The Pro-Target & Burris 3-9x32 Sako Quad

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by daveuk, Jan 30, 2012.

1. daveuk

daveuk New Member

Club:
    Liege
    This thread is a 'carry on' from a sales section thread we managed to take over, discussing the above combination.
    There are currently 3 people with this set up and getting the scope to mount correctly can be difficult.
    The PT is a Field Target rifle designed to take big scopes and is fitted with a bridge rail to accommodate long tubed scopes and big objectives.
    The bridge can be removed in order to bring a smaller scope closer to the barrel. However the breech on a PT has two separate levels, the rear of the breech is machined lower than the front.
    The only way to install a scope without the bridge is to use a medium mount to the rear (plus packing) and a low mount to the front.
    Unfortunately and partly why the sales thread went slightly off topic, the eye relief with this setup is too short for most.
    I've found that a medium mount at the rear - single strap single screw - fitted right up to the end of the breech, just about gives me the correct eye relief.
    I will attach a picture of my current set up.
    Photos of other mounting systems will hopefully appear when the other users get the chance.
    Dave

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. daveuk

daveuk New Member

Club:
    Liege
    Hopefully some pictures accompany this:

Attached Files:

3. blackscale

blackscale Member

It is a great combination, the Pro Target has always been one of my favourite rifles, looks gorgeous and is built like a tank...with a trigger to match a Walther imo :D:D

(Can't do pics but will try when i eventually get mine together!)

Springer season for me so pcp's have taken a back seat for a few months (no wonder i am crap...):D
    For anyone that hasn't used a Pt and is thinking of buying an s400, for around the same money secondhand, it would be worth trying one if you get a chance.

spongey X

4. plattitude

plattitude Active Member

Club:
    Anston
    My Pro-Target Mk3 with Welham reg is going to be my HFT rifle for this year, I have mounted a Hawke4-12x40 Panorama scopes on a single piece low mount that I cut away to allow it to be clamped to the rear dovetail. I look to be getting around 33.5mm centre to centre and having only just zeroed it,everything from about 12 to 32 yards are within 3 pellet diameters( just over 1/2") so fairly flat, but I have not shot a comp with it yet so its wait and see.

Paul

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  5. daveuk

daveuk New Member

Club:
    Liege
    Hi, Paul.
    That is a nice solution. It's one that I may try if I can get the right eye relief.
    Dave

6. plattitude

plattitude Active Member

Club:
    Anston
    Hi Dave
    Had the idea after trying it with the bridge on and with a 30mm tube mtc and thought the setup was just too high, I did not want to cut down the breech so decided to chop up a cheap 1 piece mount and hope it held up, as I said earlier I have only tried it on the zero range but there appears to be no crossover so all is in line, and it sits really low, I might try it out again this weekend and see if anything has altered.

Paul

7. blackscale

blackscale Member

Despite the lack of a bridge, they should be stable i reckon, as the breech block is quite substantial!
    Looks like another good way around the differing heights. :D;)

Must admit packing mounts has never seemed like a great idea, i wonder how hard it would be to get a mount machined to overcome this problem?

X:D

8. daveuk

daveuk New Member

Club:
    Liege
    I'd like to get the scope as close to the barrel as the breech allows - so that I can use the Ballistic ret for a 25yd zero and 35 & 45 as the other 2 points
    A chat with the guys at Rowan might be worthwhile. They can manufacture anything - even robots:eek:
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  9. plattitude

plattitude Active Member

Club:
    Anston
    Well I can't get my setup any lower, well I can't get my scope cover on the front of the scope so it'll do for me:):)

Paul

10. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

out of curiosity what is the difference in height between the two halfs the rail?
    im sure a set of bkl mounts could be made to fit.

11. blackscale

blackscale Member

I haven't measured it but it is around the difference between a low sportsmatch and a medium one...not exactly though, hence all the ingenious ways round it....:rolleyes::D:D

Bkl's tend to be quite high i think?

spongey :D

12. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

a medium mount on the lower half, and cut the taller one with new dovetails?

13. plattitude

plattitude Active Member

Club:
    Anston
    I was to afraid of getting crossover by mixing mounts, and would be more so by machining one,( and still not being low enough) but anyone with the right machinery could make a bespoke set of mounts, at a cost.
    I did measure the different hights but cannot find my info, but have found my Centre to centre notes and I have managed 1.325" and I don't think I can better that by using anything off the front dovetail unless anyone can tell me different, although I do recollect a thread saying rimfire rings are very low so they may work.

Paul