1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UKAHFT - Whats happening in 2010 UKAHFT with the 0.22" class ??

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Questions and Answers' started by Lloyd_D, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Lloyd_D

Lloyd_D New Member

Hello,

Regarding the .22 class in UKAHFT in 2010, what's the score ?

Hopefully there will be a stand alone class as this year and previous year's. But I've heard differing things and as yet have not had a defo on anything.

Does anyone, or Mr Spark's know ?

My personal feelings on the matter are that it would be unfair to put .177 springers up against .22 PCP's as average scores show that the .177 springers have a definite advantage with range finding margin of error :D. Things maybe on equal footing on mickey mouse course ranges but not at UK national level's.

Cheers,

Lloyd

2. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Hi Lloyd

it depends on numbers, and if this year is anything to go by there won't be a .22 class in 2010.

Pete

3. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

As Pete has said it's all a matter of entries, in 2009 we only had 2 x .22" shooters who shot at least six rounds & in total over the whole 9 round series we only had 35 entries. Each year we get lots of shooters saying they will shoot the class & then the never bother.

We actually had 5 rounds this year with 3 or less .22" shooters

4. Weevie

Weevie Banned

If it's the challenge .22 shooters are after, then surely taking on .177 shooters with their advantages must be a greater challenge. After all if challenge is everythying then 'silverware' doesn't really matter does it? Seeing how well they do against the .177 shooters should allow .22 shooters to guage their acheivements.

If silverware does matter then why not go to .177. Shooting with a .22 should have improved the .22 shooter's rangefinding techniques (and I suspect it will have too, I reckon, for example, Johnny Smith's rangefinding skills are up there with the best) and learning the wind is probably tougher with .22 (since wind deflection is mostly a factor of time to impact rather than weight or size of projectile) so .22 shooters should do pretty well.

Either way arguably, unless there's significant demand, there's not really a need for a separate class.

5. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

Maybe to give the others a chance Sparky should go .22?? I'm sure others would then follow suit to try and beat the master:cool::cool: Sparky gets to prove himself, the .22 class gets the much needed boost and the mere mortals in the open class get a chance:)

:D:D:D

6. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I think it is silly to give out prizes, when there are only 2 shooters in the class.

So instead of giving out a throphy on the day for the .22 class, just give a big .22 trophy for the end of year.

7. dimmer0707

dimmer0707 Member

The scores for both the .22 and springer classes were much of a much ness this year with the .22 coming out on top in most rounds .
    Top scores of the class

R1= .22=53 spring= 50
    R2= .22=51 spring= 54
    R3= .22=51 spring= 53
    R4= .22=54 spring= 47
    R5= .22=58 spring= 57
    R6= .22=54 spring= 51
    R7= .22=44 spring= 51
    R8= .22=47 spring= 52
    R9= .22=51 spring= 49

So a .22 shooter would have one 5 off the 9 rounds if the two were to combine and lets not forget there were more guys shooting the springers at each round so just don't see how shooting a twager can be that much of an advantage :confused:.I say lets get them together and make a group worth shooting in as far as numbers go and give the top guys in both groups a bit more to shoot against ;).
    ATB Matt.

8. skires

skires Well-Known Member

When there was the 'hypothetical' thread a while back about putting all types into one class but then having grades I was set against that as I thought it would eliminate people shooting 0.22 and springer.

Looking at the turn outs this year ... 2 people attending 6 rounds to qualify in 0.22 and only 3 people in springer I think it's just a matter of time before those classes disappear. A shame but it's crazy having placings and trophies with such low numbers.

9. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Vince, he's going one better next year to give everybody a chance, he's shooting a DAYSTATE

TRAITOROUS DOG :eek:

10. del boy

del boy Delbo

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    derick stone

why dont they have handcaps for classes

11. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Because that doesn't improve anyones shooting imo, gives false results.

Pete

12. dimmer0707

dimmer0707 Member

Have you seen me shoot :p:D

13. simmmo

simmmo Member

I would argue that it is difficult to come to a sensible number of points for a class handicaps.

Most wil inevitably be too generous to the good shots if they get the poor shots up amongst the pack.

We use it in SiHFT and last season gone juniors were often getting 100% as did a boinger from memory.

You could argue that the handicaps were spot on in this case, but at one shoot the top score when adjusted was 63.

They were originally conceived as it was felt that it would be needed due to lack of no.s in .22 and spring to make classes but so as to give these people a sense of belonging in the competition and be able to contribute to the team score on the day.

It has and does do that but the trouble is a good junior, .22 shooter or boinger will always be up there the fact maybe that the rest aren't just means they may need to raise their game.

Andy

14. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I did a few shoots at Fort before the inevitable Summer break ( me ... not Fort ) and they started their GPs with a +5 for springers. I think they found that to be too big a gap as they now seem to have shortened that to +3.

I personally don't think there's any need. I think handicapping can just lead to more controversy with results. I'm coming round to the idea of throwing everyone into the same class and just let people shoot what they want.

Those that want to get the highest number of points they can, and have a variety of types of rifle, will probably choose PCP 0.177 and that's fine. Those that want to shoot 0.22 or recoil, because they just enjoy that more, will do so. I still think it may lead to an extinction of recoil shooters but with only 3 qualifiers this year these shooters ( myself included ) have probably sealed their own fates.

As the number of entries for 0.22 and recoil is so low there seems little satisfaction to be gained from acquiring a gonk from winning such a class.

It still would probably be nice if the folk shooting 0.22 or recoil could have that indicated in the results ( in brackets next to name ) so that they can see where they finished that day in respect to similar shooters. They may not win a gonk but can sleep with a smug grin knowing that they had beaten the similar shooters on that day.

15. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Cos we don't live in Sussex:p:p:D:D

16. simmmo

simmmo Member

Suprisingly I thought a chap of your stature would be able to see it from atop a small mound.

Monkey

17. Lloyd_D

Lloyd_D New Member

So what does the .22 man himself Johnny Smith think ?

Fair or not fair ?

Chalk and cheese maybe :cool:

18. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I'd wait until we announce what's happening next year before worrying if it's Fair or Unfair :D

19. JOHNNY SMITH

JOHNNY SMITH New Member

Club:
    WORCESTER AIR RIFLES
    I think life is a tin of pellets :D :cool: