FT The secret to shooting in the wind

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Brian.Samson, May 26, 2014.

1. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Read the long blurb at the front of this post Mark, it explains what the idea is about this game.

The obvious answer is that you don't know the wind speed in mph for a single shot, but.. with experience you can judge whether the wind is stronger for a shot than it was for the previous shot. So the exact speed doesn't matter - you learn from previous targets, and you learn from the zero range too. (that's why there's a zero range in the game)

As Simon says - 'Experience' - but the premise of this game is that part of the secret of shooting in the wind is experience, and part of it is ballistics. The experience part you have to get by shooting, the ballistics part you can learn sat in front of your computer.

2. Detelin

Detelin New Member

Very good simulator and great fun whit it.

3. Phil Parker

Phil Parker Haven't a clue - FT

Club:
    Hereward Field Target and Air Rifle Club
    Explains a lot to a new FT shooter, Thanks.

Andy P likes this.
  4. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    I'm addicted to this silly game (no offence Brian ) and I can assure you there ain't no secret to shoot'n in the wind !!!!!!!!

Glenn and Phil Parker like this.
  5. Paul Tuttle

Paul Tuttle New Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Great program. If only the wind was consistent and not gusting and swirling.....

6. Dazza no7

Dazza no7 New Member

Very informative

7. Mark Brameld

Mark Brameld Active member

Club:
    Byley
    No secret, this formula helps to get you in the area, you still need to be able to judge the wind speed though. It's why I have a FFP scope.
    Distance to target /100 X wind /2

40 yards/100. X 8mph /2

0.4 X 4 = 1.6 mil.
    It sort of works for me until I get more experience.

8. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    With experience, you'll realise that the direction of the wind is very important too ;)

9. Mark Brameld

Mark Brameld Active member

Club:
    Byley
    Ha, my experience tells me it's more the direction of my pellets than the wind that's the issue.

10. 1turnout

1turnout New Member

Club:
    Castle
    This game is addictive, just thinking about making a return to FT after a 10 year break. I used to dislike aiming completely off the target but this graphically depicts why it is often necessary. Just need to tweak the program with a random gustometer button now:). Thanks for the effort Brian

11. Paul Tuttle

Paul Tuttle New Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    I think the program's great, but I'm not sure the wind blowing directly in line with the barrel has as great an effect on the elevation of the pellet as the program suggests. 5 MPH equates to 7.3 FPS, which is not much more than the variance I get, sending 10 pellets through the chronograph ~ 756 FPS +/- 5 FPS. So I would tend to aim within the target for elevation - top half for wind against and bottom half for wind assist. I try to imagine a flat ellipse around the Kill that is greater in the x direction (horizontal) than the Y direction (Vertical). The ellipse grows proportionately with wind strength. In light wind the ellipse may sit entirely within the Kill. Stronger winds it may extend 1-2 inches outside the kill left or right. The aim point will the be represented by a point on the ellipse based on the wind direction.
    I think the program is based on a circular rather than elliptical effect. My guess is the pellet is more aerodynamic in the direction of travel and thus less affected by Wind in the direction of travel, whereas, cross wind has a greater drag affect and it becomes more a function of time of flight.
    If it is blowing so much that the vertical aim point is outside the Kill, I probably won't be shooting.....

12. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    The program suggests the vertical distance is negligible. Which I believe is what you're suggesting it should be?

If you're seeing a vertical shift while playing the game, that will be due to your average group size - that's one of the parameters you entered when you started playing the game.