TX200 MK3 Scope mount for 50mm AO?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Rolly, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Rolly

Rolly Non member

I'm struggling to get the pelet loaded because of the 50mm lens overhang above the loading bay.

I bought the rifle already set up on a one piece mount with a Richter Optik 6-24 x 50AOE. Not the best of scopes I now realize - its very eye relief sensitive at the high mags.

Anyway, I figure its a low mount as the 50mm objective is nearly touching the barrel. Do I need a medium or a high mount so I can get my thumb/finger into the loading bay?

I ask the question because there doesn't seem to be any definition of what is a medium or high mount!
    Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
    Regards,
    Rolly

2. Vestas

Vestas New Member

I'd suggest you have the scope mounted too far forward.

I have a Hawke 50mm AO scope (which has pretty much the same dimensions as your scope) on my TX200HC and the end of the scope is inline with the first bear trap notch. That leaves plenty of room to load pellets even with gloves.

The bottom of the AO end is 6mm above the mounting rails. Mounts are Hawke Sports (ie cheap, like the scope) so nothing special.

Hope that helps.

3. Rolly

Rolly Non member

Hi Vestas....thanks for the reply.

I'm going to have a play around with the scope and mounts tomorrow, Wednesday the 2nd and see if I can pull the scope back similar to what you describe, hopefully without losing eye relief.
    My scope mount is a one piece but I've ordered a set of Sportmatch high mounts which may give me more flexibility.
    Rolly.

4. Vestas

Vestas New Member

I'm no expert by any means but if you mount a 50mm scope on high mounts then you may well start running into issues when you zero it (assuming you do that at 25yds/metres) as your elevation adjustment might be close to hitting the end-stop (generally not a "good thing"). Dependent on pellet weight - I guess you may have problems with lightweight pellets.

Also you're going to have a lot of holdover at ranges below your zero.

You can get around those issues by padding the rear scope mount prior to zeroing but I don't think you should need high mounts in the first place.

I'm sure someone will be along to say I'm wrong but I've never heard of anyone having problems fitting a 50mm scope to a TX200 - IMHO 50mm is perfect for hunting and that's probably what most TX200's are used for. I'd guess the FT/HFT springer guys mainly use the TX200/HW97 but they'll be in the minority of users.

I reckon whoever set the gun/scope up in the first place simply got it wrong :)

5. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Rolly

Put a picture up of your set up so we an see what you are challenged with.

Dependant on what you are going to be using it for - but if HFT or hunting then AO close to the barrel is the preferred route I believe. If its FT then hight of mounts not an issue but as already posted be careful of running out of clicks of elevation.

Stupid question it doesn't have a sun shade on the end causing an issue. just thought I would ask!

6. Vestas

Vestas New Member

They apparently come with flip-up covers so no sunscreen.

http://www.solware.co.uk/richter-optik-1933 has a piccie of the scope.

Edit - and at £75 or so for a 6-24x50AOE then I'd suggest not going anywhere near the end-stop on elevation. They also appear to have a rep for losing the zero due to recoil but who knows.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  7. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Assuming your scope is currently at the optimum eye relief position for you then moving it back to make loading easier is only going to compromise your shooting in some way. Incorrect eye relief or forcing yourself into an unnatural position aren't ideal.

If that is the case then higher mounts, riser blocks, or a smaller objective scope are your options. Note that a sidewheel or fixed mag scope of the same 50mm objective will be a few mm narrower than an AO. If you're looking at a new scope, worth asking if you need 50mm? Good glass gives a better image than a big lens, and a larger lens gives you a smaller depth of field. Smaller DoF is good for FT rangefinding, not as good for other uses.

Higher mounts will give you aim points closer together at longer range than your zero, at the expense of further apart aim points at closer ranges. Another thing to consider is one downside of higher mounts might be that your cheek is no longer contacting the cheekpiece as closely. This can be important with a fixed stock like the TX.

8. Rolly

Rolly Non member

TX200 Scope and mount.

I tried various permutations yesterday of scope position and eye relief.

As Adam correctly alluded to; when I pulled the scope back to clear the beartrap I run out of eye relief and the butt wasn't shouldered.

In the end, I took off the scope AO cover - (it was a thick rubber thing of 65mm diameter) and moved the scope forward to give me correct eye relief/shoulder whilst still having enough room to get a pellet in. It can be a bit fiddly with cold fingers.

I've tried uploading .jpegs but the file size is greater than 400kb so no go.

At the moment, I'm doing bench rest target shooting out to 40m and hope to get into FT/HFT.

The TX200 is a far cry from the Webley's and Diana's I grew up with and am still amazed at it's accuracy.

Adam is right.... I got the Richter "to get me going" but there are better scopes to be had for not a lot more money. Harrogate show is coming up and I'll be a bit more careful with my scope choice.
    Thanks each for the information. I'm learning quickly!

Regards,
    Rolly

9. Rolly

Rolly Non member

tx200/scope jpegs

Have reduced my pixel size so here goes with the photo of scope setup attached.

I hope it works OK. :)
    Rolly

Attached Files:

10. Vestas

Vestas New Member

I can see how an extra 15mm diameter for the cover would cause issues.

Glad you got it sorted - and yes its a whole different world these days. I had much the same reaction when I shot the TX200HC. I was even more surprised when I discovered the barrel is only 9" long and the rest is shrouding/moderator.

Seriously expensive gun for a springer but well worth the pennies :)

11. Rolly

Rolly Non member

tx200-scope mounts

Thanks Vestas....
    Yes, form and function go together perfectly in the TX200. It's heritage shows.
    Regards,
    Rolly