TX200SR for Field Target

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by pirellip, Feb 10, 2011.

1. pirellip

pirellip Member

Hello,

Quick question: Are sub 12fpe TX200SR rifles allowed to shoot in the Piston division? I shoot one in Canada, and typically go to the US Nationals with it, where I see a lot of them.

BUT I was reading on an American forum that in the UK, the divisions are 'Recoilless' and 'Recoiling' ... so Whiscombes, Diana 54s, and TX200SR rifles can't shoot in the 'Recoiling' division... is this correct?

2. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I may be wrong mate but I think with the SR over here in the UK you'd have to enter the open class which is largely pcps.
    The ordinary TX however would be recoil class.

Dave

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    In FT in the UK, Whiscombes, Diana 54s, and TX200SR's shoot in the same class as 'normal' springers, the Piston division.

In HFT they shoot in the 'open pcp' class I believe.

4. aitchuk

aitchuk Member

Club:
    redfearns
    In NEFTA it is a recoiling class so semis must shoot in the open class
    I believe other regions stick with the spring class as per the BFTA

Aitch

5. pirellip

pirellip Member

Thanks Gents

I do plan on attending a Worlds in the coming years, so it's important that the Piston rifle I practice is allowed!

I find it interesting that you don't see more of the TX200SR on the FT circuit. They can be a real pain to setup properly, and can also be temperamental, but when they're working, they sure work well. I suppose I've just answered my own question though: they aren't used by the top shooters because they aren't 'rock solid consistent'

I'm on the fence with what Piston rifle to use, I have a tuned versions of TX200 and HW97k also... I love shooting my SR though, but it may be smarter getting used to the HW97k (V-Glided) or the tuned TX200..

6. RobF

Club:
    You may need to check with the worlds though, that could run under different rules...

7. pirellip

pirellip Member

As far as I know, under the WFTF general rules, they are allowed, at the 2010 match, there was 1 Whiscombe and 1 TX200SR, along with a Diana 75 and perhaps others.

However host countries may have different rules, but I'm not sure if they would override the WFTF rules in this case, as the WFTF core rules state Precharged Class and and Spring Class.

I don't think this is a major issue in any regards, I would think the hosting country would allow any spring powered rifle to enter, it's not like these rifles offer a major real world advantage over the TX200/HW97s - or more people would be using them!

8. Dale

Dale Active Member

While the issue of setting them upproperly may play a part in their popularity, at a guess I would also suggest that their comparative rarity is probably more of the issue.

Compared to normal TX's there just aren't many SR's around - can't recall the exact figure, but IIRC somewhere around 300 in existence. As a consequence they have a certain desirability to collectors and just don't pop up that often.

9. RobF

Club:
    Where there is a WFTF rule, it overides the host rule :)

The WFTF rules are here : http://efta.org.uk/wftfconst.html :)