Thigh/leg rest under latest WFTF rules

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by SDplinker, Aug 30, 2012.

1. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    http://www.world-field-target-feder...eld Target Federation Comprehensive Rules.pdf

Are these allowed under Rule 1.1 "Fully adjustable rifle stocks are permitted" or they allowed/not allowed under Rule 1.4 "Rifle Accessories Allowed".

I guess the issue is are they part of the rifle/stock or are they a separate item? Some pics of the item I'm referring to are below. Used to support the butt of the rifle against the rear leg. I'm working on the ergonomics of my stock and wanted to see if there was any consensus or ruling. Thanks

Casey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Casey Yes they are legal providing you start the match with it on and do not remove it during the match.regards Steve

3. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    sorry if this is a daft question but if you can have a thigh support while sitting can you have a hip support for standers if you apply the same ruling?

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    In my eyes they are slightly against the spirit of the sport, as where do attachments and supports stop? What is acceptable?
    I am ok with the use of the thigh rest but as mentioned where do the supports stop, whats acceptable and whats not is open to individual interpretation and opinion. is a hip rest for standers within the rules?? not sure :confused:

The thigh rest is an additional attachment that doesn't exist originally but then again either is a custom hamster and/or butt hook.

5. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I think no will be your answer there Dan

6. DeanB

DeanB Active Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Interesting how the chap in the first photo takes kneelers without the hamster resting on the forearm. Perhaps he holds the very high hamster.

Dean

7. DaveyNZ

DaveyNZ It's spreadsheet time!

Club:
    WAGNZ, NRC, MCASA, NZAFTA
    If I remember rightly greg twists the hamster 90 degrees and then it fits the curve of his hand for kneelers.

8. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I believe the rules allow them and also give excellent support in standers because the open arm makes the rifle enter in the shoulder with more pressure especially shooting downhill, what we need to pay attention is if the shooter only repositions it during line time.

In Ian day 2 minute 2 you can see how it’s used in standers.

The problem with those and other add-on’s is that they make us worst shooters. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  9. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    I think Greg is standing in that pic, not kneeling. If he was kneeling his forearm would naturally fall onto his leg not be tucked into his hip.:)

10. Greg5850

Greg5850 New Member

No thigh rest next year

Hi all,

Regarding thigh rests; When I contacted Johann (past WFTF president) prior to Norway about the thigh rest on my gun, he told me that it was OK this year but if the new rules were accepted as is that it probably would be illegal next year, as would the curved hamster I have.

I took the thigh thing off my gun the last time out and the main difference was during range finding. It helps hold the gun steady while the right hand operates the focus wheel. I found I shot the same with or without it.

In the U.S. almost all the Steyrs have curved hamsters because that's the way Alan Zasadny (main Steyr tuner) makes them. I presently have a flat hamster in the works.

On another note, its a good thing I wasn't drinking when this post came up, I would have spit juice all over my computor! What a surprise to see my mug on the Breeze!

Good Shooting to all

Greg S

11. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Greg,

Good to see you here I don't know if you remember me I'm the guy who helped you in the first day during the gun filling.

When someone shoots so well and got your position there is always an explanation is the weapon or something in it. :D

There are always a marshal and judges but they don’t count only the observers especially if they shoot less them you.

When someone speaks of you know you are in the right track.:p

12. Conor

Club:
    Hi Greg, good shoiting in Norway BTW,

Your hamster is fine.

Think the wording of that ruling has got mixed up somehow and would need rectifying, you can have any shape hamster you wish.
    I think it means your not permitted to have a shaped pad on the knee to rest the gun on

Problems occur where individuals use hamsters to rest the gun on the leading arm especially on kneelers

13. DaveyNZ

Club:
    Seems to read pretty clearly to me:

14. Conor

Club:
    How many flat hamsters have you ever seen?

15. DaveyNZ

Club:
    Most of the ones in NZ are... by flat I mean they are straight... not necessary flat ie they might be straight but angled downwards.

I think the main issue it is trying to address is the lateral not longitudinal profile anyway?? That was my understanding of the spirit it was written in.

16. DeanB

DeanB Active Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Sorry, I was meaning that it must be difficult to take kneelers without the hamster resting on the forearm - someone else has since explianed that the hamster is moved out for those shots.
    Dean

17. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Hi Greg

Hope you don't think I was singling you out - yours and Ians pics were the first couple I could find from the worlds that clearly showed the equipment in question. I was thinking of fitting one to my rifle since I plan to shoot WFTF and wanted to conform to the new rules. Don't want to go through the expense/hassle if I can't use it. I can use all the help I can get with my shooting, rangefinding or otherwise... thanks,

Casey

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It was a misinterpretation of BFTA rules which said that any surface the gun rests against must be flat and free from any lateral support. The point of the BFTA rule was to stop shaped knee rests. I believe the EFTA informed the WFTF of this before the rules were released but it wasn't amended.

There is no definition of a hampster, and no specification on what tolerance of flat there should be, what area etc... if you want to be pedantic, an stock with a hole in the bottom isn't flat... or angled as Davey points out. Water sits on a flat surface, if it's angled it runs off.

In my personal opinion it's badly worded and needs looking at. Quite why there seemed to be little traffic about this point when the rules were released I don't know. Perhaps everyone was excited about Norway... ;)

Give your reps a bash on the noggin to raise it before Germany. Personally I think there needs to be some sense applied to stock attachments, and the paraphernalia being worn/carried around... but that's me. What I don't think anyone wants to see is the WFTF being shot with stirrups to the waist for standers, straps that allow rifles to be let go of but still remain on target, and battery powered video camera stabilisation systems... they aren't banned in the rules (well some are), but I've seen them used... (not in the UK).

To add a little history, chest pegs (similar to what the chaps use on the pics) were a thing found in 10m where they were allowed because they replaced the touch that a wooden stock made on the chest which was lost when alu stocks came into being. FWIW i don't remember seeing any being used in 10m, but they're sold all the same. I assume the longer ones we see are an adapt.

19. Greg5850

Greg5850 New Member

Glad to see discussion

Casey,

Absolutely no problem on my end. Just a surprise to see my pic on the forum. I'm quite glad to see the discussion as I want to be totally clear before Germany next year. Rob had some interesting info on the 10m chest pegs.

I'm using the thigh rest for the U.S. Nationals (WFTF class) After that I'll practice without it pending clarification.

Thanks

Greg S

20. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Hi Greg,

Perhaps send Volker Blum a picture if you're worried, but for me it falls within the rules. :)