Time for a Good HFT Scope

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by luger, Feb 20, 2010.

1. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Malta Allied Airgunners Club
    I have finally decided that it's time for a decent HFT scope on my Steyr LG110 HP.

At the moment I got a Hawke Airmax 6-18x44 which I turn mag down to x10. Not such a bad scope but DOF is a little crappy. From 7-11yrds its just a blur and practaically a 50-50 chance of knocking down the target! From 12-15 yrds, it gets a little better but still too blury to easily knock down the target.

Time to invest in a decent second hand HFT scope with good DOF. I have shortlisted 4 scopes but have never looked through any one of them as none of the shooters over here own one. Most of the guys over here use the same big FT scopes they use for FT, hence the low scores we get over here :eek: When we get high scores it's because we put the targets further than 15yrds! One of the guys who will be shooting at Kelmarsh has just bought a Bushnell Elite, forgot which model it is. Looked through it and got excellent clarity and DOF but very, very expensive. Don't fancy spending so much on an HFT scope. Another shooter just bought an EB Sniper but have not had the chance to look through it but told me it's got very good DOF and read lots of good things about it on this and other forums. Many top HFT shooters in the UK use this scope so it must be good. So this is my HFT scope shortlist :

1) EB Sniper 10x42
    2) Falcon Manace 10x42
    3) Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40
    4) Nikko Sniper 10x42

The EB is top on the list. They all more or less cost the same second hand but have no idea on the DOF of the other 3 HFT scope contenders!

Any help in guiding me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Kris

2. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    There is a reason why the EB is the most successful HFT scope in the UKAHFT series. (it's flippin good)
    #
    However, I do not think it is as good as the new Hawke 10X42 (If you can get one)

3. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters

Gary I hope the hawke does do well, but we have had "new super scopes" before, i wouldn't be so bold with stating its a better scope untill we see people getting good consistant results with one.

Pete

4. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Has anyone ever tried any of the other 3 scopes?

Or should I just wait till a second hand EB Sniper turns up for sale?

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Can't wait to see this scope, I've heard so many good things from people who've had freebies but I'd really like to see one which has been bought with real hard earned cash.;)

6. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Including the one raving about one just before it was recalled :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  7. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Optically i would say the Nikko 10x42 has the edge, but hard to get hold of, but not that much of a difference to be honest.

But we all like different things, where i love the EB some people can't get on with them

Pete

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  8. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Hi Kris, I shot with the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 for about 18 months and they are in my opinion an excellent scope but then I got an EB Sniper and wouldn't change back....says it all really mate;)

Dave

9. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Thank you all for the feedback guys..................EB Sniper it is :D:D:D

10. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Popped into BAr when I was down south last week and picked up the new Hawke, looked through it and for the cash its very hard to beat so i bought one. Its the HFt version with the 38 mm objective.

Got it home and on the indoor range compared it side by side with My Bushie 6500.

Its good but not as good as the Bushnell in my opinion which has the edge in DOF. It is less than half the price though, for the £230 asking price I have not seen anything better. Spend a bit more cash and you do get more scope.

If that was someones budget I would highly recommend it. Im still using my Bushies though.

If anyone is looking for a brand new, never mounted, still in the box one i have one going spare.

11. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

If the EB is your number one choice then the Nikko should be higher on your list.;)

12. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

A couple that I've seen aren't true mildot though Chris :(

13. ikarma70

ikarma70 New Member

my mate has a nikko sportsman(formerly known as the sniper range) 6-24x42 in very good condition for £180 posted....bloody gorgeous jap optics,target turrets,mildot,sidewheel focus.

14. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Both of the rear PA Nikko Snipers I've had (still have one of them) definitely are.:confused:
    Has it been a particular version (side or rear PA)? Would be a strange one to find a fixed 10x mil-dot scope that wasn't true. Schoolboy error on the part of the manufacturer.:D

15. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    I'm getting kinda confused now :confused:

..........one thing for sure is that these EB Sniper scopes don't come up for sale too often :(

Think I'm gonna have to settle for something else.........

16. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Have a look at the Lightstream FFP, I'm impressed and I used a 6500 last year;)

17. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    I agree the Lightstream 4.5-14x44 FFP scope is a class act.

18. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    This scope is way out of my budget :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Second hand Lightstream under £300, Second Hand 6500 £350 minimum;) Second hand EB £200? for my eyes the Lightstream wins.

20. Weevie

Weevie Banned

Yeah and a golden fleece to go with it too! :D

Just looked on ebay.co.uk and .com and neither have any Nikko Super Snipers (which is the mythical scope Sam Vimes is talking about :D:p).

Neither can I find the Tasco branded version either!

Luger I'd say that the EB Sniper is the only version of this scope that you're likely to find anytime soon unless you get very lucky.

The problem you really have is that different scopes suit different eyes. Some people swear by the EB Sniper, other equally good shooters swear at them.

I've got an EB and whilst I really like it, my scores would suggest I'm not the person to advise.

One option would be to wait until you're at the Worlds and ask your fellow HFT'ers if you can have a look through their scopes. It's always better to take a look through scopes that are mounted, you get a better idea of what the experience of actually using a particular scope will be like.

At that point you can wander round the trade stalls and see what's on offer. Maybe you find a bargain (or then again...:D)