Use of glasses to shoot, another way please ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by rr-rob, Aug 26, 2019.

1. rr-rob

rr-rob New Member

Club:
    n/a
    Hi all, I have been shooting for many years, my problem is glasses, unfortunately without them the target is out of focus and then becomes guesswork, with them it’s sharp but I get Parallax problems it’s as a challenge to line up my eye in spot on same place every time, the ret is adjusted for crosshair focus with or without glasses that is done ok, A question please, I realise there is distance focus which will also give you yardage to target, but is there such a scope that has a secondary focus the would do the job the glasses do please ? rob

2. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    Hi Rob,
    What type of shooting are we talking,?
    I also wear glasses but shoot without them for hft, reticle set for my eyesight parallax set to give the clearest picture I can between 13-40 yards with blur before and after these distances, the same will hold true for people with 20/20 vision, A scope with a small objective lens usually has a longer depth of field, However when it comes to parallax error unless you get your head in the same place every time you will only be parallax free at one distance,
    wearing glasses ,not wearing glasses makes no difference,

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    pbrown likes this.
  3. rr-rob

rr-rob New Member

Club:
    n/a
    Hi Frank
    HFT shooting, Unfortunately its a damaged optic nerve through secondary glaucoma so glasses are essential, yes crosshairs are adjusted to be perfect focus by the reticule adjustment and when the scope is focussed onto the target it is in focus if wearing glasses but not in focus without glasses, it would not be good to start wearing a contact lens, so I thought it would be worthwhile to ask on here as I’m sure others may have overcome this, maybe there is a scope available that would do the job ? I’m using a Bushnell 6500 on a Daystate Mk4, any thoughts anyone please ?

4. rr-rob

rr-rob New Member

Club:
    n/a
    Sorry Frank I’ve just re read my response to you and realise that I didn’t thank you for very kindly taking the time to respond, very much appreciated Frank and thank you

Farington likes this.
  5. beaker

beaker Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    I do FT and wear glasses for reading, i tip glasses down on nose a bit so when looking through scope i'm looking over the top of glasses.

6. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    Hi Rob,
    As far as I know no scope exists that will do what you ask, shooting with your glasses on is not a problem in itself, but I agree it makes it that much harder to get perfect head position, perhaps changing to something like the mtc connect would help, it has minimal eye relief so less chance of parallax error,
    This scope however will not be as good glass wise as your bushnell and the range of reticule adjustment may not be enough for you, someone at your club is probably using one, ask if you can have a look to make sure it would work for you before you consider purchasing one, best of luck hope you get it sorted

7. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Are you using varifocals? My prescription is quite strong, so use fixed focus glasses for shooting.

8. GraySaint

GraySaint WFTF 2015 World Champion

There are few solutions to glasses problem.
    First, is to use special shooting glasses, like these: Varga 3000 Pistol shooting glasses with ISSF eye shield, hard case, alloy clamps | eBay
    The rotating lens can be regulated to be parallel to the scope lens, therefore your sight will go through the glass on the optimal angle and you will have less distortion caused by the lens not being perpendicular to the line of sight.
    Second, you can put your prescripted lens directly on the scope by modifying a lens cover or by using some kind of adapter (some scopes have a thread on the ocular).
    The thing you want to achieve is your prescripted lens should not move relative to the scope.

9. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    I shoot FT and wear glasses now varifocal and dont have an issue ranging or seeing the ret in my sightron 10-50x60 LIRIMH, the head position and eye position is the same each time and the ranges come in smack on I very very very rarely miss due to range. Wind on the other hand now that's a different story lol.

If I set the scope to work without glasses it performs equally I just then cant see properly when they are off, so just wear them 100% of the time.

Bri

DazF likes this.
  10. johnbam

johnbam Active Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    I'm with Bri. I cannot see so well without my glasses, so scope is set up with glasses on. What Bri hinted at is rather than look for a solution for the glasses, find the solution to the parralax issue so you can get repeatable head position on your scope. I also got new glasses this year that have quite tight wire frames. Grip the head pretty well, and dont have the constant look down the scope then have to push the specs up hassle.

ATB

John

BDL likes this.
  11. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    Same here, I also found using a Bisley Scope maximiser helps with getting the same head (eye) positioning and I shoot with my last pair of varifocal glasses not my current pair as my current ones are photochromic - I reasoned why darken a already difficult to range target on a sunny day (the prescription is so similar between them I cant see any difference). I luckily have excellent short range vision so sometimes pop the glasses up to look at turrets or range markings on a wheel as they are in perfect focus without glasses

I also had a PVD (Post Vitreous Detachment) in my right eye earlier this year which increased the floaties and shadows a fair bit which is worse in "bright" conditions as more shadows are formed, the scope maximiser helps reduce these too. However a few months after the PCD I then got a epiretinal membrane form on the macular, this is the proteins from the PVD and sticking to the macular (think like scar tissue), the effect is like looking thru a glass window that some one has stuck strips of sellotape on it in a few random positions .. most of my vision is clean, but some areas have blurry detail. Ranging therefore sometime becomes finding the least blurry area on a faceplate or string or some other detail I can find

IMO stick with the glasses and perhaps try a maximiser

BDL likes this.
  12. Archer50

Archer50 Active Member

I too have had PVD in both eyes. I have tried varifocals, single vision lenses, bifocals, and corrector lenses in the scope. I sometimes use a maximiser, depending on the scope, to help with head position, not to improve the image. Now I just take the shot itself without glasses. I use a neck cord or simply take the glasses off - a PITA, but for me not only the simplest, but in the end the most effective solution.

Good luck

Alan

gdavison likes this.
  13. Fly fisher

Fly fisher Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    This is an interesting subject and all the posts are relevant. I am optically challenged (half blind) and I found the prone position in HFT very difficult while wearing glasses. I tried without glasses but with the fast focus turned all the way out which was fine until my sight deteriorated even more. I then returned to FT where I could shoot head up and discussed this with my optician who is a very accomplished rifleman. I ended up with a pair of Rodenstock varifocals which now allow me, after a few months of practice, to shoot reasonably well. Interestingly I can now see the difference between 52.5 and 55yds. These glasses are not quite the price of a 9015 with a March on top but they are the best investment in my shooting future so far.

kevinkunkle and gdavison like this.
  14. rr-rob

rr-rob New Member

Club:
    n/a
    Hi Everyone, thank you for all your input, some very interesting points brought up, it seems the most possible answer is the suggestion of somehow fixing a prescription lens to the scope, also wondering if an FFP scope might help.

I will try fixing a lens to the scope and see if it works. As one said his vision is impaired without glasses, so glasses are a necessity made worse buy using a pigs ear/maximiser.

Pushing glasses onto a maximiser is difficult to achieve the same head/eye position every time avoiding parallax, the reason for having to use a maximiser is a fused neck (Ankylosing Spondylitis) therefore not able to move the head in any direction at all, so the head is forced to try to line up eye centre to target whilst tying to keep on the cheek piece also

All in all it’s a challenge, obviously laying prone or swimming is impossible as the head can’t tilt, I doubt if many have heard of it but some may remember seeing old people bent over double in the very worst cases, I would be very interested to hear of anyone else overcoming the challenges of shooting with Ankylosing Spondylitis please, it’s a form of arthritis where the spine/neck vertebrae fuse together, thank you

15. Fly fisher

Fly fisher Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    rr-rob I wish you well with your challenges and the following may be relevant or at least something to think about. A friend who is nowhere near as young as he used to be who wears heavy duty varifocals and now is physically incapable of getting into the sometimes demanding HFT positions, rather than give up shooting he has opted to shoot HFT using the FT off the bag seated position. With his rifle well set up (knee riser and adjustable cheek piece) he is now able to shoot head up in a totally unstressed way and is usually able to avoid parallax error. If this approach is something worth considering, you could easily adjust your scope position to use a maximiser and as you are head up, looking straight down the centre of the scope is easy. The Ankylosing Spondylitis is clearly causing a good deal of discomfort and there is nothing good about pain. Please don't give up shooting but perhaps looking at alternative approaches may be the best way forward. Good luck!

16. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    I agree the "solid" pigs ear version does not work well with glasses, however I personally find the Bisley one is very good with glasses

[​IMG]

I found it should not fitted "straight" as shown above but rotated to match the incline of the head .. My old FTP looked like this

[​IMG]

Fitted like that the head sits on the same incline on the cheek piece and the maximiser cuped the glasses . Perhaps the shape of my glasses works better than others as I could see some shapes would be a real PITA,.. (Dame Edna Everage may struggle :cool: )

17. rr-rob

rr-rob New Member

Club:
    n/a
    Hi this

18. steve1000

steve1000 Member

Club:
    Wendover, North Oxon
    Hi, are you shooting ft or hft ? , for ft I wear normal single vision glasses and for hft I had some snooker glasses made which do help a lot in the prone position, ( think Denis Taylor and your not far off ) :D . Hth

19. rr-rob

rr-rob New Member

Club:
    n/a
    This is all so helpful thank you guys very much indeed, firstly, unfortunately I’m not 37 but 67 be nice to lose 30 years but sadly not the case! Lol, I’ve asked admin to correct this asap, my apologies to admin.

Yes I’ve found the maximiser helps a lot but not so easy to hit the precise spot for no parallax problem with glasses on, I have now tried putting it on the cant which is a lot better now thank you.

Interesting seeing your amazing FTP 900, the 500 also has the cheek piece on a gimbal so it would be possible for the cheek to sit over more to line up with eye to scope, as I say fused neck can’t angle or tilt the head in any direction.

It has been suggested I try a FFP scope which I haven’t before, any thoughts on this one please ?

One last thought please, has anyone tried doing away with glasses and asking an optician to make up a 40mm round prescription lens to set it into a maximiser ?

Look forward to any further replies

Grateful thanks to all and your response is so much appreciated, rob

gdavison likes this.
  20. Archer50

Archer50 Active Member

I can't think of any reason why FFP would improve things for you. I sometimes use an FFP scope, and don't find any difference optically from SFP, but it's easy enough to try.

I have tried prescription lenses in the maximiser, or in fact, in the eye piece itself. For me it was no different from using my glasses, optically, but the lens didn't get as dirty, and stayed dry when it rained. However, it still meant I had to wear glasses for getting round the course etc, and had to take them off to shoot. Like I said, for me personally, taking my glasses off at the last minute and taking the shot without them is not ideal, but it is the best technique I've found.

Good luck

Alan