UKAHFT Numbers

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by Sparky, May 24, 2010.

?

Numbers

1. 220

44.8%
  2. 210

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 180

22.4%
  4. Not bothered

32.8%
  1. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    With a few people having a few moans about the length of time the nationals take, what are your feelings in curbing the numbers to 180.

Please only vote if you shoot the nationals

Pete

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

Pete,

I reckon we should keep things as they are, it works most of the time, on occassion we get a
    bottleneck, but it's not the end of the world.

Neal

3. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    It's either really tricky targets or the fact the target is hard to find that drags the day on ( the new rule for target colours should help with the latter) oh & also cocks that stand there a make the marshall go & check the target twice after they missed it because they were sure they killed it & there wasn't a mark on the plate....er ok then thats a zero i'd have said :rolleyes::shot:

oh, it should stay as it is imo.

4. Weevie

Weevie Banned

Jeez...are we all that keen to be doing something other than standing on a wood relaxing with our shooting buddies? :rolleyes:

Sure it can be a bit of a bother standing around waiting for a cease fire to end or for the next peg to get free but anybody who didn't shoot at the BAGS UKAHFT round a few years back doesn't know what a slow round is! :eek::D

I suspect people who are complaining excessively are smokers who don't enjoy the heat. :D:p Well chaps, I'm as addicted to nicotine as the best of you but I had no problems in the wood. I just used my e-cigarette: no smoke, no combustion and so no danger of fire but all the lovely warm rush of nicotine I could want.:cool:

Leave the numbers as they are Pete. Bisley was great, a little slow sometimes but still great. Keep up the good work. :)

5. stillwater

stillwater Active Member

Club:
    KSG, Misfits
    Think the first session went well but the second session was soooo slowwwwwwww,
    although there did seem to be a lot more shooters in the second session.
    Just my, view keep it as it is but equal the numbers up between the two sessions

6. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    We had 84 shooters in session 1 and 104 in session 2, where normally on a max out would be 90 session 1 and 120 session. The idea of this is less shooters in session 1 be quicker so session 2 kicks off quicker.

Pete

7. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

ive only shot a few rounds of national shoots but unfortunatly ive had to shoot 2nd session on both uk's this year , and i must say yesterday was a very long time to shoot 30 targets i was only in a group of 3 but had 3-4 groups of 4 infront and right from the first peg we was bottle knecked i think its very hard to stay focused on what your there to do when it takes 10-15 mins between most pegs ....... the awnser ........ who knows but its a good enough excuse for my bad score lol :p:p:p :D:D:D

griggzy :shot::eek::mad::D:D:D

8. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  9. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Its not broke don't fix it;):D There did seem to be a lot of stoppages in 2nd session for one reason or another, here's a clue boys & girls if the target did not go down there is a strong possibility you plated the bugger:eek::eek:;):D

10. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

:D
    yep its true theres always alot of people who swear they hit targets that have been dropped over and over before them ........ maybe the way forward is if you call oine and theres nothing wrong with it then you get a nice doughnut on your card lol :eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D seems to work when ive shot a shepreth . persoalyy ive NEVER called a target in FT or HFT ;)

11. Levidog

Levidog Member

I think it was a one off Pete. Shooters were timed in session 2 and it just went to show how long 2 minutes actually is, I should think the average is 30 seconds.

I think the real problem can be groups chatting and discussing the target they've just shot before moving on grouping around the peg, talking each other into how hard it is then trying to remember who goes next. As a marshall it's very hard to time that.

That said, the main bottle neck was caused by one target after the chronograph. I witnessed 2 groups looking for the target before finally deciding it was still down.

It's easy guys the last one to shoot walks straight to the next peg 'cos he's going to shoot next.

I don't think we should reduce the numbers because if the sport is doing well in this current financial climate, let's keep encouraging people to join us.

12. pete53

pete53 New Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    With Bisley being sold out and people on the reserve list with a record number of teams this year surely we shouldn't be thinking about reducing the numbers.

13. silver fox

silver fox New Member

Pete i and a lot of others did'nt understand your reasoning for less shooters in the morning but now having read your post it's bloody obvious innit, the problem was'nt the amount of shooters it was trying to find the targets, a more visible colour would have been nice but then it might have made it a lot easier also, the biggest problem i saw was standing chatting about the target instead of getting on with it and moving on, also what we do on a home shoot is if the next peg is free when two of us have shot we move on to it to save any hold ups, can this not be done at the U.K.s after all it only takes one to score a card, anyway Bisley boys whether or not the targets where easy or hard to find you still put on a great course top marks to all of you and to Pete and everyone else for a great day cheers.here's to the next one ATB Alan.

14. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    180 would make the day fly by, but in reflection I would feel very sorry for the person who was number 181 and did not get to shoot.

Maybe try the new colours for the next three rounds and see how it goes from there?

Also the idea of getting a 0 if you incorrectly call a target, is a no go in my opinion, in my first year of the UKAHFT I called nine targets, 6 i called correctly and 3 i did not. The three where I was wrong i honestly thought there was a fault,so should I deserve a 0?

You should never be afraid of asking for a target to be checked (within reason) this is a national competition that could lead to you shooting in the England team at the worlds next year so every point is important.

15. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I'm with Chilli on the target calling, sometimes they need to be called, normally before they've been shot though. The problem is people cheating or trying to, I witnessed someone miss a target completely in the afternoon - He hit a tree, yet he swore blind the yellow moved!

Numbers are fine, but anything that can make it easier to find the targets is a good thing as it'll speed things up. Also I never understans why people don't keep the same order of shooting? I don't know of nayone who doesn't get confused and either forget who's turn it is or messes up the cards order.

Couple of questions though, does the 2 minutes start from the time the mat has been placed at the peg? Could we use stop watches all the time as per the matchplay?

Ultimately responsibilty for delays has to fall to those who were taking too long to take their shot, for whatever reason.

16. rogb

rogb Señor Member

I voted 220 because, as has been stated, it would a damn shame if you were 181 and didn't get to shoot.

I think Bisley was slow for a number of reasons, although in session 1, my group barely had to wait more than a minute or two, so we were lucky and were able to keep our rhythm:eek: going.

Shooters coming in from session 2 told me they had to wait 10-20 mins (or what felt like it) on some pegs. This is clearly unacceptable. I heard people saying if they had to shoot session 2 again, then they wouldn't shoot, but I'm sure they calmed down after a cool drink and an ice cream:D

I can only speak from my own experience. I normally take around 15 seconds to take my shot, maybe 30 if it is windy. At Bisley, me and my group must have taken a full 2 minutes on a number of pegs because of difficulty in finding the targets. I've got a decent scope but it was really hard at times and has been rightly said before, it is not an eyesight test, it is a shooting comp. When it is hot, sticky and you're under pressure, rangefinding in a heat haze can also be a nightmare, which slows things down.

I think it was just one of those things, but the UKAHFT format guidance on targets in dark areas was not followed at Bisley, which was the only down side in what was a good and enjoyable course. It wasn't the end of the world but I'm sure that the new rule for the rest of 2010 will help speed things up:) Well done UKAHFT. Lesson learned and acted upon swiftly.:)

17. rickysdaystate

rickysdaystate Make Every Shot Count

Club:
    Greyhound
    surely the more the better? then theres more competition?

18. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    To answer your question Ryan

The 2 minutes starts when you approach the peg, it does not matter if you have your rifle with you or not.

If it is your turn to shoot and you walk up to the peg and look at the target, then your 2 minutes has started.

However if you just walk forward and drop the Matt without looking at the target then the 2 minutes has not started.

hope this helps

19. rogb

rogb Señor Member

I always thought it was from when you looked through the scope:confused: Having just looked at the UKAHFT rules, I can find no reference to timing, perhaps that is why there is some confusion over this. Maybe it needs to be clarified and added to the rules. Then perhaps it might be followed:)

20. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I always thought it was when you looked through the scope as well...