UKAHFT Stopwatches

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by Scooby, Jun 25, 2011.

?

Would you like to see the compulsory use of stopwatches at UKAHFT shoots

1. YES

40.3%
  2. NO

59.7%
  1. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Following on the thread talking about stoppages, we've had a few UKAHFT shooters moaning about the length of time it takes to shoot a course.

Before anyone gets excited we will not be changing the way the target calling or checking is done but it was clear at Emley last week that some shooters are still taking way too long to shoot, this was seen by some having 6 or 7 targets left to shoot when others had finished.

Therefore we are toying with the idea of introducing stopwatches to every lane & it will be compulsory to time each other.

The question is only for shooters who will be taking part in the remaining UKAHFT series shoots..............Do you want to see the introduction of stopwatches at our shoots.

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The great thing with public polls is that you can see who votes so please don't vote if you aren't shooting any of the remaining series as I'll only discount your vote anyway

3. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Pete,

We have a fantastic team of marshals, I think it would be a good idea to issue each marshal with a stopwatch when they draw their radio.

If any group loose more then 1 peg on the group in front, then they will go on the clock.

I personally think the UK's work well and there are very few long stoppages. To my recollection, there was only one long stoppage at Emley and that was because there was only 1 ladder on the course. I had to retrieve it from the fort and go running up the hill with it.

The Uk's work very well, we manage to get 200 shooters, including children through the course and on their way home, usually by 5pm.

It's not broke and we don't need to fix it, however, if we can make it better then that is great

Gary

4. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

I think rather than the PITA of timing at every lane this would be a very good compromise.:cool:

5. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The problem Chris is that the Marshals already time shooters who are taking too long but there is only so much the marshals can do & from some comments its still not working to reduce the amount of time taken to shoot the course.

6. JAGXKRS

I am of course aware that we have the option of timing shooters but to be honest Pete I can't remember the last time it was done, perhaps a concerted effort by the marshal's over the next few rounds will sort the problem.

7. DaveTV

DaveTV Member

Club:
    Who knows....
    It shouldn't be necessary, but a little bit of a crack down on the obvious ones might hurry them up a little. It shouldn't need to be a permanent measure like it is on the FT circuit as HFT is supposed to have a more relaxed atmosphere.
    As Gary said would be the best solution, but it needs to be done sensibly, ie if there's a big change in wind speed, like moving from dense woods out into the open there will always be a little backlog at these points for example.

8. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Pete,

Could it perhaps be a misunderstanding on behalf of some competitors, ie Shooters are allowed 2mins per lane, this timing starts when you approach the peg.

I have seen people, walk to the peg, put the mat down, pick up the string, look at the wind, give the target a good staring then go back and speak to their shooting partners, have a yap then get ready to shoot, thinking the time didn't start til they had their rifle in their hands.

People seem genuinely surprised when you point out that they started on that peg one and a half minutes ago.

Perhaps a simple addage from golf could help "you are not to stay ahead of the group following you but close behind the group ahead".

On a personal note I think 2 minutes is a hell of a long time to take one shot.

9. raygun

raygun Non member

I voted no because it would be good to see the above take place.

Perhaps the time should also be reduced. 2 minutes is a long time for one shot.

ATB
    Ray.

10. stillwater

stillwater Active Member

Club:
    KSG, Misfits
    Voted yes but think everyone would need to be made aware of when the clock was starting.
    E.G when shooter one gets up from his shot does the timer then start for shooter two, or is it when they have their rifle in their hand???

11. JAGXKRS

That's why I voted no Greg, if this is bought in I can see it causing more problems and whinging than it actually resolves. Far better to ask the marshal's to deal with it more robustly than has previously been the case.:cool:

12. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    stopwatches

seems simple do as they do (or should do ) in ft as soon as the shooter puts hi eye to the scope the clock starts ,
    and as its 1 shot per lane give them 1 min to take the shot

just my thoughts

13. little steph

little steph Captain Pussycat

Club:
    Lains Shooting School
    I voted yes... Both days anston and emley our group were pretty much first off. Our group sunday pulled 7 lanes in front by time we finished course.

It wouldnt be too hard to put in place...the uk matchplay is an example and a tried method..and I think that runs smoothly personally.

I don't think it would be a bad idea. But everyone will have an opinion.

Steph

14. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I voted no. I'd like to think that I could trust others shooters to be sensible about the time they take over a shot. If someone is obviously taking far too long then as now the marshals should speak to that individual.

Dave

15. tokoloshe

tokoloshe Twang ****!

Club:
    Springfield & Seac
    My pennies worth - from experience slow courses are more of a result of the shooters having a good crack between the lanes or between each shooter going to the peg. Would a time limit on the whole session be worth exploring? Clock stops for stoppages, maybe a slightly longer time for 2nd session to accommodate the less mobile? When time is up that's it! Might encourage us to move along a bit faster!

16. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    I voted yes, because, like Steph says, it works at the Matchplay
    ,even the first round when the watches were lost in the microwave:D, the emphasis at each peg was speed.
    For me personally, I prefer to get on with it and get to the next peg, stay in the concentration zone and all that.

Wayne

17. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

I voted NO, but suggest the following.

The rest of this season let's use the marshalls, and make it very visable, and see if things improve.

If it doesn't improve, then make it compulsory by lane next season.

18. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Hi Steve,

Marshals timing the slow shooters was mentioned in the briefing last weekend but we still had problems at Emley, I'm also not sure how fair picking on individuals would be either, you could well have a marshal not wanting to time a club mate & so on

If we do bring stopwatches in it will be for a limited trial to see if it worked, if it does speed things up then great if it doesn't then we've wasted less than £100 on stopwatches.

19. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

i think its like a few other people have already said its not the fact that shooters are laying on a peg starring at a target for 2 minutes its the chatting and banter that holds the whole thing up also long walks between pegs is another issue , we all like a chat and have a laugh thats one of the main reasons i left FT and came to HFT because we have such a laugh at events so i would hate to see that part of the sport strangled by racing around a course but i do think we could cut the ammount of time wasted by adding stop watches if everybody had 2 minutes starting from the time when the peg is clear from the other shooter that is well enough time to lay a mat down check wind and shoot a target .obviously a bit of give and take has to be allowed for example if your group has just walked uphill for 100 yards and your on a unsupported stander you need a bit of a breather but then everyone would do the same . as its been said it works very well at match play i cant remember it taking me more than 30 seconds to lay my mat down and shoot a target this year, and nobody i remember got timed off a peg and we would be adding a minute to this allowing 2 mins so thats plenty of time , the only thing that would have to be made clear to clubs are that the targets are easy to spot where they are placed otherwise shooters would be wasting time trying to find a target .
    just my opinion on the timing :p

maybe try it on a round then poll who preferd the stopwatches and also see if it actually makes things run smoother or ask clubs that hold rounds for UKAHFT to try this in there club comps to see how it runs and how people get on with it .

griggzy:D

20. JAGXKRS

Was anyone actually put on the clock though Pete, I've heard mention that one group fell back 7 lanes which is totally unacceptable and they should have been clocked and spoken too. I can hazard a guess at who was in that group as there are certain shooters who are taking the piss with the amount of time they take on the peg. I had the pleasure of shooting with Wobbly at the Worlds and he will be the first to admit he's not the fastest bloke over the ground but even then we only fell back 3/4 lanes and that was down to me trying to get my breath back after running up and down the course sorting bloody targets.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011