Tuning Vs stock fit

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Cooper_dan, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of people buying springers, sending them off for mega tunes, then using a standard stock. Not getting the results they want and then selling them on again. (Not necessarily talking about ft or hft here).

I think stock fit is much more important. All the tuning in the world can't compensate for missing by an inch because of parallax for example.

So, stock fit > tuning

But time and time again on forums/Facebook etc I see the same thing. Person buys a springer, struggles with it. Gets recommended multiple tunes but rarely stock options.
    Thoughts? Should we be saying send it to XYZ and get adjustable cheek/butt instead?

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Yep...

steve1000, MickyFinn and skires like this.
  3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Definitely.

Most people who shoot springers, and especially most people who are into springers and springer tuning and inhabit forums etc tend not to shoot comps. Some do yes but the majority either plink a lot or hunt and plink. So the plinkers are usually shooting off a bench and are just interested in their results off a bench and also how it feels. Optimising the shot cycle of a springer (by DIY or by buying stuff) is a hobby in itself. Nothing wrong with that at all, but worth bearing in mind and taking some of the hyperbole with a pinch of salt if you shoot outdoor target with your springer.

Assuming the shot cycle isn't horrible, the largest gains are in hold consistency for different positions. A bit of extra mass to soak up the recoil doesn't hurt either.
    Exhibit A is the current world FT springer champ, John Farbrother. Standard TX action except for blue Gamo seal, BUT a custom stock that he (and whoever made it, I forget the name) has put a lot of time into optimising the dimensions and fit.

Cooper_dan and skires like this.
  4. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    I know someone who has an LGU which was a tack-driver in stock form, tuned the hell out of it with custom stock, trigger job, cut-down piston etc., and now can't hit jack with it. Yes Stan you know who you are..;)

5. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I've been saying this on here and the BBS for years.

So many threads with people asking who is the best tuner etc.

Most of the decent underlevers with basic tune and a decent barrel and the right batch of decent pellets will give accuracy as good as most shooters can achieve. You can then tune them to death and you will only get a very small improvement in accuracy.

Far better for most shooters to make sure they cock and shoot quite smooth ( basic tune ) with a certain pellet and then spend your money on getting the stock to fit you and your position.

Then learn to shoot them in different positions and achieve as good a consistency as possible.

Then try and learn wind. :D

Cooper_dan, C.Eaton and Lavant_Lad like this.
  6. custompaint

custompaint Optics Warehouse

Club:
    Buckley Wood

it was Mark Lawrence, internally as you say it has the blue gamo seal, i was lucky and my spring guide was a very tight push into the spring, only other internal changes are a delrin top hat and a hw 97 breech seal.

Cooper_dan, MickyFinn and Adam like this.
  7. custompaint

custompaint Optics Warehouse

Club:
    Buckley Wood
    but yes the stock fit and not only the fit but where you are making contact and keeping consistent pressure in them areas ( as little as possible i might add) is for me the most important part of shooting a springer and shooting it consistently, i went though lots of different tunes and none made any difference, in fact some made the rifle less accurate in use.

steve1000 and Lavant_Lad like this.
  8. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    And here he is!

[​IMG]

:D

custompaint and Alanok2002 like this.
  9. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

couldnt agree more.

equally as important ,the fit of shooter to the gun is the fit of the action to the stock.

how an action is inlet and the design of the stock to help reduce hold sensitivity is critical.

as are having a cheek profile that actually suits the shooters cheek,
    someone skinny and good looking(like me..) with a chiseled jaw will want a very different profile to a big lad/lass.

then you need to think about the actual grip. most factory stocks are far too raked to get a nice straight trigger pull.

but yeah,it doesn't matter how accurate the gun is. if it doesn't fit you won't hit bugger all.

10. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    As you say Tilly, action to stock fit is very important.

I recently bought a 'tuned' HW97 in a custom stock. After an initial period while I got used to shooting a springer properly for the first time, I became aware of slight and constant zero shift. A quick chat with John F and I cranked the stock bolts up a fair bit tighter.... no more zero shift.

As for 'tunes'. I have just borrowed two TX200's from Air Arms for review. In bog rock standard form they have a really nice smooth firing cycle with very mild recoil. There is an old saying about thing not being broke....

11. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    A friend of mine now sadly passed away bought a new HW97, It was good out of the box but he decided to get it tuned by one of
    the famous name tuner guru,s . It totally changed the rifle, so much so he didn't like it and sold it shortly afterwards.

12. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    with my little knowledge on the subject I always assumed having a good fit, comfortable stock was pretty much the majority of the "tune" .. internals and metal bits are more alike the cream frosty toppings on the cake :)

13. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Would-be HFT shooter.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    What an interesting and thought provoking thread....

Im learning a lot, thanks all :)

MickyFinn likes this.
  14. two200's

two200's New Member

A lot of the time a poorly manufactured aftermarket stock can bugger a good Springers performance totally.
    Poor inletting etc. Can be very counter productive.
    A stock should always fit the gun correctly first, then you second.
    Dig up the threads on Zero Shifts in Springers - it's a concern.

skires likes this.
  15. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    But don't tell Phil though o_Oo_O:rolleyes:

16. tillygti6

the only thing I regularly see with the tx, is where the rear (rounded) end of the action contacts the stock, when it does it can become rather inconsistent. quick bit of sanding and job done.

same can't be said of lots of lgu/lgv.
    I've had loads of 'shifters' here.

the front angled fixings are a poop idea, they rely too much on the stock not expanding and contracting. but naturally they do.

plus I've had a few now with a slight ripple in the inlet with a high spot... definitely not good.

17. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

I've had some good results from my standard stock with some modifications, but definitely going to treat myself to a new stock soon. I think I've worked out what I want now. Although that will probably go out the window by the time o get round to it....

18. tillygti6

Dan, best thing ,is to have just a rough idea what works for you. then your build (body size lol) will determine how it ends up. them you can think about making it look pretty .

and you'll definitely want to have a shoot with it, before it's finished to make the all important final tweeks.

19. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

Stock to gun makes a big difference. I have a lefty TX factory stock that I tried on 4 or 5 different guns that were very good with their factory right hand stocks. All went to crap except the last one I've tried and it is great. Have an after market walnut stock with screw cups, but the screw cups were at an angle to the front screws and it wouldn't bolt up. I turned the front bracket a bit and epoxied it in place. It now lines up enough to work and it is excellent. Tuning the internals is fine and it makes for a very nice feeling gun, but I think too many try to tune an inaccurate gun into an accurate gun. Find one that's accurate out of the box and take out the twang with a guide and proper lube. I would also say that you should change the TX seal to one a little more pliable like the old Macarri, blue, Apex seal.

20. pbrown

pbrown Bunghole

Had a bad year since getting an s400, my scores have been dreadful, worse than the springer I shot last year.

Few weeks ago a stock maker lent me a custom stock, its been a transformation and after a few sessions with it got back into the 50s. Definately need do do more shooting with it as each time I find something I would like tweaking on it. Then I'll be getting one made which is near enough, shoot with it and get some final adjustments for fit.

Surprised what a difference a custom stock makes.