Tx200

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Sake-San, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Sake-San

Sake-San La Vieille Alliance

Club:
    l'Association Francaise de Field Target
    I am in the process of setting up a pair of TX's (MK III) for HFT & FT disciplines. I have tried longer piston rods and also nose extensions & HW seals to achieve a shorter stroke with the goal of reducing hold sensitivity. As stand alone tweeks they were not rewarding.
    With V-Mach internals they are close to the competition power limit (legally here in France we have rather more leeway than the UK for airgun power so no worries there) but, very smooth and with a very small fps deviation (<4 fps over a 20 shots chrono string).
    I understand the logic, maths and physics of short stroking but, before I purchase two sets of new pistons and comp tubes for the requisite proper short stroke fettling does anybody have guidance to the contrary?

2. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    When you say requisite proper fettling, what do you intend to do/

3. Sake-San

Club:
    The intention is to have an experienced tuner lengthen and lighten the pistons, modifying to accept HW seals and I believe at the same time fitting larger delrin piston guides. Also modifying the TP size to optimise for the new, reduced volume.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  4. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    not the way I would go about it, I don't like piston extensions, I make a new piston and rod to set the stroke and piston weight,

5. Sake-San

Club:
    Thanks Nick, time for another rethink!, PM sent

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  6. Skypilot

Skypilot New Member

I've set up a US FAC Tx 200 with a custom 200 gram steel piston that is destroked by 14 mm bringing it pretty close to the MK I. I find the shot cycle superb.

I can email a dimensioned drawing if you like. Just PM me.

The piston was modded for a weihrauch type seal.

Skypilot

7. Sake-San

Club:
    Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I have taken the plunge and ordered from Nick Gibney his radical short stroke kits.
    Hoping to receive them any day now and shall report back / share my appraisal once I have some time on them.

8. Sake-San

Club:
    Thank you Nick Gibney

Well, having found the time to install in to my HFT TX the first of two short stroke kits purchased from Nick G I am astounded at the transformation. My previous short stroke experiments have not been satisfactory but, Nicks components have really transormed this gun, the hold sensitivity is much reduced and great to be able to see the pellets flight path.
    Shall not bore you with the statistics but, I am really looking forward to installing the second set into my FT rig.
    Highly recommended and thanks again to Nick