Two Eyed DeWarf Gilly

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by AIRFIX GILLY, May 13, 2013.

1. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    Just a post on target placement and not a complaint to the Far Coley crew.:eek:

Over the weekend shoot at Far Coley should I have been 45mm taller including my new 38mm boots (Tool) I would be less my right eye. A pellet deflection came back and hit my forehead directly over my eye.:mad:

Reason I`m posting this fact is that I know a few of the coarse setters for the up and coming GP`s browse this site. What I would ask them is to be very aware of the target placement of the close mini kill targets the BFTA rules state you have to set out on a GP coarse. Please consider pellet deflections and place security barriers around the targets, place them under bushes or put them at the end of the coarse square on to the firing line, dont have them at an angle to the firing line.
    Just be aware of safety and risk of injury associated with placing targets so close to shooters.;)

Personally I`ll be proposing to MFTA and subsequently the BFTA that these targets are removed from ALL field target events as they are serious risk for injury.

Andrew Gillott, 20533.

2. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    I've got to agree on that Gilly....had one at M.A.D. fly past my left ear last year.

3. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Just be aware of safety and risk of injury associated with placing targets so close to shooters.;)

Personally I`ll be proposing to MFTA and subsequently the BFTA that these targets are removed from ALL field target events as they are serious risk for injury.

Andrew Gillott, 20533.[/QUOTE]

To be fair gilly,the problem with the target that you are referring to was not it,s kill size.
    There was nothing stopping the coarse setter,s from putting a 40mm kill at 20 yards.
    The issue was that being 20yds forward of the main firing line,you were parallel with the target.
    If that target had been the other side of the tree,there would not have been a problem.
    That,s a mistake that I doubt will be replicated,at far coley.

4. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Never had one in competition but had one hit below my left eye at Redfearns couple of years ago in practice as me and Neil waited on a lane.

I think sub 15 yard targets should be removed from courses.

Not a dig at course setters just simple safe practice.

Norman Wisdom 1927

5. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Agree entirely

At harriers we no longer put a 10 yd target on the plink,because of this problem.
    I don,t see the close target,s a test of skill,more a test of set up and memory to turn the turret back.
    When it come,s to safety we should take no chances,I suggested to the Marshall that after gillie pointed out the problem it should be dealt with before another shot was fired.and it was.
    I,ve had issue,s with rifle,s being pointed at other shooter,s and noted some top shooter,s doing it on Sunday.
    When it come,s to insurance I believe that most club,s use the same source,if someone get,s shot and claim,s,no more insurance ,meaning no more field target.
    Safety is not just the responsibility of the safety officer,it,s to every individual that shoot,s a rifle.

6. TOOL

Club:
    EFTA England
    Or introduce a height restriction gauge / target safety ruler.

Randy Crawford 1972

Attached Files:

7. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Nowt wrong with the 15 mil kills it's just a matter of target placement! I really don't understand why some people have such a downer on them? As to not being a test of skill I think if placed in the right place and with even a slight breeze they can be very challenging AND a test of set up too. Leave em alone or we will end up with every target being full size and at max distance. Just my opinion you understand.

8. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    read your post andrew, so just for you, i'll make sure those targets at tawd will be totally surrounded by bubble wrap :D

9. tonto.boy

tonto.boy Member

Club:
    Nelson Air Rifle Club.
    Well said Andrew.

10. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

Target placement

If targets are put where and how they should be then there isn't a issue sometimes mistakes happen as we are all human, now im sure the guys from farcoley wont let it happen again top guys top course, so there is no need to ban close targets or lobby to do so.:D

11. PaulD

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Personally I think standing shots are dangerous, shooters wobbling about with a loaded rifle! I'm going to ask the BFTA to remove them from all FT competitions before someone gets hurt :rolleyes:

12. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Paul standers dont need banning you just need some practice, if you do maybe 100 practice shot a day you may even get up to the standard of flippin shat:D

13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    As said, it's not the size, it's the placement.

A lot of splash off the shot goes sideways from the target. I've seen it before at another ground, this time it was a short 40mm stander. The same issue was the problem, the line went forward to a seemingly safe degree, but because target was angled along the line, the splash came back across the line.

Perhaps where this is a possibility barn doors can be placed either side to catch any splash, which seemed to solve the issue at Far Coley.

Safety is no accident.

14. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Gilly being shot was no accident.

Fishface hired a Hitman, but he was as crap a shot as fishface and missed!

I thaught the course was well balanced witht he reducers on sunday and as has been said if the pellet bounced from a split edge off the 25ml it could have just have easily been a 40ml edge.
    Hindsight dictates that those first couple of lanes that lead up from the pond in future should just be angled away from the pond, as indeed the second lane up was.

15. AIRFIX GILLY

Club:
    Castle
    maybe you next time

May be if I`d had my eye took out on sunday you may not be so flippant about this post. It all may have been different replies.

The mini kill targets are a safety issue because they can be set 8 yards infront of you (too Close).

If you and everyone else votes the close mini kills in then they`ll stay. I`ll vote to remove them. Their dangerous if positioned without thought. This post was to try and stop that happening in the remainder of this years GP`s.

One eyed jack, from Pontefract. 007

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  16. TOOL

Club:
    EFTA England
    Well said !

Hinge and Bracket 1981

17. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    You cant vote on it until November Agm.

It was not a "close" mini kill gilly, I am sure i have it at 30 yards. it was just angled in the wrong direction, something I am sure the course builder will take note of.

18. PaulD

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Andrew, as others have said it's nowt to do with the kill size only the target placement. No one wants to see anyone get hurt but being so heavy handed is not the answer. If we are not careful we will end up with all targets set between 45 & 55yards, ok for the elite few maybe but not so good for the rest of us.

19. AIRFIX GILLY

Club:
    Castle
    kill size

The kill size is important because in the BFTA rules they allow 15mm kills to be placed at 8 to 25 yards.
    Targets placed between 8 and up to 15 yards are too close for safety reasons. Subsequently so is any other target that is positioned too close regardless of kill size.

20. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Real issue

Something tell's me the real problem with 15mm kill's @ 8 yrds is about 160 clicks on a 45 Leup comp:)
    As njr said that target was at over 20yds,just the wrong side of the tree.;|
    Buzz lightyear infinity and beyond.