Track down the reason for a POI shift

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by DaveRob, Jul 26, 2018.

1. North Ox Nath

North Ox Nath New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    Hi gents first post so be gentle with me. I bought a brand new challenge hft 10 days ago and a swfa 10x42 to put on it. I was extremely happy with it when I set it up. I found some pellets that it really likes (webley acupels) and was getting 5p sized groups at 40 yards shooting off bags. I shot a course at my local club on Sunday and couldn't knock anything over so I shot at a face plate at 20 yards and it was shooting low and right about 15mm (zeroed at 30 yards). I had monday off work and spent a few hours at the plinking range to try and work out what was wrong. Before shooting I gave the barrel a thorough pull through and re zeroed at 30 yards again. Everything was going great again for about a fill (200 bar down to 100) then I was getting poi shift again, first high and left then after re zeroing low and right by about 20mm at 30 yards. It was grouping just as good as before just the poi was shifting every so often. I then put a couple felts through it and it seemed to stabilize again. From this I can only assume that it likes a spotless barrel? The acupels it likes are a very dirty pellet, they leave a fair bit of residue and dust on your fingers after handling them. I don't think my issues are temperature related as it couldn't have shifted more than a couple of degrees over the three hours or so I was there. The wind was also only blowing at about 2-3 mph so I don't believe that had much of an effect. I thought that it could be the new scope but it seems solid, however I haven't tried it on another gun. Obviously after spending over £2500 on my new setup I'm pretty frustrated. Any thoughts or insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    Can we see a couple of photos of your rig, it may help.

3. North Ox Nath

North Ox Nath New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    I'll try and post some this evening. I'm going to my local club after work for a plink and will try and keep a record of how many shots I take before I notice any changes. I cleaned the barrel again last night in preparation. It may be worth noting that I haven't done anything to the gun just shot it out the box and when plinking on monday I was shooting fairly rapidly (every 15-20 seconds).

4. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Stick another barrel on and see what happens.;)

5. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

Everything was going great again for about a fill (200 bar down to 100)

If youre getting poi shift at 100 bar,does it come.back on after refilling

6. Y-geo

Y-geo Just another day at the office..........

Club:
    Northfields (W5) S.C
    hi,
    If the pellets are that dirty, why not wash them ?
    S & F
    Y_Geo.

7. North Ox Nath

North Ox Nath New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    Here are some photos of my new baby. Picture quality is not the best. 20180905_162435.jpg 20180905_162449.jpg 20180905_162532.jpg 20180905_162553.jpg

8. North Ox Nath

North Ox Nath New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    What I mean is after a fill (70 shots or so) and at some point into the second fill I'm getting the poi shift. Somewhere between 80-100 shots. The gun is consistent throughout the fill.

9. North Ox Nath

North Ox Nath New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    That's the next thing I'm going to do. Hoping that will at least give me more shots before the poi shift occurs. After shooting last night I'm convinced it's a clean barrel issue. 90% certain anyway.

10. North Ox Nath

North Ox Nath New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    Ha ha if all else fails I'll consider it. There's a steyr in my local shop with a cz barrel on it actually......

11. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

Does cleaning the barrel cure the shift

12. North Ox Nath

North Ox Nath New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    Yes it seems to. I need to have a good session with it on a calm day to confirm this. I had a few shots at the plinking range last night but there was a fair bit of wind so I went and shot a course that was put out. The gun performed great, my hold overs were all as expected. I only shot about 80 shots total last night. I spoke to another club member about the issue, he has 2 steyrs one set up for ft and the other for hft. He has the same issue with his ft rig and has to clean it after every comp or 100 shots.

13. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

As a first step I would talk to the supplier of the gun and tell them your problem see what they say

14. North Ox Nath

North Ox Nath New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    I got it from Bicester Target and I'm planning to go there on Saturday. The shop is owned/ ran by members of NOFTC and Clive is very experienced with steyrs. Hopefully he can shed a bit more light on the issue. Sorry for spamming the thread by the way, this issue has been pretty annoying.

15. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Like I've said its your barrel. Stop using holdover and repeatably shoot at the 55yrd board at a precise point. You'll soon see the effect after 40 mins

16. uk_stretch

uk_stretch Member

This is exactly what my Walther does if you try to run it clean. You end up running it so clean that you get a POI after 100 shots or so. And cleaning it with wet pull through restored it.

But having now cleaned it thoroughly and allowed it to lead in a bit the issue is gone. No more shift and I’m cleaning at 2-3 dry felts per 100 shots then a wet felt or two if grouping changes. (Not POI)

So I’d try shooting a tin through it without giving a damn and with only a dry felt or two. Then go bang a few hundred down at 55 to see what happens.

Or if you like it ultra clean then keep it ultra clean.

2p

Stretch

17. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    if my barrel needed cleaning even every 500 shots it would be in the bin

luddite likes this.
  18. fatwelshboy

fatwelshboy Member

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    My Steyr Challenge FT needed cleaning every time I filled it, approx 140 shots.

19. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    it took me quite some time to find a cleaning routine for my 110, basically i dont pull it through anymore, a few felts through after every session i shoot has kept it tip top.

20. Archer50

Archer50 Active Member

Yep - what Mr SpeckleD said.

Alan