Viper or sniper

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by griggzy, May 11, 2010.

?

MTC VIPER 10X44 OR EB SNIPER 10X42

1. MTC VIPER 10X44

24 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. EB SNIPER 10X42

60 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

after trying a long line of scopes trying to find a HFT scope that i like and dont have serious parralax error issues , ive come down to two.......... MTC VIPER 10x44 or EB SNIPER 10X42 .

what do you use ????????

2. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    falcon menace 10x42 are alot better than the milky mtc,

3. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    The EB is a far better scope Steve,

Sparky will correct me if I am wrong, but the EB is the most successful scope in the UKAHFT,

Gary

4. Andy006

Andy006 Member

Of those two, the EB Sniper is by far the better scope. I personally would go for an Elite 3200 10x40 bushnell. Fantastic HFT scope and cheaper than an EB and far superior than the MTC.;) IMHO.:cool:

[​IMG]

5. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

12-0 to the EB so far....I think that kinda says something!!!

6. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I get on fine with my MTC Mamba, same glass as the Viper... but it's all down to personal preference I suppose.

7. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Every scope will have px error, if you're consistantly finding it a problem with all the different scopes you've then it's down to gun setup and how you're using it. You'll find error with either of the above just as easily as with anything else.:)

Both scopes have done well, but the EB has a very strong following.:)

Ryan

8. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

arnt these scopes set paraax at 100 yrds or somwhere around that ? and i hear they suffer from serious paralax error ????

its looking like the EB SNIPER is the clear winner at the moment

9. Andy006

Andy006 Member

Yes the are set for longer range than we use at HFT. So what?:confused: You can easily use your hand and re-adjust the paralax. It's as easy as taking a pee.:) As for paralax error, no more than any other scope of the hundreds I have tried including a few EB's and viper's. The Optics are for me better than the two mentioned.

10. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

I have both the 3200 and EB scopes and they are both very good scopes. If money or weight was an issue I'd happily pick a 3200 however if they aren't a problem then it would be the EB everytime. I find the larger eyepiece and equally larger sight picture useful and more comfortable for extended use...think of it as watching a bigscreen tv instead of a 14inch portable:D:D The easily variable parallax is a bonus also, I tend to parallax to my zero range to make sure I'm getting the best possible zero before returning to the previous setting for a comp...I have 3 EBs and not one of them shifts when altering the settings:) Optically wise id say they, to my eyes at least, are very similar. Another added bonus is the sunshade option on the EB, I've found the 3200 picks up a lot of glare when even the unshaded, but heavily recessed front lense, of the EB copes well...add the additional sunshade and your covered for any eventuallity. :)
    Just my take on the 2 scopes :)

11. DarrenQ

DarrenQ New Member

Club:
    MAD
    Eb v mtc

Buy the EB if you don't get on with it I will buy it off you. MTC in my book are like watching a moth fly around a light bulb as far as paralax error goes.
    But I am by no means an expert.

Cheers Darren.

12. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

lol dont suppose you want a nice hawke 10x42 ;)

13. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    When they were made by Bausch & Lomb i would agree with you, but when Bushnell took them on quality can vary from scope to scope, i've had some good ones but also had some bad ones.

Pete

14. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Out of all the scopes named on this thread 100% the EB.

Pete

15. Feral

Feral New Member

I've had the EB, MTC Viper and the Bushnell e3200 and it's the EB hands down for me out of the three... currently enjoying my flirtation with a lightstream though ;)

16. Weevie

Weevie Banned

I've had both and the Sniper suits me better (I've also had the Bushnell 3200 too and like that too). I liked the MTC reticle but in the end the optics of the Sniper make it a better bet.

Given that maximum parallax error is a function of the size of the objective, the EB Sniper's 42mm objective should theoretically produce less maximum parallax error than the Viper's 44mm objective. In practice I'm not sure. I think Tim Finley's articles showed less error for the EB Sniper but I might be wrong.

As Ryan said though, ultimately the setup of your cheekpiece/stock/scope is probably going to be critical in helping you to get a consistent head position behind the scope.

17. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Have had the 3200 which was good, had the EB which was even better.Out of those two I'd have the EB...if I got an MTC it would be the Taipan...better quality than the Viper from what I saw at Kelmarsh but I've only looked through one and not used one on my rifle.

Dave

18. Andy006

Andy006 Member

To be honest, I quite like the new Hawke tac 30 10x42. These seem to be quite bright optically and could be very useful with that half mildot ret. Not bad for the money. Might invest in one soon.:)

Pete, I agree, the EB's I have had (two) have been very good and I do like them. But I have a couple of very good 3200's with Japanese lenses and they work for me mate.

19. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

BIG thumbs up for a bushnell 3200 10 x 40 , clear , easy to re parallax and build like tanks . Yes its only a 25 mm tube but that helps me as far as weight and balance goes , don't be confused into thinking that 30 mm scopes give better light gathering qualities either . ;)

I am going to try a menace again as I found them very clear but I am on the lookout for a EB sniper atm , great scopes IMO .

The Viper is clear at 25 yards but I could not get on with it at all , had real issues with focus even out to 20 yards with a PX of 25 ???

Try a few scopes on your gun if you can , the EB is a classy scope thats for sure and you wouldn't go far wrong by purchasing one .

atvb

Dave

20. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    EB for me on my Daystate, but I have Vipers on my TX200 and HW100.

My scores havent drastically improved :mad: since i switched to the Sniper, but its marginally clearer closer.

There are some good scores coming in with MTC vipers though, look at Dop, and Chris C to name but 2.

Wayne