Update on my Steyr Modifications

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Thepointman, May 3, 2013.

1. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Good Ole Boy's Field Target Club & Invicta Field Target Club
    I've been working on this old Steyr since the Winter. I've attempted to incorporate the best of the things that I like from each model into this gun. Ive also attempted to add things that make the rig consistent from day to day. Below are pics of the most recent additions to the rig.

I swapped out the old single screw chassis for a new LG110 chassis with two barrel screws. A big "thank you" to my friends at Steyr for making me the new chassis for this rifle and getting it here so promptly!! I have also added a brand new scope rail by Jon Harris. Jon was amazing to work with on this. He made a super nice rail exactly to my request. A big Thanks to Jon as well for his help!! I also swapped to a Burris Picatinny style scope rings with (6) six screws! I'm just now testing these new rings, but my first observations are that they are incredibly strong and durable.

Lots has been done internally to the gun by me. It's running an 85 bar reg., a somewhat custom hammer - spring - external adjuster assembly that I worked out. The gun is putting JSB Express out at 810 fps with an average variation of about 3-4 fps. The gun has an old Barley Twist, hammer forged Steyr barrel. I recently added a new Steyr factory air stripper. Thanks to my buddy Tyler Patner for the stripper, as it was surplus to his needs.

I guess at this point you could say I have a " Franken-Steyr"! LOL the gun is shooting great with die 30 JSB Express. I do plan to make a new set of laminate wood, time permitting. I like Gary Cane's laminate sets, but the price to get it to the US is prohibitive. (If anyone has a spare set they want to part with, drop me a PM and we'll talk).

So far, that's about it!

Take care,

Harold

[​IMG]

Check out these massive Burris rings!
    [​IMG]

Jon Harris rail is a fantastic addition to this rifle!
    [​IMG]

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Does ?

Hello young fella . have you had a chance to compare the LG110 barrels and the LG100 hammer forged barrels against each other . accuracy and windage wise . i have asked this question a few times but never get an answer . i ask cos i have just sold my LG110 to get a LG100 to bull pup ( GINB stock ) so i will be able to have a good idea shortly if what is said is correct ??? HOLLY:)

3. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Hi Holly,

Unfortunately, no I have not compared barrels as both of my Steyrs were old guns with old barrels. I have yet to shoot a new model Steyr with the new barrel, so I cannot give a comparison. Sorry, maybe someone else can answer your question.

Harold

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Shot

I have shot the LG110 off the bench extensively and in two comps . so i know that barrel pretty well . gonna try the new one ( to me ) tomorrow at the club , so will have a better idea after that . the old BSA barrels were hammer forged and were suppopsed to be of the most accurate . will report back ??? HOLLY:)

5. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Holly,

Here's a 6 shot group I shot using JSB Express at about 810 fps, 50 yards, off my knee with this Steyr. There was a light right to left wind that day. I couldn't ask for much better.

Harold

[​IMG]

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Good

Good group off hand . i am afraid my testing session did not go so well . turns out the rifle has a 85 bar reg and the old trandsfer port , which i did not knoiw . good groups to start with but bad windage . put the rifle over the chrono . 658 . turned the rifle up and up and up . top whack 774 . but the rifle was jumping in my hand . accuracy was at best dismal with the rifle feeling more like a 30.06 . the old owner turned up and said yes you will need a black transfer port in it . oh well . will try again later when i can get one . or possibly drill out the one i have to 4 mil ??? HOLLY:)

7. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:

My rifle has the black transfer port. It doesn't move during the shot cycle. Or, at least it doesn't seem to move. You can drill out your old transfer port as I've been told. That will likely solve your problem there and get you more shots per fill.

Best of luck with it!

Harold

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Yep

Yep i am told 4 mil is the way to go . gonna try to drill it out in the week . such was the recoli/jump that holding it resulted in groups that went everywhere . so i tried to just rest it on the bench and use it like a springer . got a couple of nice groups . but not what you want . going to try to get some more allen bolts in the breech / barrel end as well as it looks a bit whippy . then we will see . cheers HOLLY:)

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    IF

If anybody is interested intershoot have the black transfer port fot £ 20 ??? HOLLY:)

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Got

Intershoot e-mailed me to say that they will be in stock in 7 to 10 days . in the mean time a mate drilled out the silver one to 3 and a half mil for me . now smooth as a smooth thing to shoot ??? HOLLY:):D

11. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Nice! Glad you got it sorted out. I'm really pleased with the shot cycle of mine. That black transfer port works well.

Harold