Trophies, money or nothing for FT competion winners?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by NJR 100, Feb 9, 2010.

1. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Over the last year or so the Wafta regional clubs on the whole (not sure its all 6 clubs) seem to have stopped giving out trophies and gone to cash prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in classes A,B,& C for the Summer / winter Ft series.

I was just wondering what other FT clubs / regions do at local / regional level?

Personally, i found when re-starting FT shooting in 2006 i liked picking up C, then B and finally A class trophies for the regional shoots. I can understand if you have been shooting for some time you are in the top 3 regualy that trophies may become little more than dust collectors, but i think perhaps for C&B class most shooters would still prefere a trophie for winning their first ft shoot rather than £10-15?

Just got to do the same at Gp level now, maybe this will be the year for an A class trophie?

2. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc

3. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Ft money or trophy

I would prefer a trophy but as you said they do just sit there and collect dust, in our region (FFTA) its still trophies as we can win money with the Golden Bunny.

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    In CSFTA you don't get anything along the way, however there are trophies for all grades and teams at the end of the year. We do run a bonus bunny each round, auto entry.

I think like you say, trophies are something to be cherished when you do something new... i've moved my C & B trophies off the shelf... it now has to say 1st or AA on it :D But I still like a little cash injection now n then ;)

5. rich

rich Active Member

SWEFTA used to pay out £3, £2 and £1 for 1st 2nd and 3rd in each grade at every round of the league. But some folk would leave early then someone else had to look after a quid for them till next time and it was all hard work.

We went over to doing a card certificate on the day of the shoot, 1st 2nd and 3rd in four grades plus piston class plus two hunter classes, 21 cards in all per shoot.

At the end of the season the 1st 2nd and 3rd in each class plus the showdown and plate winners get a trophy awarded at our trophy shoot, usually in November. We also have a trophy for the most improved shot and that is awarded in memory of a young shooter who died of cancer when he was about 22 years old.

6. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    No trophies or prizes over our way!:eek: The top shots just get disadvantaged by poor courses :(

7. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Trophies

Simon,

It is something we can bring up in WAFTA meetings to be honest fella. Id be happy getting trophies for the shoots, but the cost has gone up dramatically everywhere for them these days.

We used to get pewter and glass tankards at a reasonable price, there isnt such a thing these days. I mean if we put the price up a bit to shoot the comps then I wouldnt see a problem getting trophies then.

Something to look at eh fella....

What do you think Simon??

Berty

8. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Always a tricky one this.

The MFTA Winter League doesn't do anything for each individual round but does give out trophies at the end of the season for the league.

As the other posts suggest, it is good to get trophies as you are starting out but they do mean a bit less once you are up into AA where pride is more at stake.

The problem with cash prizes is the balance between making it seem worthwhile without making 'normal' shooters feel like they are funding a few top dogs.

It is nice to just have the odd shoot with the cash up for grabs, it sets certain events apart.

The golden bunny is great for re-distribution of wealth, shame it never seems to come my way:D

9. mikewills8904

Club:
    money

come on james the reason it dosent come ur way is that you have loads anyway:D

10. NJR 100

Club:
    Personally I think (after talking to shooters) C grade would probably be happier with trophies as it usually is new shooters. Can you remeber far enough back Mark what it was like to win your first trophy, good memories? I still got mine from 1990. Same for my Bfta C & B grade tophies, pride of place cause they were hard work.

As alot of our Wafta shooters seem to be B grade shooters, ie they are upgraded from c and then stuck in the B class, perhaps money for them and A class? Hard one to call hence my wondering what happens in other regions.

I personally, as one who spends alot of time preparing our ft shoots think that at £6 our entry is low for the amount of work that goes into putting on a shoot. I dont shoot to win money, I shoot cause I like it and lets face it even my old and poor back rig has just cost me nealry £700 so i dont think many of the ft shooters are that short of money?
    I would be happy to be paying £8-9 for wata entry and £1 on the Golden bunny, so a around £10 a day! I have a feeling others would only be happy with a £1-2 increase however.
    Our £5 raffle is a bit flat for me, lets look at golden bunny idea.
    Could have been £35 for grabs to the winner (Landy) sunday! Must be there at the draw to win it at the days end.

I also like the idea of a good end of season trophy, rather than a trophy for summer but nothing for winter as it is now. I think for us it would be a better system to combine the summer and winter scores (14 this yerar) and have a "Series" champion over say best 11 shoots. keep peoples interest going through the winter?

11. countorik

countorik BFTA C Grade Champion 2010

Club:
    Tondu
    I think there should be end of season trophies for the top three in each class in the winter series in the wafta region, after all we are re-graded the same as at the end of the summer series when trophies are awarded to the top three in each class. And as a potential AA shooter, I should get the trophy for winning c class. What do you think simon. Also could I have the thirteen removed and replaced by 29.

12. NJR 100

Club:
    Potential AA shooter? We took you to a craking shoot at Dowry hill and you hit 13 embarrising the club!
    So 13 stays under your name until after Bfta champs or Gp 1. Your new bfta score can perhaps be combined and averaged out then with 13!

Just to point out no other AA shooter missed the 15 yard stander Sunday at Tondu Pete, you know, the short stander, same as you missed at Dowry hill !
    Be warned, there will be 6 standers at gp 3, ranging from 12 - 15 yards, thats Countorik down 6 :p

13. mikewills8904

Club:
    trophies

perhaps it is time for a review.there seems little point in spending money on trophies for the winter leauge
    shoots as there are so few at shoots .

just use the winter as it is (to qualify for grand slam )and give money for the side shoots

it is not about winning money or tropies it is about enjoying the shoot:rolleyes:

14. mikewills8904

Club:
    now .now simon :(

you are just being nasty we should be encouraging the c class shooters

missing a 15 yard stander is bad mind ,but we all have done it
    [/SIZE]:eek:

i remember clearing the 20 shot standing and then missing 2 gimme standers the next day .
    13 has a ring to it though

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  15. NJR 100

Club:
    I am all for encouraging C class shooters, what i dont like is ringers :eek: lol

Still, he is on his way to B class, where he will stay:p

Saying that, I did correct his standing position :shot: today and he finally started hitting 15-20 yards standers lol