Up / Downhill shooting

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by greytemples, Jan 22, 2013.

1. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    and if you dont have aladder, call the fire brigade.
    Ask for me and bring the his ladder

Once finished you can clean the guttering.

2. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Just worked through the thread with a brew.

I've always used the base of the tree rule for targets over about 30 yards. Seemed to have worked well for HFT.

Always confused myself to death though with close ones.

IE ... close zero is 15 yards ( this is no dialling HFT btw ). So a 15mm target that is 13 yards away but at a very steep angle up a tree. On the level I'd shoot a 15mm kill at 13 yards at top of kill but where do I aim for the steep angle ... low or high ? From reading this thread I don't worry about it and just shoot it as normal at top of kill?

Anyway ... I don't know if this is of any use ... but the couple of posts about headwinds etc ... I also got myself in a pickle over this ( all to do with trying to find a reason for the 77 zero shifting ). One day down the club on the zero range there was a healthy 20mph wind ( forecast had said 20mph ) straight down the range from shooting position to targets. I was shooting at paper at 35 yards and I was grouping well ( cloverleafing ).

I was bang on zero. So I started frying my head ... Was I actually now bang on zero ... or was this wind changing the poi and the poi had actually moved because of the 'shift' and the overall result meant I was actually on zero? This is what springers have done to my brain.

Anyway ... there was only me there ... so I reversed the situation. I shot from where the target was and put the target where I had been firing. So I'm now shooting directly into this strong wind ( but it is only 35 yards ). Made absolutely no difference at all. Groups were still bang on. Moved it again and tried it with wind behind me again. Absolutely the same. So now I just don't worry about wind being behind me or in front of me.

3. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    I'm not worried about inclined shots... I'm interested and I'm probably not alone in my interest :)

The truth of the matter is that in the past when I've come to a steep inclined shot, I've tended to just aim a bit low and that's done me ok. I have missed a few inclined shots in my time - with a bit of preparation and understanding I think I can improve that situation with a bit of investigation and learning.

Take HFT for an example since Colin brought it up... for a 15mm kill at 13 yards - you aim about where you would normally aim.. and that would probably be ok.

Now take an 18 yard target at a steep angle (say 40 °-45 °) now where do you aim? Do you know for sure?

Here's a real world example at a UKAHFT event a few years back at Anston (photo attached) - From memory I think the target was about 18 yards away - the angle looks to be about 40 °-45 ° - Sparky missed it. When he spoke to me about it later on he said he wasn't sure what adjustment he needed to make to his aimpoint to make the shot. He made a bad choice and did the wrong thing, as did lots of people on the day.

In HFT 1 target can make the difference between winning and coming 6th place... so just a bit of preparation beforehand might have won the event for someone on just that one target.

I've been doing some calcs.. not sure if they're correct or not but I seem to have identified a range and angle of targets that will make people miss if they apply their usual, don't worry about it approach. I might share my theory with Calps and see if I can influence him to set up a target to catch most people out at the Anston GP :)

Attached Files:

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    He alread said Gp will have steep inclined shots and those pointing to Hell, practice for Worlds.
    Should be interesting:)

5. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Yeah he usually does.. but I think I can help him to optimise the evilness of his targets even more :D

Be interesting to see if this thread gets resurrected again after GP9

6. Wayne65

Wayne65 Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Lol

Too True Dave and then there is Emley with its head spinning steep shots too.

7. old foggy

old foggy Active Member

Club:
    loughborough air gun club
    i was told the 15/ rule, 15 degree do nothing,between 15-30,aim bottom of kill, 30 + and very steep aim off bottom of kill,this is for hft, nice and simple, seem to work ok

C.Eaton likes this.
  8. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Here's a table of changes in poi based on angle and distance. It's based on sub 12 airgun with JSB Exacts running at about 11.4 fpe.
    Scope height makes no difference to the answers.

[​IMG]

Table added for completeness really since this thread is nearly 7 years old and people's attitudes to inclined shots have changed in that time. Maybe it's because we're seeing more and more of them?

Emma, pbrown and cowandchicken like this.
  9. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

I usually shoot more or less the same at short ones and longer targets take 4 or 5 yards off the target distance or aim lower.
    This is for HFT.

10. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Also target history tells you a story too.

MickyFinn likes this.
  11. mak1

mak1 Member

Club:
    Mirfield
    Sorry don't know how to get the link up

YouTube
    look up below I know it's firearms related but still the same

Sniper 101 part 33

12. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    No - that video uses what's known as the Rifleman's rule which is wrong for airgun ranges.

Read the other stuff I've written on the subject which explains why it's wrong.

13. Glenn

Glenn Member

Now he tells me. Haha.