Thumb up for BR?

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by mrgeoff, Feb 7, 2018.

1. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I used to shoot my Rapid thumb up, kinda liked it as I shoot most of my rifles thumb up. Hardly held the grip as it was just a light squeeze between the finger and thumb.

The 9015 BR stock however does not allow for a thumb up shooting position, forcing me to change my grip/pressure on the grip. Think im pulling it.

Question:
    1. Should I stick with the grip provided, and improve my technique. (guess its like that for a reason)
    2. Get the dremel out and fettle the stock to make it thumb up.

Thanks - Geoff.

2. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Geoff, I rest my trigger hand ( in my case my left ) on a flat bag to support my wrist , I'm only touching the trigger with the pad of my finger.

My P70ft has right hand woodwork ,doesn't cause me a problem as it's not necessary the rifle "fits" you as in FT / HFT disciplines

3. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    Geoff I have a true thumb up stock made by Jon Harris for FT, for me it’s the only way.

4. robt

robt Member

Club:
    BFTO. Camberley Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hi Waldo,
    Interested in the BR comp that you shoot in. By my reading of the rules, your technique is not allowed under NSRA or Hendon League rules. I know there are lots of comps with different rules, BFTO allows (actually it demands) the use of a snug fitting sand bag both front and rear, as long as they are not connected.
    For those who aren't aware, the technique is called "Free recoil" here shown using a firearm

Rob

5. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Rob, I can assure you my technique is perfectly legal and just to be100% I confirmed the position with the UKBR22 competition organiser before I replied to your comment :)

UKBR22 rules are available to read on the forum without logging in.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  6. robt

robt Member

Club:
    BFTO. Camberley Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hi Waldo, sorry wasn't saying your technique was illegal in the comp you were shooting, just interested which comp that was. Strange that organisers can't come to one set of rules for a relatively simple competition, makes life hard if you compete in more than one version.
    Rob.

7. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Hi Rob, I'm glad you brought it up as someone else was unsure so I asked the question.
    We don't want any hard erned points deducted :(

I find the UKBR22 rules easy to understand

As in other sports different people have different ideas .

Gordon.