12l bottle is 230 bar so that should be ample to fill to 190's for loads of fills.
    what sort of average shot count should I receive at 12fpe, i'm talking about reliable velocity shots...ie excluding the few weird ones just after a fill .

the gun is stock standard and has got 2 cylinders one longer than the other.
    I think they are both steel
    and one is quite old (10 ish years )
    still haven't actually got it yet just got to overcome the few hundred miles between me and the seller . working on that as we speak.

if I was brighter id be able to show you the pics ive been sent

5. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    Walther has 4 different cilinders:
    Junior black aluminium (154cc, 450gram)
    Junior silver aluminium (180cc, 460gram, this a newer type)
    Standard steel (200cc, 380mm long, 750gram)
    Maxi steel (267cc, 930gram).
    According to a Walther catalog these maxi cilinders were also available with a quickfill, never seen one in real life. The maxi cilinders came as standard with the Dominator.

My junior black one gives at least 50 good shots from 200 to 90 bar, the standard about 80 shots. Do not know about the maxi as I never use it. Makes the rifle too front heavy.

6. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I fill to 200bar as it does not give the reg a hard time with 300 bar the reg squeals on my Walther after a shot.

7. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    There is another Al cylinder which is 385mm long which I think is the "Junior silver aluminium (180cc, 460gram, this a newer type)" mentioned above. I have one and I get a decent number of shots from a 190bar fill. It was a teensy bit tight to fit so I removed the plastic insert on the halter and stuck on a couple of felt pads. I think they are sold mainly for the AR20 (and/or LG400?) but they are bigger than the Junior but nowhere near as heavy as the Steels.

8. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    I fill mine to 200-220 more than enough for a few rounds of ft;)

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    200 bar fill guys. The best regulator in the world won't cope with 300bar down to 90 bar without a power curve.
    No need for the extra pressure either.

10. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

I like the idea of a quick fill option . So ordinarily what? You have to remove the cylinder to fill it ? Then re fit to the rifle ???can you still get that maxi with the quick fill ? It's the heavy one but it won't hurt for bench rest will it ... Heavier the better I would think. All those Lovely extra shots too

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013