Using Chairgun on your phone during a comp

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by johnbam, Feb 24, 2014.

1. johnbam

johnbam Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    Is it allowed?

Downloaded the app last week, and its dab handy having the aim points and ranging info on it, save me having a couple of bits of paper flapping away on the wind.

However, problems I can see, are it has an incline measurement tool and perhaps someone could use an app to range find.

I looked through the rules and there is nothing prohibiting the use of phone apps, only range finding devices.

Anyone clarify the UKAHFT stance on this?

Thanks

2. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    No wouldn't be allowed, it's not in the rules as it's something that should be known is not allowed with common sense as with quite a few other things.

And before the usual suspects come on with why not blah blah it's not open to discussion :cool:

Pete

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Ah but Pete, I need to have my phone on and with me at all times in case if an emergency. I store all my contacts in Chairgun under various different calibers.

4. johnbam

johnbam Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    Thanks for the clarification mate.

Is it allowed without common sense?

Lol joking :D Should really be in the rules though for clarification. Save daft coonts like myself asking these querstions.

Scenario on a shoot, someone is using one, Marshall "Thats not allowed" Wido phone abuser "Show me where thats written"

5. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    You are not allowed a jeep on the shoot either and that's not in the rules :D

Pete

6. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
    but

but are you allowed Gimp jackets :D

7. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    So I can use my quad bike then?

8. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    You would hit more targets that way Dan;)

Pete

9. airman

airman Banned

How would disabled people fair at one of the shoots or is this a game for only the select few yet again.

10. regsie

regsie Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT
    The very obvious answer is it depends on the disability:eek:o
    Llike if they were poorly sighted they may need luminous paint on the targets and if they asked the local club they would probably be happy to help :eek:

11. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    It's that time of year again:eek:o

12. johnbam

johnbam Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    Lol mate, would be no bother clearing the course and anymarshal arguments could be swiftly dealt with via a bull bar :D

13. airman

airman Banned

well seeing that it is obvious would they be able to use any wheels of a sort.

14. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    For the OP: John, just to let you know but the Sarpa 'Rules Group' led by Ian Carlin have been through it and made this a clear point, any electronic devices won't be allowed to be used in Sarpa shoots from now on, Ian will probably make this clear before Rd 1 at Westfield.
    One obvious reason I can think of is that Chairgun on the iPhone can used to measure angles. Unfortunately that means for those people who store their range card or bracketing charts on their phone, they'll need to get pen and paper working.

15. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

There are plenty of disabled shooters who attend regular hft shoots. A chap from kibworth shoots who has only one leg and he seems to get on fine. Alot of the clubs accomadate disabled shooters and often start them at the first peg to make the route easier for them as its just once round and no backtracking, as far as wheels are concerned I suppose a good rugged wheel chair would be allowed but that would have to come from the organisers of each discipline.

16. blackscale

blackscale Member

Quite obviously somebody is trolling, what i can say, having seen it with my own eyes and done it at my club, is every single person i have met will go out of their way to help a less abled shooter!

If it were any different i would choose another hobby, i personally help round an old boy every shoot (Simmmo)...

:D:D (some would say that would be a good thing...) :rolleyes::D:D

17. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    so are daystates out now :D or are they considered a disability

18. johnbam

johnbam Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    Cheers Greg,

The reason I put it up here and rather Scottish airgunner is I was looking for the word from Sparky on it and din't know it had been discussed by the SARPA chaps.

Secondly the push on the rule side of things, was due to the 'guidelines' palava of last year we had :D

Anyways cheers also for clarification on the matter :D

19. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    You mean the Daystates with electronics in them. Good point. I would like the answer to that from the SARPA guys banning electronic devices. And electronic thermometers like some FT shooters are using are also not allowed? And is an illuminated reticle not an electronic device as well?
    I'm all in favour off banning electronics from (H)FT shooting, including the Rowan digital side wheel, illuminated rets, etc.

But making a good set of rules is not that easy. I personally like the way the WFTF has formulated their rules on equipment in article 1.4 http://www.world-field-target-federation.com/attachments/article/48/World%20Field%20Target%20Federation%20Comprehensive%20Rules.pdf
    They use a list of equipment that you are allowed to use. Much easier to define and regulate than banning things in rules.

(now they only have to add a ban on Gimp coats in article 1.5 and i'm a total fan of the WFTF :D)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  20. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Sven, I think you have to apply common sense here. We're obviously talking about hand held electronic devices; it's not limited to phones because you can run Chairgun on an iPod, or it could be a wind meter etc. No one uses temp gauges in hft (ft is not in question here) and an illuminated reticle is not an electronic device - it's an electrically powered display.