To Tsar or not to Tsar

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Archer50, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Archer50

Archer50 Member

Hi Folks

I had a chance to shoot a few pellets from a Tsar the other day and was pleasantly surprised by the weight, balance and general feel of the gun. I've had a look at this and some other websites but I've still got a couple of questions the Tsar shooters (or ex-Tsar shooters!) on here might be able to help me with.
    • I'm hearing on the grapevine that the regulator takes a long time (minutes) to come back to pressure. Anybody finding that, or any other problems with the reg?

• Any problems with corrosion, poor anodising or the quality of the finish in general?
    • How easy is the gun to work on compared with, say a Steyr? How anti-tampered is it and are spares easily available?

• Any general thoughts about this as an HFT gun, especially how it compares with an Lg110?
    I look forward to some good bedtime reading.

Cheers

Alan

Lavant_Lad likes this.
  2. GraySaint

GraySaint WFTF 2015 World Champion

get an Ataman, same gun but cheaper.

3. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    The Ataman M2 Sport is not easy to buy in the UK, and I suspect if you could find one it would cost more than Daystate Tsar which is widely available here.

JoostB likes this.
  4. GraySaint

new ataman m2 sport cost GBP 1465 here.

5. trubadur

trubadur New Member

Club:
    NAFT
    in Russia?

6. stevo357

stevo357 New Member

I no of 4 people who have had tsar non have them now, all sold on, all sorts of problems reported, plus Daystate customer service is very bad,

7. jackspratt

jackspratt Jack Spratt

Club:
    City of Stoke on Trent Rifle and Pistol Club
    I had one when they first came out.

Knurled knob on the hamster went orange with rust in a matter of weeks and the pistol grip never tightened properly, no matter how hard it was tweaked!

The trigger I made way better with a bit of work and it stayed like that.

No problem with the reg refill time either.

Accuracy was every bit as good as my FWB 800 FT - at which I was very surprised considering the difference in cost.

It's lighter than the FWB or the Steyr (I owned both) so it makes real sense if you get a good one.

It's definitely not "Moskvich" calibre but not German engineering either!

ATB

John

8. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    The one I have is a later version serial number after 32,000 ,trigger is very good.
    No issues at the moment with the finish .
    I posted this image of a Chrono string I shot, a short time ago .
    20180910_113719.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  9. GraySaint

here Высокоточное оружие и аксессуары
    For myself, i've been working with Ataman since 2011, been sponsored by them for the 2011 Worlds (finished 11th, lost in shootover for 10th place to Pepone), 2012 Estonian International Open (won) and 2015 Euros in Spain (17th place). This all was completely different rifles build specially for me, after the competition they all returned back to Ataman, with my feedback. Still, for all these years i preferred FWB p70 that i own.
    This year, i asked to build me a rifle for Silhouette shooting (because i won one, but never cared to take it from Ataman). It is M2 Sport FT version with a stock from M2 Match. This rifle i used this year in Worlds. I can not blame a rifle for my poor results, even if i still prefer FWB, this particular Ataman rifle is better by the terms of accuracy.
    But, inconsistency is the keyword. I know people who is quite happy with their rifles, and some who struggle. On the plus side, the base of the rifle is strong, simple and reliable. It does not have small or complicated parts. Remember, there is 5..5 and 6.35 rifles build on the same base with same parts. On the minus side, the laminate work is lacking, quality is inconsistent, the hamster is rubbish.
    So, if you are fan of Kalashnikov-style solutions, and you usually fixing stuff with a hammer - go for it. Otherwise, this rifle is not for you.

10. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Am I correct in thinking Pepone finished 6th at the FT World's in Poland 2018, and he was using the Ataman M2 Sport ?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  11. GraySaint

Yes, he did a very good job shooting, and the weather conditions was very tuff to the rifles. Very dusty and hot in first day, and then we almost drowned.

Lavant_Lad likes this.
  12. jackspratt

jackspratt Jack Spratt

Club:
    City of Stoke on Trent Rifle and Pistol Club
    I rest my case - accurate and apparently tuff as well!!

John

Waldo likes this.
  13. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Loved mine. Light easy to work on and accurate. Trigger good after a slight tweak. Fit and finish is no FWB800x but shot just as well if not better. Agree the hamster not the best, grip rotates and needs a non slip leather washer or similar to hold firm. Also fit for the butt adj mech was poor, needed slack taken up.
    I have a few rifles but it was one of the best for me. Can be picked up at good money second user now. Well worth a try imho.
    Kr
    John

jackspratt likes this.
  14. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC
    I had one for about 2 years, no issues at all, it was a great gun, very accurate, good finish, good trigger, good consistency...………...you get the drift.

I can't speak for others and their guns, perhaps they are a bit hit and miss? But from my perspective I'd have another tomorrow, I experienced none of the issues you mentioned and it was also adjustable for power, so why would you remove the anti tamper? It was on par with my LG110, but considerably cheaper, and I preferred it to the mechano feel of the Steyr. The Steyr have a big following, but many have spent hundreds on them to get them to shoot right, but they forget this when talking about how good they are. I'm not against the Steyr - again, mine was fault free and a great gun for the 4 years I had it, but I sold both the Tsar and Steyr as there were other rifles I preferred to shoot from a feel and aesthetics point of view - new Red Wolf as an example, but this is just my preference.

James

Waldo and jackspratt like this.
  15. Archer50

Archer50 Member

Thanks Guys. I've asked about the regulators on another forum, but I think I've got a chance to borrow one for a few days, so I'll see how I find it.

Alan