1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Challenge or not?

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by bootneckbob, May 13, 2017.

1. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Not the best picture but I've only just set it up. Challenge for FT and LG for HFT. I shoot in the SWEFTA league so HFT is out to 55yds hence riser rails on both rifles.
    What I will actually do is just swap the scopes (as I did when I just had the LG) and shoot them both for a while. I'm not really expecting any difference. The only thing I've noticed so far is a slight change in the moulding of the trigger guard and the location of the tuning screw is set slightly further back on the Challenge.

The accessory rail runs the full length except on the electronic version. The rear stock does seem to be the major change but I didn't get that on my spec, TBH I was already happy with the fit as it was although I wouldn't knock it as an improvement.

Attached Files:

cloverleaf and Spoilt_scorecard like this.
  2. bootneckbob

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Another difference is the coating/finish on the barrel. The Challenge is definately matt black where my 2014 HFT LG is more satin but the thing I really just noticed is the breech. On the LG its shinney and unpainted, the Challenge is all black. Probably nothing more than the finishing process but it's different. Off to the range shortly to shoot a few groups. It's an outdoor range and a bit windy so I won't be expecting one hole groups (today).

cloverleaf likes this.
  3. bootneckbob

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Yesterday was all a bit rushed and the results underwhelming to say the least so went to Shebbear today as it was a reasonably still day. This is the best group shot today; only shot my usual batch of heavies (JSB) which were bought for my Daystate Grand Prix but after selling it a while ago I have been using them in my LG 110. Only tweaks were to the stripper and harmonic screw.
    I don't know if anyone has floated theirs yet; I did notice there are actually a few around (one post that was put up on here had lots of photos from a recent shoot; NEFTA I think). The barrel does seem really tight with the chassis. Not too bothered though at the mo.

Attached Files:

4. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Member

Hmm.. unfortunately not wonderful is it?

I'd hope you might get on better with the usual Exacts / Expresses..

5. bootneckbob

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    I'll try them but I've found the heavies to be better, probably down to me using them for so long. You have to remember that is a 55 yard group shot outdoors with a little wind; Shebbear is an open field and renowed for the wind. There's no aiming off or using wind flags. I'd like to shoot it indoors soon; I shot my LG in the 'indoor lane' at the rifleman range in Somerset and had the ragged one hole group with the heavies and the same with a very good batch of 8.4 Tone on here was using in the next lane. Of course with no wind there were none left and right of the group as there are in my photo.

cloverleaf likes this.