Vortex 2-10x32 Turret Locking

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Archer50, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Archer50

Archer50 Active Member

Anybody found a good way to stop the turrets on the Vortex 2-10x32 Gen II moving accidentally - especially the windage?

I've tried taping them, but that's a nuisance if I do want to make an adjustment, and anyway doesn't seem right for a £850 scope. I know I could undo the three grub screws, and let the outer turret rotate freely, which might turn out to be the best idea in the end, but again it doesn't seem right. Obviously I could check the turrets for each shot, but I know I'll forget and lose a crucial point or two just when it matters.

I've never had a scope without lockable or covered turrets, and I'm surprised what a pain it is. I know this is a very popular scope, and I'm finding it excellent in every other respect, so any other ideas?

Alan

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Top turret is easy, just undo the grub screws. The top section will turn then without actually moving the elevation.

Farington likes this.
  3. rubi-tong

rubi-tong Bernies MY *****

Run over it and send it back for a replacement lol

4. Jon Dally

Jon Dally New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    I have this scope and have had issues with moving the windage. I bought some cheap carbon tubing and cut a section to fit over the ridges. It’s kept in place by using 1mm sticky backed craft foam.

Not perfect but better than leaving the turrets as they are.

Also Reset them to zero so you know if you’ve moved them by mistake.

5. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Interesting Jon, I'd be interested in seeing a photo please. I might be able to make a 3D printed version.

6. Jon Dally

Jon Dally New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    They are nothing special, but would definitely be better as caps rather than rings.

The smooth tubing stops them rotating as easily when rubbed against the peg etc.

7. Pavel

Pavel New Member

What is idea of this carbon parts?

8. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Thanks Jon, it's something that has concerned me too. The elevation turret is easy to protect, just loosed the grub screws of the outer turret, you can still change the elevation clicks but you have to lift the turret top up to do it.

You can't do that with the windage turret though, so what I've done is just set it to zero and make sure I check it before I shoot, but I'd prefer it if I could protect it somehow. I'll have a look at designing a solution.

9. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

Bri, have a word with tench, see if he has a photo of his turret locking mech he made a while back,ingenious and could easily be 3d printed(well not by me.. but you would,easy)

Brian.Samson likes this.
  10. nick2

nick2 Active Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
    vortex 002 (1).jpg

Tench's creation for the side focus, you may be able to do something simliar for the windage, if you want to borrow it Brian.

Brian.Samson, MickyFinn and tillygti6 like this.
  11. nick2

nick2 Active Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
  12. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

That's the one Nick, thanks for sharing it mate

nick2 likes this.
  13. Phil S

Phil S New Member

Not sure what you are doing to move the turrets I’ve had one of these scopes for 12 months and had no trouble with the turrets moving. Just a suggestion you could take the turret off drill and tap it M2 and put an M2 grub screw in to lock it

14. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Cheers Nick
    I'll take some measurements and see if I can come up with something a bit more discreet. I've got the idea though, thanks

nick2 likes this.
  15. Archer50

Archer50 Active Member

Thanks guys. I'm trying a few more ideas of my own, and I'll let you know if any of them work. Until then, or when Brian comes up with his 'discreet' solution, it looks like insulating tape is the best fix - yet again.

Alan

16. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Just having a look to see if I could design something, but really there's absolutely no need whatsoever.

Here's the solution...

Elevation Turret
    Just undo the 3 grub screws. You can still change your elevation clicks by lifting the outer turret and turning the lower turret.

Windage Turret
    Just undo the 3 grub screws as far as they will go without protruding out of the body of the turret, then turn them back in 1 turn.
    This will be enough to stop the turret from coming off, but won't be tight enough to allow the turret to click.

The only down side is that if you want to change your windage clicks, you'll need to bring an allen key with you.

17. Archer50

Archer50 Active Member

Another solution: 25 x 3.5 O-rings under each turret. Push the turret down onto it and nip up the grub screws. The turrets will still turn easily enough when you want them to, but are too stiff to turn accidentally (I hope).

The exact size of O-ring is not critical, so long as they are reasonably fat.

upload_2019-9-23_12-22-43.png

Alan

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019 at 12:33 PM
    SpeckleD likes this.