Trajector Calculator

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by villiers, Dec 18, 2010.

1. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi i know we have the likes of Chairgun , but no matter how i use it or fugde the numbers i can not get them to line up with the real world on paper. But i stuck my numbers into http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php and i have to say they what it spat out line up with what i get on paper . Has anyone else tryed this one.:)

2. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Is that Brad Troyer's online calculator? For some reason he seems to have blocked the ISP I am using from access to his site.

I have used his STP for a while and it is generally more useful than CG, in that it is a simpler interface, and prints out nicely by comparison.

CG3 relies on the measurement of your scope height being taken AT THE MUZZLE, rather than where the scope sits, and this causes a yard or so difference at your zero distance, and there will be an anomaly until you realise what is going on. Even then you gotta tweak things if you have a tilted rail, and compare against your own proved trajectory to get near to accurate results in CG. What's the point then????

I don't like or use the "predictive" types of software. There's only one time honoured way of doing things, and that is to record ACTUAL trajectory by shooting it.

I'll use software that "interpolates and exterpolates" data that I have actually proven to be correct on the firing range, but not "stab in the dark" software that uses weights measures and voodoo.

GS

3. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    Yes it is the Brad Troyer's it is about 1 1/4 click out at 55yards , i know that i will stick to doing on paper but it was a good check.:)

4. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    i do everthing on paper never trust computor programs,i found chairgun woz out for me

5. rich

rich Active Member

I've just run a back to back comparison between this calculator and chairgun 2 (I haven't got v3) and for my set up they are in accord, as far as makes no practical difference. Mosquitos running at 812fps and a quarter click scope with 2.1 inches optical height.

OK CG is telling me to put on 25 clicks at full chat, usually I will give 23 or 24, and the BT output says 24 clicks. In reality one click at 55 yards is about one pellet diameter; I can shake that much very easily. :D

6. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    Rich how were the close ones 8 10 yards?

7. rich

rich Active Member

Well, the American program is hard wired it seems and it starts at ten yards, and it says 31 clicks whereas CG2 says 32 and in fact I dial 36.

At 9 yards CG predicts 40 clicks and I give it 44.

At 8 yards CG says 51 and I give 13+3 which is 55 clicks.

I measure my ranges from the muzzle; at longer distances it doesn't make a flick of difference but at short ranges it's important to specify a reference point. 8 yards from the muzzle is 8.5 yards from the breech, near enough, and in that yard I've added 11 clicks.

Oddly enough I've always found CG2 under-estimates the clicks needed at close ranges. Maybe it's down to my ranging process as above.

8. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Rangign and dialling

Personally,

I always do my clicks by testing on the boards myself, never trusted anything else.

You never know unless you do your own testing. They may be good as a reference point but that would be it for me...

Berty