Vortex viper PST gen 2 2/10x32 ffp

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Dom west, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Dom west

Dom west Member

Club:
    Barbarians
    Hi all
    Is anyone out there using the above scope for Hft
    If so what are your thoughts any issues with the ffp?

2. neil james palmer

neil james palmer New Member

Club:
    black cats
    Great scope mate. It works well for me I perfered it over my March scope. Using one on my annie and just got another for the steyr. Big thumbs up from me.

3. Dom west

Dom west Member

Club:
    Barbarians
    Nice is your first focal plane?

4. neil james palmer

neil james palmer New Member

Club:
    black cats
    Yes mate I shoot on 10x and it works well some people say the ret is to think but I prefer it as you can see when it snaps in when you head is correct so I dont fine it does not gives me to much hassle with parallax errors

5. Dom west

Dom west Member

Club:
    Barbarians
    Cheers mate
    Toby is having my leupold so I’m back in the market

6. markyboy

markyboy Member

Club:
    Black Cat shooting club
    Just got the same scope myself after looking through Neil's , really lovely glass.

Mark

Dom west likes this.
  7. sven

sven Active Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    I agree with the other posts. I have it for some 4 months now. I use it on 8x to get the hitzone of the under 15 yard targets visible. The FFP is really nice. Glas is really good en the reticle for bracketing and the focus are good for range finding. Not a cheap scope but it ticks all the boxes.

john79 likes this.
  8. john79

john79 JEDI

Club:
    MISFITS HFT CLUB
    As above I found it only usable on 8x to see the kill zone on a 20mm @ 8 yrds was still very blurry , I found the glass quite dull in comparison to a Leupold of similar spec!

Looked through half a dozen of these and all were different on the px setting , some needed 30 yrds others 40 yrds to be clear at 25 yards and usable at 45 yrds a very small window to get the required depth of field!

sven likes this.
  9. sven

sven Active Member

Club:
    Yes, I agree, and this helps with the range finding: When it gets seriously blurry its under 15 yards or over 42 yards. But the image is still good enough for aiming.

And you are right, at 8x the hitzone is very blurry at 8 yards. But when I move my head and look through the edge of the image I can see the hitzone clearer. I then know where it is when I move my head back to centre and take the shot.

I don't think the difference in PX setting is a problem, mine says 40 on the scope when in fact it is 25. But you need to adjust for your own eyes anyway.

john79 likes this.
  10. sven

sven Active Member

Club:
    John, which Leupold are you referring to?
    I looked but could not find a 24mm/28mm/32mm objective size Leupold with 8 x magnification and a reticle for bracketing.

11. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Sven there is the baby Leopold which poeple call it I think its a 32 objective lens magnification variable but goes to 8.5 magnification
    With a tmr reticule which I think is half and mildot hash marks
    They are nice scopes roughly £500 second hand.

12. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

These maybe discontinued from Leopold nowadays not looked on there website in years

13. sven

sven Active Member

Club:
    The only Leupold I can find that ticks the HFT boxes is the 1.1-8x24 Mark 8 for about $3000 ! No other Leupold models with 32mm objective or smaller, and 8x magnification.
    This means Leupold is not an option unless you can find something secondhand or are willing to pay a lot of money. I' d say the March is a better option in this case.

14. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

I am lucky enough to have a nightforce 32 objective lens with the mil-r reticule and mil adjustments good for HFT and also the march 24mm objective lens mml reticule both excellent scopes in my opinion but not cheap.
    Tried or owned pretty much all scopes which are suitable for hft in the past.
    I did not like the first generation vortex it used to white out in bright Sun light that was with a Sun shade.
    I have looked through a few second generation vortex scopes and thought they look decent enough reticule and glass but not really tested one.
    Like has been said before scopes are a personal thing what works for one person may not work for another plus everybody's eyes are different.