The marketplace : Guests and New Members viewing

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by RobF, Mar 12, 2010.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    The Sales/Wanted section is only visible to registered members, guests cannot see it.

New members who sign up will not be immediately allowed to view sales and wanted section.

We will not be divulging the criteria for to see the marketplace, it's automatic and designed to encourage those that participate and contribute in the forum, not those just here to buy and sell.

New member status isn't something that just goes away with time, you are considered a new member no matter how long you have signed up for if you have never been active outside of the marketplace or have very low activity outside of it.

This has been primarily driven by a few people whose actions saw them banned from sales and then who decided to re-register as a way of circumventing that and continuing their undesirable behaviour.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Welsh Wizard and MickyFinn like this.
  2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    You also need to use your local town as your location to make use the sales/wanted forum.

Using the ‘introductions’ subforum for new members is a good starting point.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018
    Welsh Wizard likes this.
  3. RobF

Club:
    Unfortunately not without letting in the people we don't want to let into sales/wanted because of their behaviour. I appreciate that new members may have little to say, but I also think that there's probably more to say than 2 posts in almost 2 years. :)

4. RobF

Club:
    Please see 1st post :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  5. RobF

Club:
    Aiding and abetting non members or members who cannot see sales.

This will result in you losing some or all access to the board on a temporary or permanent basis. If you are approached by a person who for whatever reason cannot access the forum or particularly Sales/Wanted and wants you to act as an intermediary for information or any form of communication with matters on this board then you should decline and notify us.

6. cowandchicken

cowandchicken New Member

Hmmmm as a new guy just starting to look at the sport and get kitted out on a budget this rule is not helpful.
    If I scan the post history I can find a answer to all my questions being new and needing a basic knowledge.
    Its hard to post looking for advice when its all there if you look. This leaves me posting random rubbish
    just to rack up posts in the hope I can get a bargain for my buck someday and not have people think oh no not that bloke
    again.
    But if people have used and abused the forum to the extent that this rule had to be made then I respect that.

tboy likes this.
  7. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    The rule really helps by reducing the risk of scammers advertising, and thus is there to protect both old and new members. It won't take long to add genuine content for genuine new members, if your in such a rush to get something, there are other options for buying used.

8. Broc968

Broc968 Active Member

Club:
    anston shooting club
    To be honest cowandchicken if you go to ft and hft shoots you see lot more wheeling and dealing of shooting equipment

9. cowandchicken

cowandchicken New Member

So word of mouth and being a regular face at meets is the way forward.
    I would just feel a right idiot turning up at a meet not knowing anybody and no gun.
    But if that's what it takes so be it.
    Cheers.

10. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Active Member

If you turned up at Nomads (nine miles west of Worcester, WR66PL) between 8:00 and 9:00 on a Sunday morning not knowing anyone and no gun then, like others before you, you would be welcomed, introduced to some great people and loaned a gun. You'd also be given advice on which rifle might best suit you.

Sales access on here is unrelated to time spent at clubs. Like the forum I help run, it is available after you have a qualifying number of posts, for very sound reasons.

11. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Just a quick "ditto" of the above message.

The Nomads guys must be the friendliest in the country. I blame the buggers for getting me into HFT! :D

12. cowandchicken

cowandchicken New Member

Thanks for the advice.:)