Variable Mag Scope for BR

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Phil Kennett, Aug 11, 2019.

1. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    The Weaver Grand Slam. 6-20x is a great scope. Pretty compact. 1/8 MOA. Superb bright picture with fine ret plus target dot.
    I have used one for 25 yd BR and it has just enough mag. for 25 yds.

2. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Thanks I'll check it out

3. Lee Hazlehurst

Lee Hazlehurst New Member

Club:
    Doncaster airgun range
    I’ve been thinking about one of these for my daughter she’s 10 and loving br she has a 6-24x50 but we both think she needs more mag

4. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Hello Lee
    I'd definitely recommend having a look through one first. My sightron 36x is very fussy when it comes to eye placement and parallax.

5. Lee Hazlehurst

Club:
    Doncaster airgun range
    Hi paul
    Do u mean u get parallax error someone else has mentioned that my daughter is only 10 do u think I’d be better looking at a second hand big nikko

6. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

I'm no expert on scope set up but it took me a while to get the parallax set up on my scope. And to get the cheek piece set up so my eye placement was repeatable.
    I went from a 24x hawke that seemed fairly forgiving to a 36x sightron that was twice the price and dropped at least 5 points from my averageo_O. If I were to change my scope again I think I'd go variable mag this time as a 36x makes the gun very much single use. Personally I'd definitely recommend that your daughter looks through one if you can before you buy.

Fly fisher likes this.
  7. Lee Hazlehurst

Club:
    Doncaster airgun range
    Thanks for that paul I right appreciate it and know what u mean with the parallax error

have u tried centralising the clicks so they are half way then set it up with adjustable mounts I’ve been having the same trouble with my delta then a mate told me about centralising the clicks or u can do it with a mirror

have a look on YouTube about optically correcting your scope it will open your eyes pal
    Hope this helps

Paul_T likes this.
  8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    What you're having an issue with isn't parallax but the exit pupil which is the picture the scope sends to the eye. The size of the exit pupil is the objective lens size divided by the mag, so for example a 45x45 has a 1mm picture, and a 24x on a 56mm has 2.33mm picture. Your eye only has a pupil of 7mm when fully wide open but normally it's much smaller than this. And it will also balance against the other eye, which means if that's exposed to light and the pupil closes it could get smaller. Squinting one can make the other squint as well which is why people use blinds. This all means the latter scope has an image which is easier to 'pick up' than the former and means your head position isn't so critical and you can get away with a different position.

What this won't do is cure parallax error but higher mags allow you to see when the scope is more out of focus which can be an aid in showing you don't have parallax set right. But that does mean you need the eyepiece set up for the reticule first. The way to check if your parallax error has been removed is to move your head while looking through the scope while not moving the gun and see if the reticule 'swims' across the image as you move. If it does then you need to adjust the parallax until it doesn't. If this means your reticule loses focus then you haven't got the eyepiece set up to your eyes.

Although higher mags can be harder to get on with because they are more fussy about a consistent eye position, a more consistent eye and head position is better for more consistent shots.

For BR though a thin reticule is ideal as it allows you to see where you'll place the shot. But beyond that and the mag that suits you as long as it tracks and holds a zero throughout all the mag range then you can use what you like. The latter point is important as not all scopes work as they should (some have faults) and this is why more dedicated BR scopes don't zoom because they then can't have the issue and they don't have to have the extra lenses which cuts down image quality, and they cost less to make in comparison, so you get more for less so to speak.

gdavison, Lee Hazlehurst and Paul_T like this.
  9. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Thanks Rob/Lee both very interesting. I think I'm close to set up now but mostly by trial and error.

Rob, I had tried a blinder for 10m with apature sights a while back but I'd not thought of using one with a scope. I might give it a go. I also found out at the weekend my eyes have changed so I might need to tweak a bit more when I get my new prescription.

RobF likes this.