Tuning Vs stock fit

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Cooper_dan, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Musicville

Musicville New Member

Club:
    Yeaveley
    Great read, thanks all.

2. tony1

tony1 Member

Club:
    hereward ft
    ive got a mk2 tx200 in a standard stock the only tunning if you can call it tunning is one of the gamo blue seals. it shoots well but the stock dont fit me right ive got a palm shelf and a anshultz butt hook on it to try and get it there but its not right. so what stocks can you lot recomend.

cheers

3. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    Warren Edwards

4. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

I've started converting a standard tx stock into something more for HFT. Done the forend and pistol grip. Starting on the butt pad and cheek piece next week which will be adjustable in every direction I can manage.
    I'll be putting all details and pictures on the blog in due course.
    Will never be as nicely finished as a proper custom stock but current cost is £7 so pros and cons

IMG_20181019_072755606.jpg

5. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    Wellington Airgunners. (WAG)
    What are peoples thoughts on bedding the action into the stock?
    I made my own stock for a 97K awhile ago, and I bedded it in with fibreglass filler. It was surprising how imperfect my inletting was, but the result was good. It felt like the action and stock were one. I have made other stocks since, and some just didn't feel good, so appreciate that the fit to the shooter is vital.

6. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    Love my CS 1000 plank.

Remove and refit the action regularly, very rare I touch my turrets!

7. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

The closest I've come to a fitted stock is using a standard right handed stock, but shooting it left handed. Funny thing is, it works just as well as a true lefty stock, but it's not as comfortable.:D

8. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Bit late into this thread but interesting how little we did in the 80's at Markyate to acheive PC bashing accuracy;and clover leafing at 50/55 yards. Basic cleaning sharp edges and polishing here and there, a touch of Dri Slide LT2 and SM50. Compare this to the castration shooters do to today's springers which makes them as near to a pcp as you can go. Why not buy a pcp instead and save yourself the effort.
    Most springers are very accurate out of the box,(at least my 97 and others I've tried are) if you have the skill to control them, I suppose if you don't, go the modern modding way.It then beggers the question why shoot springers in the first place?
    HERX77 .

9. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a stock for my TX. First time using walnut. It has its first oil coat here, but more to come.

Gary Martin, mrgeoff and C.Eaton like this.
  10. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Looks excellent, how's the weight?

11. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    I havent weighed it yet, but it's substantial. I am used to a heavier stock, so I am happy. The main thing for me is the fit, I tried to take some meat outta it by the routed out side panels, which also gives me plenty of gripping points as opposed to an adjustable hamster. Just my preference.
    But making the stock fit me has definite benefits imo. Plus working with nice wood is fun.

C.Eaton likes this.
  12. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Well it's been a while since I weighed in on this (October apparently!) but I have some updates/progress from my end.
    After messing about with modifying my standard stock, I kind of worked out what I needed and went to see Tommy (Tilly's) to convert my ideas into a proper target stock. To be fair to Tommy, I handed him a travesty of woodwork and general mess, but he ran with it and I think got quite into the idea of creating a springer specific stock. We worked on a few ideas (mostly Tommy's) and ended up with a new stock that I am now using.

One of the statements I see a lot which seems to be a benchmark of springer tuning is 'minimal sight picture movement'. We were working on the theory that if the stock was properly fitted to the action and the shooter, this could be achieved without any tuning at all. And I think we were right. The way the stock fits me (and is balanced for my action) the recoil is now straight back and forward, meaning on each shot the sight picture doesn't move much. On the longer targets I'm now starting to watch the pellets in flight. For reference the internals are standard mk2 TX20o so reliability is a given.

I'll be using this setup up now for the the UKAHFT series and the DMHS. Will see how it goes but so far I'm very optimistic about it.

Adam, nyamazan, pez and 1 other person like this.