The HFT zero poll - what your zero ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Oct 19, 2009.

?

Whats your zero and how does it help you in HFT ?

1. 25 yards

24 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. 30 yards

56 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. 35 yards

63 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. 40 yards

13 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. Other - please state

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Hi all

I have only really ever used a 35 or 25 yard zero for HFT and know that people try all sorts to gain flatter trajectory with different set ups but what do you zero at and why ?

I prefer 25 yards and here's why

8 yards 2 dots
    10 yards 1 dot
    13 yards 1/4 dot
    15 yards TOK
    20 yards TOK
    25 yards ZERO
    30 yards TOK
    35 yards 1/2 dot
    40 yards 3/4 dot
    45 yards 1 dot

I have also blurred my scope at 40 yards which gives me atleast some indication of how bad my range finding is . lol

Whats your zero and how does it help you in HFT ?

cheers

Dave

2. Feral

Feral New Member

note to self: a smudge of vasaleine on Dave's glasses and he'll shoot everything at 40 yards! :D

3. Kingplinker

The more hindrance the better Cliff , like you said before mate - if I bolt the scope to the gun in the HFT comps car park after a full rifle strip down , try new aim points and render myself blind ...... I always shoot well ! lol

atvb

Dave

4. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

30 yards, because anything from 15 to 35 I can aim straight at it and get a decent trajectory from it. Since doing it last summer my scores have been nice and consistant, I don't think there's an optimum zero for HFT as it's a compromise for everything you setup, what gets good scores is knowing your kit and being a half decent shot!

Ryan

5. MojoCrow

MojoCrow New Member

25 yard zero (14.9 yard as well)
    35 yard 0.5 mil
    37 yard 0.75 mil
    40 yard 1.0 mil
    45 yard 1.5 mil

Scope height 1.26"

Now from 8 yards to 14-ish yards, it should be TOK but I guess I should pay a bit more attention to the close stuff. I got a few nice longer range shots (15mm head shot on the guillotine) on Sunday at Buxted's extreme shoot but the close range squirrels fighting over a nut (8 yards) had me out-foxed. Having said that, I plated my first five targets so it looks like I should do a few warm up shots first.:shot:

From 35 yards onwards my MTC Viper gets progressively more blurry (More a losing of crispness but it can also depend on light conditions. Patches of light & shadow can mess with it.).

Balls. I just looked on Chairgun and I've only just noticed that 8.9 yards coincides with 40 yards.:eek: What a schmuck.:rolleyes: So....ahem, 8.9 yard 1.0 mil.

6. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Now I'm more of an FT shooter so you might expect me to be a tad more anal about things but even so, I think you can probably round 8.9 yds up to 9 without any real trouble. ;)

7. MojoCrow

MojoCrow New Member

Hell, if my range finding was good enough to know an exactly 8.9 yard target when I saw it then I would wouldn't worry about anything.:D Any way, no way in hell am I gonna risk rounding off 8.9 to 9.0 yard; that 0.1 yard could make all the difference (and with my shooting, I need every atom of help I can get).:rolleyes: Maybe I should use 4.48mm head size pellets just to reduce that incredibly microscopically small chance of a pellet splitting KZ and plate.:D

FT shooters aren't anal, i've got customers who worry about the waterproofing difference between ripstop fabrics and poly/cotton mix fabrics when proofed. Now, that is anal.:eek: (they're also in need of some serious therapy..... or a slap:D)

8. chink

chink New Member

correctamundo!!! mines 35 tho - not a lot in it really ryan:shot:

9. D Martin

D Martin Non member

10. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

35yds for me and just get used to ranging effectively and using the appropriate aimpoint. Have tried a few different zero over the years and 35yds just seems what suits me best:)

11. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

35yds for me:

8yds 2 mdots HO
    10yds 1mdot HO
    15yds secondary zero
    20yds .2 mdots HU
    25yds .4 mdots HU
    30yds .4 mdots HU
    35yds primary zero
    40 yds .5 mdots HO
    45 yds .75 Mdots HO

Or thereabouts ;)

Neal

12. Kingplinker

Mmmmmm nice little set up you have their Neal . nice close aim points apart from the obvious spacing on the close ones .

atvb

Dave

13. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Doesn't matter what zero you use, its time and practice that counts, knowing your aimpoints and rangefinding is the main.

Pete

14. Kingplinker

......... But Pete I am not asking that :p just a simple ' out of interest poll ' to see what preferences others have . I myself have always been happy with 25 yards especially now I have mastered the art of not taking my gun apart every week , seems to help a great deal in fact . lol

I think its worth saying that once you have a decent set of workable aim points its worth sticking with it , I am amazed at how many people used to change zero from week to week when they had a poor shoot . :eek:

If it works , leave it alone and if you miss a target clean your barrel or try shooting straight !:D:D:D

atvb

Dave

15. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

25yrds for me . i dont like the idea of aiming below killzones , but have since learnt that you have to sometimes when aiming down hill .

16. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Strange that Dave ???:rolleyes:

17. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Dave is strange though. :eek:

18. Kingplinker

Ok sarky perhaps it should have read ' tried 35 and 25 yards ' , my PS was set up using a 35 yard zero as it had a big scope that made hard work using any other zero hence the reason I am now happy with a 25 yard zero .

atvb

Dave

19. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Do you mean that he's fucked about with his kit for years & is now preaching to leave it alone & shoot :D

A bit...POT & KETTLE :eek::D

20. Kingplinker

Window lickers of the world unite 'eh Steve :D:D:D