EFTA Travelling to south africa for the worlds

Discussion in 'EFTA Official Forum' started by James, Jan 22, 2020.

1. James

James New Member

Club:
    Broadlands
    Hi, out of those travelling for the worlds who did you book your flights with and what did you have to do iro the air rifle. Sorry for the dumb question, not done this before and our normal travel agent got confused with firearms implications. How do you guys 'prove ownership' too.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    There is no proof of ownership for a sub 12 ft-lb air rifle. It requires no certification, ownership or license papers and none are available.

Who are you flying with?
    What air rifle are you taking?
    Are you talking direct to the air line?

James and Scarborough shooter like this.
  3. Scarborough shooter

Scarborough shooter Top FT photographer

Club:
    York
    I would speak direct to the air line.
    BA about £125 each way for your gun and Virgin £65 each way
    I Assume you have booked direct so as to avoid any problems in other countries for your gun.

James likes this.
  4. James

James New Member

Club:
    Broadlands
    A couple of others from the Fenland region were talking about travelling withBA either leaving sat 15th or sunday 16th. I have not spoken to airline yet - wanted to see what I need to do. A lot of it seems to be when we land too.

5. RobF

Club:
    Best speak to the airline first. Tell them you’re taking a sub 12 ft-lb rifle that isn’t on an Firearms Certificate because it’s too low power. Then see what they say.

If you tell me what rifle you’re taking then it might be they can provide a letterheaded letter which states you are the owner and it’s sub 12. But it depends if that’s needed or not and what rifle it is.

6. James

James New Member

Club:
    Broadlands
    Rob its a walther lg300 dominator

7. RobF

Club:
    Ok. I’ll see what I can fix up. Can you pm me the serial number?

8. James

James New Member

Club:
    Broadlands
    Rob I have sent pm on our other conversation thread

RobF likes this.
  9. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

When I travelled to the 2009 world in SA, I booked a flight with South African Airways through Expedia.

After getting the flight booking I contacted the airline directly to inform them I would be travelling with a firearm (airguns are considered firearms by the airlines), they acknowledged this and when I arrived for check in they were aware of the special baggage requirements when processing my boarding cards.

I don't know if things have changed since but it was a relatively stress free process, the biggest pain was having to wait (about 1 hour) by the check in desk for G4S to rock up to take the gun case for loading onto the plane.

At Jo'burg the process is pretty straightforward, airguns under 5.6mm calibre are exempt from licensing, the only issue is if the SAPS officers manning the firearms office are clued up or not, they can be a bit variable based on personal experience, but stick to the point that it is an air rifle and they eventually get the message.

10. RobF

Club:
    For SA in 2009 I went with BA. It was simple, they even opened a lane up for me ahead of 1st Class and priority booking in the new terminal 5. I had a document from Walther (which I hope to get for you James) stating that the rifle was sub 16J, but no-one looked at it after I explained it was an air rifle. That was my first trip.

Give the airline a call and see what they want, and if they start asking for things we can get politely state that and offer the 'reciept' type document from Walther and see if they'll be happy with that. Get a reference and a name if you can, and ideally the name of the manager at whereever your flying from, just in case.