Use of Laser in FT (Pointer, Not Rangefinder)

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Marco Piccardo, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Marco Piccardo

Marco Piccardo New Member

Hello everybody,
    I m an Italian Field Target shooter, I was dealing with the problem of finding the target in low light conditions. I would like to mount a laser pointer like this one:

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2942&d=1298568773

Now, my question for you, would it be permitted in a FT competition? Please note that would not be in any possible way useful for rangefinding purposes, but just to point your scope and be able to find your target quickly at 40X/50X. I noticed that some shooter in the Worlds Champ. Used a holo pint(reflex red dot) for the same purpose, so I reckon is pretty much the same and both should be allowed… Am I right?

The red dot i saw was like this one:
    http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/prodimages/tactical_red_dot_lg.jpg

Thaks,
    ceers from Italy
    Marco

2. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Maybe or maybe not.

It will only be in the kill at one range and then you could use it to range find if it lines up with cross hairs at one range it will then tell you if under or over that range. I think also the dot will be very large at 50m.:)

3. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi Marco,

The first one is illegal because it projects a dot at the target and this is prohibited in the rules, and the reason is that this can be used for rangefinding (a quite precise rangefinding anyway, if set up properly).

The second one is allright because it can't be used for rangefinding on any way (nothing is projected on the target), but an iron sight or a small tube can do the same and never runs out of batteries...

4. Marco Piccardo

Marco Piccardo New Member

:eek: never thought about it!!!

Ok that's fair enough not to use it... shame anyway, it would be cool:)

Thanks a lot guys!!!