UKAHFT and Airgunner for 2012

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by scutter, Sep 29, 2011.

1. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hello All,

I have been having a think about the coverage of the UKAHFT for next year. I still intend to cover all 9 rounds and the Gathering, however, if I can't make a round because of work, I may have to enlist the help of some of you, as my "on the spot" reporters for the day.

The thing is though, I want to freshen up the coverage. There is only so many ways you can say,

"We turned up, we shot 30 tin chickens, we were awarded a trophy, we went home"

For next year, I want to choose a shooter at each event and make the article about them. I will still cover the actual round, but this will consist of about 30% of the article, the shooter profile will be about 40% and the following 30% will cover the club, the scores and the sponsor. The other thing that I am going to do, is request that the shooter for the article, has to be a shooter who is using a product from the sponsor.

For example, The MAD round, is usually sponsored by Deben, so the shooter that I will pick will have to be a shooter who uses a Deben scope etc.

What do you guys think?

Gary

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Got something very simular planned with 2012 bfta Gp ft coverage in Airgun shooter Gary.

I reported at Mx events all over the uk and world for 15 years, finally this year i just became board of writting the same stuff season after season. so now staying clean and doing Ft, happy days.

3. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Hi Gary,

I think first you need to look at who the articles are aimed at ? Are you wanting to persuade non HFT shooters to come along & try UKAHFT, are you wanting to create mini reviews by shooters raving about the kit they use or are you wanting to get HFT shooters buying the magazine to read the articles ?

The problem is I don't think you can do it all :(

Personally I always prefered a brief description of the event/venue, a picture of the winners, a picture of the raffle prize winner that plugs the sponsors & the full results, I've never been keen on trying to tell a story of the day....but thats just me:D

4. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Does this mean the person would have to partner you Gary :rolleyes:

5. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D

No, I would not inflict that on them, I will let them shoot and after the comp there will be a small interview and a few pics.

Are you volunteering?

6. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Cheers Pete,

The article is there to promote the UKAHFT and hopefully over the last few years we have managed to do that. I want to try and give a bit back to the manufactures, but we will not have time to review kit, but we can mention that Shooter A has a S400 with a Viper scope and what he likes about it. I can then comment about the kit and give a potted opinion. I used to write the reviews for the guys who shoot the UKAHFT, but unfortunatly, it appears that very few shooters actualy buy the magazine. This is a shame, as no other mag gives up two pages of copy every month to promote a series.

I always have a pic of the raffle winner and their prize (Apart from last month, due to a cock up on my part) and I try to put a few pics in of shooters who don't get in the magazines very often. I don't do the pics of the winners as there is only so many times you can look at Sparky ;-).

I always put the top score in the open as well as juniors, ladies, .22.and recoiling, but what I want to do is change things around a bit. I have started to think that my HFT reviews have become a bit stale and repetitive and because of this I need a change. Archant have been great in letting me review HFT and I need to do the best job I can.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  7. Knockedover

Knockedover Active Member

There hasn't been much fear of that the last couple of seasons in all fairness......

:D:D:D

8. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Ouch:D

Pete

PS COCK

9. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    I know when Kev Hughes used to do the write up's people did like to see the scores on the day etc in a little column on the side just to keep them updated.
    I would say you will have to be careful if you do a profile on a shooters kit if that it is different from the sponsor of the shoot i.e don't do a S400 if Theoben sponsored the round.

Pete

10. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Cheers Pete,

I already put the top shooter in each category, but it should be OK to put the top 5 open names, plus the winners of all the other categories in a separate box.

As I said in the original post, my idea is to use a shooter for each round, A shooter who is shooting the equipment of the sponsor. So for instance, Quarry this year is sponsored by Air Arms. So I would be looking for a Quarry member who shoots an Air Arms to feature.

This will keep the manufacturers happy and it should help Roger in securing a good prize:D

Gary

11. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    I think I'm safe Gary. Ripley+IOR atm :D

12. A.C.

A.C. Non member

I think it's a good idea Gary, having another possibly less accomplished competitor talk about the event from their perspective rather than you overview may be nice for a change. Largely you have hit the nail on the head. there are only so many ways you can repeat the same message, maybe somebody from the hosting club talking about any course setting challenges, how they felt the day went, would they do anything differently given the chance in the future and so on. Who knows what could happen ultimately but until you try it we'll never know, be it good, bad or indifferent.

13. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed The Lancashire Hotpot

Club:
    M.A.D
    How about doing a short write up on the competition year of an up and coming young shooter that the shooting fraternity can follow throughout the year.

Take 1 novice.. (young or old, male or female !)
    Give them some sponsors kit to use,
    Give them some coaching,
    Follow their progress through the year in the Mag.

Hey presto, 9 months of interest for young and old shooters alike and someone people can relate to, and all sponsors get to advertise their kit with them with a little write up on that piece of kit for that round and how the new shooter rates it.

14. fatty

fatty Member

Club:
    Misfits
    I think anything that gives us new comers and unknowns a chance of 5 mins of fame is a great idea. Not that im at all bias being my PB is a 46 and having no chance of seeing my name in lights any time soon. :(

15. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I think thats an inspired idea Gary, i imagine it will go down very well with the sponsors and maintain their enthusiasm for supporting the series aswell as you say bring a new angle to the coverage of the event.