The nearest FT club for a newbie ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by 5teve L, May 28, 2009.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I'm thinking of giving FT a try as HFT is too easy :p (nah not really I was just being Ste for a moment ;) )
    Is Bisley the nearest place to me being in Sussex & are they a friendly bunch & do they hold opens in FT ?

Cheers
    Steve

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

3. Rik ochet

Rik ochet Its my skunk, I saw it !!

Hi Steve,

Yes Bisley do hold open FT comps and HFT. Your more than welcome to check the place out as a visitor and see what facilities are available.
    If you want any information on dates or links for the club drop me a line as I know a few of the committee quite well :D

Rik

4. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

oooohhhhh going over to the dark side eh . sounds intreasting ,
    might join ya . i aint exactly got the all singing all dancing gear though ?:D

5. Rik ochet

As I said to Steve, the more the merrier. You don't need all the singing and dancing gear.

I shoot the FT courses with my standard HFT gear I do it sporter style. S400 classic and an 10Mag MTC scope. I find it good practise.

If you guys want to pop down and visit I'll be more than happy to show you around.

Rik

6. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

is there different styles then ?
    forgive me but i know nothing about FT :confused::eek:

7. Rik ochet

You have the full on FT with lots of Nob twiddling and generally the bigger better scopes.
    The Sporter which is very much like HFT so rather than sitting shots you do unsupported prone shots. There is no playing with your scope to range find on the line .So I use it as HFT practice, the distances are out to 55yrds as it's a normal FT course.

It lets people experience the FT courses without going out and buying all the gear really.
    I'm new to the FT/Sporter side of things myself so might not have explained it quite right.

Hope this sort of helps :D

8. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

yer it does cheers:)

9. Rik ochet

No worries.

As I said if you want any details on Bisley then drop me a PM and I'll try and give you all of the information needed.

Rik

10. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Cheers Rik, I may take you up on that offer next month.

ATB
    Steve

11. Rik ochet

Not a problem Steve. Drop me a line whenever and I'm sure we can sort something out and I don't think the next open FT is til the end of next month anyway. So might be just about the right timing for you.

Rik :D

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Just to clarify, in case it's not obvious, but the rules don't state that you have to go prone, it's just that if you do it needs to be unsupported.

13. Rik ochet

Thanks for the clarification Rob, as I said I'm new to the sporter FT so wasn't 100% so tried to explain best i could :D

14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    i'm 95% certain that's the case, but i'm only doubtful because a lot of the HFT shooters shoot it prone out of choice, and I can't remember when I last saw SFT shot off the knee... but then I'm 99% certain Tony Haas does shoot off the knee.

D Hat would be the man to ask, sidekick to Steve Lanyman, who pretty much wipes the floor with everyone in our region shooting SFT... and when I mean everyone, that includes AA pcp shooters who knob twiddle!

15. Rik ochet

I am pretty sure you are correct and most HFT shooters do prefer to shoot prone as thats what they are used to. I find it more stable but thats because i'm even worse at shooting off the knee rather than prone :D