Too cold for .177

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Charlie Brown, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown New Member

Hello. I have been out practicing (posh plinking) this morning and it is 2 deg. After an hour my two exposed fingers (thumb and index) from my gloves (the rest of the gloves have full length finger covers) were so cold that I could not physically pick a pellet from my pellet pouch. Because of this, I took my hardly ever used other gun, my .22 BSA Lightning from the boot (I always take it shooting as a spare), and the pellets being bigger meant my frozen fingers could pick them out ok and so I got another full hour plinking fun. AT LAST I HAVE FOUND A GOOD REASON TO ALSO HAVE A .22: VERY COLD WEATHER SHOOTING. Was going to sell it but will now keep it for that very reason. Anyone else do the same?

Rgds

Charlie.

2. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Charlie that is the problem with shooting airguns it makes you daft in the ed we drove over to wolverhampton (Millride) and shot a winter league it was minus 10'c when i left my house and for most of the shoot it was minus 8 getting up to nearly minus 2'c Prizes none enjoyment 10/10 shooting abillity nearly rubbish but not quite so as stated not right in the head welcome fellow fruit lupe to the club.

3. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Cheap charcoal handwarmer in the pocket soon sorts that problem. Just shot a winter league with .177 field target rifles between -9 and 0 and with the handwarmer in the pocket no real problems loading my pro-target (which is direct to barrel and can be fiddly.

4. Jon

Jon Member

No moans today quite warm actually, yesterday a different matter although around 6 degrees warmer minus the wind chill it was unbearable way past the point of not feeling the pellets.

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    minus 6.5 degrees at north oxon today, didn't feel too bad after putting on 2 jackets, windproof undershell, 2 long sleeve tshirts, thin hoody, and a tshirt underneath... shooting springer kept me warm, hand not cold all day, was still able to open envelope for the bonus bunny at end of day :D