Wafta summer series, Rd5 - Castleton

Discussion in 'Calender Events' started by NJR 100, Jan 12, 2011.

1. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
  2. jukesy

jukesy New Member

Cant wait to go there again.

3. s410rainbow

s410rainbow Non member

castleton

i didn't mind the actual course, bit too much grass in front of targets! SOME KILLS WERE THE SAME COLOUR AS THE PLATE, but all-in-all not a too bad course.......thank you for the shoot:D

4. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Thanks for bugger all it was a complete pile of shite :(

Gary

5. countorik

countorik BFTA C Grade Champion 2010

Club:
    Tondu
    Casteton

Have to agree with Gary on this one, targets over-range, at least 10 targets had grass in front of them, I missed 3 shots because of the grass, and my shooting partner missed at least as many through hitting the grass, quite a few of the yellow face plates had the kills painted yellow as well. All in all a very poor effort, and I for one will not be making the 90 mile round trip again, after all, if they can't be bothered, why should I.

6. dozbadthebad

dozbadthebad NEFTA Clasic 2018

Club:
    NELSON
    Help

i loved the stander a club with so many handecap shooters thay put 2 targets where you cant shoot them if your handecap
    any ways my mail is not to complane but to offer HELP rather then do nothing when Casteton is putting a shoot on next time if you need help just ask
    so please dont do nothing ask our a once grate club will die a sad death and its own hands

7. NJR 100

Club:
    A generaous offer Doz, but lets be honest its not rocket science putting out a good course, you should not have to be offering to spend your cash top put another clubs course out correctly!

Zero range, boards at 55, 45 35, 25 yards. (Heard boards wer 38, 47 + 59 yards).

As pointed out above, kill zones need to be of a contrasting colur to face plate (in Rules)
    Kills zones should not be obstructed (its in the rules)
    Over range targets :eek: (the rules state the distances allowed)

The lack of effort in some of the Wafta clubs is why I am travelling and i have to say shooting Swefta, Csfta + Midlands regions has been great and worth the effort.

Si

8. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    setting courses

before i start or anyone else does i could not make the shoot at castleton as i was away for wifes 40th so i am in no position to comment on the course .
    however i agree with doz and also simon .
    i know what effort is needed to put good course out .and yes it is not brain surgery .

however i believe that all courses should be vetted before they are shot .
    there are basic rules that need to be followed and also some common sense that needs to used

kills and faceplates should be of a differnt color .be that yellow /black .white /black etc
    a good zero range needs to be put out with boards or plates at correct distances .
    target placement should be free from grass etc and visable from all postions where possible .
    to have grass in front of kills is just poor lane clearing .
    and if targets are overrange then that is just lazy course setting

i am not posting this to offend any wafta clubs but if we are going to have shoots then ensure the basics are followed

if any of the wafta clubs need help with courses , i am sure there are a few of us that would help out .all you need to do is ask

no one wants to turn up to a poor shoot .so i beilve we should work together and make things better and if clubs are not going to listen and ecept and ask for help then quite simply ,
    dont hold a shoot

9. Xbank

Xbank Member

Club:
    Nelson ARFTC
    Castleton shoot

As Doz has rightly pointed out, there are only a few members in Castleton who set out their courses and three of them are disabled. Castleton has been setting out courses for some 22 years and this is the first time that these difficulties have occurred.
    Pat Isaacs explained that hitherto, the farmer has always cut the grass prior to a competition, but informed them just before the shoot that he would be unable to do so due to his imminent hospitalisation –furthermore he was unwilling to allow the club to strim the lanes as he wanted all the grass for fodder. There was no time available for alternative solutions (i.e high posts etc). This was an unfortunate and isolated incident which was explained at the time to the shooters, which is why I am disappointed to see such negative comments displayed on an open forum, when we were all made aware of the situation pertaining at the time. It is surely befitting that any comments should be made only to the club concerned and to WAFTA.

John Lewis
    Chairman WAFTA

10. NJR 100

Club:
    Was there not time to cancell the shoot then due to the ground not being suitable?

You may be disapointed that people are venting their right to complain John, But i dont think you are as dissapointed as those that went and feel they wasted their time and money.

11. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    casleton

john as i stated in my post i wasnt there so only gave my comments on the basics of course setting ,
    i think you will find that castleton has more menbers than most clubs (although only a few shoot ft)
    please dont think that my post was slagging castleton of ,as it wasnt .
    i was offering help and advice and as for no time to change things well i put most of the tondu course up my farm with just 2 helpers for one day ,
    my view is if a wafta club cannot put on a course thats within the rules (and i am not saying castleton wasnt ) then they should speak up and ask for help

12. countorik

countorik BFTA C Grade Champion 2010

Club:
    Tondu
    castleton

John I was one of many who conplained during the shoot that there was long grass in front of the targets, face plates and kills painted the same colour (yellow) and over range targets ( one was checked by two differant range finders at 58 yards). The Castleton members who heard the conplaints shrugged their shoulders and said it was nothing to do with them, ( I know because I saw it). The reasons the grass was not cut was not explained untill after the shoot had finished, and they had rceived lots of complaints. This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened at Castleton, over range targets are common.
    Maybe airing our veiws on an open forum may get things changed at Castleton, because complainig to the members will not, after all, if I travel 45 miles to a shoot, pay my money, then I expect a reasonable course to be laid out.

13. NJR 100

Club:
    I have to fully agree with the above, Over range targets have been a feature of the Castleton Shoots i have attended in the past 3 winter leagues and I tend to agree that complaining on the day seems to have little effect.