Walther Efficiency with different pellets

Discussion in 'Walther' started by Gillian, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Gillian

Gillian New Member

Out of interest more than anything.

I have a very early Walther Dominator and I was wondering is anyone else has noticed a huge difference in the efficiency that the different pellets give.

Ever since I bought the rifle from new I have always used Daystate FT 4.51 pellets. It shoots these very nicely at 11.1ft/lb.

Now as these are becoming harder to find so I tried some JSB exacts in 4.52 (can not find 4.51 locally so far) these shoot about 15 ft/sec slower then the Daystate’s so a possible alternative.

Then I tried some light weight pellets like the crosman premier and these are being shoot slower then the Daystates/JSB and with these its down to 10ft/lb

As PcP is meant to be more efficient with heavy pellets like the H+N barracuda but in my rifle they are coming out at 9.5ft/lb.

I am just surprised buy the huge difference in the figures between the pellets.

So really the question is has anyone else seen this?

2. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    shoot jsb exact 4.51 matey or turn the power up to suit pellets etc jsb 8.4 run 777fps,mozzies 7.9g run at 810 fps etc,

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Yep, and not just on walthers. I've seen it with other guns. It's a common misconception that the weight of a pellet is directly tied to the muzzle energy/velocity... it is by maths, but the gun doesn't always push it out the same speed relative to weight, even between two pellets of the same weight, as you've found out.

If you get into sizing pellets, you'll see that there seems to be an effect there as well... sizing down on my walther removes about 5-10 fps.

The fit in the barrel may be at hand, some pellets seem tighter than others... however I don't give any credence to the stated head sizes on pellets these days... i haven't looked at flat headed match pellets, but the domes on JSB's and their rebadged offerings are nothing like the 4.51 etc stated, and the skirts are either not round enough to measure consistently or close either.

4. Gillian

Gillian New Member

I do think its to do with fit as some of the pellets were a tight push on closing the breach.

I was manly surprised buy how large the variance was, I was expecting a difference of about 0.5 ft/lb not 1.6ft/lb.

5. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    i no this happened to me with die 2 prems 7.9g they shoot out the gun 780fps and very tight in the breach,(shoot a mozzy 7.9g and the power went up to 810fps which the gun woz set to and the pellet woz a nice push fit into breach)jsb 4.52s r easy to get into the breach on my cr97 yet jsb 4.53 were quite hard and the power went down to,so yes its how tight they fit into breach can alter your power,its happened to me on steyr and cr97:):)

6. KarlC

KarlC Member

Club:
    Dowry Hill Ftc
    Pellet sizes

I had different results with different pellet sizes in every gun I have own and belive me thats alot of guns ..
    I tend to find adjust the power to the pellets you shoot only if they are grouping tight groups at top ranges.. then buy as many pellets in that batch as you can afford..
    All of my Walthers LG300`s shoot very nice with 7.9grn and 8.44 grn 4,52 mm JSB pellets and I get tight groups ..Karl