The Mystery POI

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by JJ, Mar 2, 2013.

1. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Hi All,
    I wonder if you can help me.
    I found over the last month or so that most of my misses when practicing FT or in the last couple of winter leagues would land at the 6 o'clock position of where I thought it would land. After checking all my equipment I thought that I was experiencing temperature shift as I was shooting with a HW100 and they are well known for it. So I upgraded to a Walther LG300.
    I spent a Friday afternoon with my Sightron 10-50x60 scope on the Walther at the range, carefully noting the new dial settings for my FT distances. After an hour or so of checking and double checking I was happy that I was up set up for the MFTA comp on the Sunday. However, when I sat at the zeroing range at the comp my 30 yard zero was low by an inch or so. In fact everything above 30 yards was out. I had a really bad shoot as I didn't know what to dial in for the distances. But I stayed behind after the shoot, on the zero range and found that not only had my settings changed but the number of clicks between each distance had dramatically reduced. So instead of 4 clicks between 30 and 35 yards it was just 1 or 2 clicks.
    I struggled on for a couple of weeks with the new settings but found I was missing low a lot. So l I sat down on the range at the club and noted all my dial in settings again from scratch, then checked and then rechecked. Everything was perfect so I had myself a cup of tea and all was well. That is until I dialled in for 40 yards and missed by about 3 inches at the 6 O'clock position. I then took another 5 shots, all pellet on pellet but all at the low 6 O'clock point. When I checked all my other distance settings I found that they had all moved. In fact the 55 yards distance had moved that much that there wasn't enough clicks on the turret to dial it in anymore. Whereas only minutes before I was placing nice tight groups at 55 yards, spot on where the scope was pointing. Again I checked and the gun was still placing pellet on pellet but not where the scope was pointing, always low at 6 O'clock position.
    Myself and a few other members at the gun all agreed that there was something wrong with the scope as the gun was shooting consistently. I've sent the scope back to Sightron who say there is nothing wrong with it and say that it must be the gun, which I feel is hard to believe. . I've had the gun on a chrono and it's consistent, as is its groupings. So does anyone have any ideas what it could be or do you, like me, think Sightron need to have another look.
    :eek:o :eek:o :eek:o

2. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Can you get hold of another scope to use for a while?

And get someone else to shoot your rig for awhile to make sure it's not you :)

Mark

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Put the scope on another gun (your hw100?) - see if the problem continues.

Put the scope that you currently use on your hw100 onto your Walther (or borrow a scope) and see if that fixes the problem.

That should give you enough info to sort it out.

Dave.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    It is easy to slightly dip the barrel as you release the trigger and that will result in a low shot. It is rare to do it consistently though - so I would assume the gun grouping low would point to a technical problem rather than the shooter. But it can't hurt to try another shooter ;)

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Weak link = Sightron scope

6. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I know myself it's nice to have someone confirm what your getting :)

7. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Is the barrel free floating,does it happen after you've re-filled the cylinder?
    Check the clearance between your air stripper and cylinder if it has one fitted.

8. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the help so far. I'm sure that its not me as the pellets land in the same place over and over. Aim Field Sports have suggested that it could be a loose barrel. As I've only just got the Walther does anyone with a Walther know if this is a possibility?
    Cheers
    JJ

9. Coney

Coney New Member

If I have read your first post correctly you had exactly the same problem when the Sightron was on the HW100 so it would point to the scope rather than the rifle.

Does it drop low all the time past 30yds or does it occasionally go where you aim?

Alan.

10. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Hi Alan,
    Yes, the problem started with the HW100, half the way through a comp everything just landed low. Obviously I thought it was me (as you would) But now, once the point of aim has shifted the pellet stays low but at the same point.
    Cheers
    JJ

11. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

low shot

jj bring the walther down ill put one of my s&b on it or a bsa big 60 or a mk3 nikko ill shoot it in a comp no problem it is 100 percent not the rifle, bill had it i think for over 3 years, he had no such problems with it if you have the sightron stick it back on ill try it for the week i can lend you a walther or whatever else you fancy to replace it as a post said its always good if another shooter has the same view see ya soon regards lloyd.:)

12. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    The barrel is free floating and has plenty of clearance between the cylinder and air stripper.
    The fill of the cylinder doesn't seem to be a factor.

13. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    I've seen a Barry Taylor adjustable rail move when locking screws were not fully tightened.
    I've seen a very small movement when Sportsmatch adjustable mounts locking screws were loose.

Failing that the weak link in the chain is the Sightron scope

14. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    I've checked rails, mounts and barrel. All tight.
    I've gone back to Sightron and demanded that they take another look at the scope before they send it back.
    To be fair, John at Aim Field Sports is taking this problem seriously but I get the impression Sightron in the USA aren't very interested at all and its them who have to correct any faults with the scope.

15. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Hi Lloyd,
    Thanks for that. I'm determined to get to the bottom of this so it might be a good idea to lend you my FT rig for a week if its still playing up when I get the scope back . However, I'm going to keep my eye out for a back up FT scope because I've really missed shooting these last few weeks.
    Hopefully see you soon mate
    All The best
    JJ