Transfer port o-ring

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by johnnyi, Sep 4, 2012.

1. johnnyi

johnnyi New Member

I recently changed the o-ring on the transfer port. I was able to get a good snap into place feel when replacing the o-ring. I reinstalled the transfer port and after a few shots the o-ring pops back out of position. I had a few other new o-rings that I tried them all with the same results. Is there a trick to make the o-ring stay put??

2. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Which gun would this be on?

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Probably a Steyr, if so try nipping the port in bit more with 4mm Allen key, careful though not too much. If it still doesn't work put a little of lube on bottom section the of o ring, might be enought to make it sit/stick in place

4. johnnyi

johnnyi New Member

Yes Steyr LG110. This is a 24j model with the black transfer port. There was a tiny air leak so I tried to change the o-ring. I had 3 new o-rings that I tried them all thinking there could be a tiny tolerance difference that maybe I would get lucky with a better fit (and stay in place). All of the new o-rings correct the leak. However will pop out of place after opening the bolt a few times. I went ahead and ordered a completely new transfer port with oring already installed. I was hoping someone knew a trick to keeping the oring in place so I could keep this old one as a backup... Thanks for the input..!

Conor I did slightly tweak a little more... I don't think I am brave enough to tighten much more. I dont want to damage that main chassis/frame.

5. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

There is a trick to fitting them harry preston showed me it.
    When fitting it don't press it in with it completely flat to the port,what happens is you trap air underneath it and it will constantly push it out,this is sometimes made worse when grease is applied.
    If you look carefully at the port you will see a tiny hole in the side of it.
    When you fit the o ring start at the opposite side to the hole and put it in at an angle gradually working it round towards the hole so any trapped air can escape.
    If it still comes out after this use a tiny and I mean tiny bit of super glue.
    Even after doing the above it can still be really difficult to fit,on mine I had to get the super glue out,You could try putting the transferport in some boiling water first to try and make it expand abit,that might make it easier.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012