Using Parallax error for range finding in HFT

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Col. Johnson, Jun 11, 2019 at 10:58 AM.

1. Col. Johnson

Col. Johnson New Member

Club:
    Lea Valley
    I have noticed recently more people mentioning head position parallax for range finding in HFT.

I understand reading the severity of blur of targets not at the scope parallax setting and learning what targets look like to approximate range from how blurry they appear and other tell tales your scope can show.

However, its when people mention moving your head position around behind the scope and checking the parallax I am a bit in the dark.

Is it a case of moving head position and if the target moves "a lot" relative to the cross hairs its further away than if it "moves a bit". Do you just have to learn this movement or do you measure the movement using the mildots in some way? Like bracketing?

I may have the wrong end of the stick, but any help/explanation would be most appreciated.

2. mike

mike Active Member

Club:
    Meon Valley Airgun Club MVAC
    That's it in a nut shell

ATB
    Mike

3. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Would-be HFT shooter.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Yes - further from your "zero" point..

4. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    As with any shooting it's a case of getting used to and learning your equipment to get the best out of it.
    So the more you shoot and use this method, the more instinctive it will become as to what's going on with the scope. Trust your gut instinct as it's your sub-conscious doing the work for you, so don't muck it up by thinking your conscious knows better as it doesn't...;)

5. kennl

kennl Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Isn’t it further from the point that your parallax is set to. I’m parallaxed at 25 yd’s but zeroed at 30yds.

6. miketowler

miketowler Active Member

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    It’s a good job the wife doesn’t come shooting with me then??

7. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Would-be HFT shooter.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Isn’t it further from the point that your parallax is set to. I’m parallaxed at 25 yd’s but zeroed at 30yds.

Ooops - you're right!

8. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    or closer than.

MickyFinn likes this.
  9. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Parallax error? Just stop messing about and get a connect.

What on earth are you doing buying a scope with error built into it ??

10. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Parallax error? Just stop messing about and get a connect.

What on earth are you doing buying a scope with error built into it ??

11. johnbam

johnbam Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    Think important factor first is if you are doing this is not to trust your parallax dial reading. Have a look through the scope and determine the actual parallax range. For instance, my dial is set to just under 20 on the scope, the actual parallax range to my eye/focus ring setting gives me 30 yards.

Chairgun has a parallax applet that you can calculate the theoretical error. Works out for a 30 yard zero with a 42 mm oblective at possible +/- .7 cm at 40 yards (1.4cm total movement) to +/- 1.05cm at 45 yards (2cm total movement) Not a lot really but something to work on.

Parallax is the killer for me at close ranges. 8 yards gives +/- 1.5cm = 3cm total distance. Considering kills be 20mm at 8 yards thats plenty of room to miss. At 13 yards +/- 1.2 cm = 2.4cm of total displacement possibility, with a 15mm target, plenty of room to miss again.

For anything out to 20 yards, i will generally bring my head way back to black circle the sight picture and help recognise and correct the error.