The correct way to size pellets

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Spencer Freeman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    [QUOTE="
    Can you hold the cross hair on a pellet mark at 55y, if this i's Ft related?[/QUOTE]

Ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa
    Can't even hold it on the floor !!!!!!!!!!!

2. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    Dan
    think you need them calibrating mate :p

Dan Smith likes this.
  3. garym

garym Active Member

Like a idiot I got the verniers out. Sat for 10-15 minutes checking a new batch for me. 70.
    The missus laughing............. I gave up.
    I am just going to load and shoot them. :D

Peter M, Evo and Dan Smith like this.
  4. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Member

This post has been a very interesting read. Everyone has there own opinion of how it should be done but I think everyone would agree that pellet testing, however it's done is definitely needed.

5. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    At the very least you should be giving each pellet a quick look at the skirt before sticking it in the breech.
    Personally I don’t mind spending time on pellets; it gives me reassurance that they are as good as possible and I won’t suffer with any of that thermal lift malarkey...

6. skires

skires Well-Known Member

My findings ...

Some batches of JSB you just load and you get group after group under 18-25mm at 55 yards. So the old advice of buy as many of that batch as you can get your hands on holds true. Just buy them and shoot them out of the tin. Best option.

Other batches have 1 or 2 out of five that open the groups up and you aren't satisfied with that compared to that magic batch that you just had, but have sadly run out of.

So you have options ...

1. Keep spending a tenner a tin ( or get them cheaper somewhere ) until you find that magic batch again. This can get a tad annoying because it takes up a lot of time and effort and also a lot of money, for those that can't afford to spend a tenner on pellets and then disregard 470 out of 500 when you find they aren't another magic batch for your rifle.

2. Ask around as to what seems like a good batch at that time and buy some of those and hope they go well in your rifle. This option includes begging a few off trusted mates to see if they go well in your rifle.

3. Try and find a method that means you can get more success with more batches and more tins. For some, this means finding a method of sizing that works.

For those that have had the inclination to explore option '3' and have found that they get a better success rate with more batches/tins, then they are going to stand by sizing.

For those that are lucky to have a barrel that isn't that fussy, or they don't mind ( quite like ) trying different batches, as they see that as all part of the game, and/or they don't have the time or inclination to try sizing, then they are always going to say sizing is pointless.

Of course there are other variables here ...

There is every chance that you may get one shooter who tries sizing and is quite established at sizing using his/her method. So they are good at setting up the tool and are careful at handling the pellets and the result is a group of pellets that receive no damage during the process and actually then fit that rifle better. Another shooter tries sizing and any advantage that may, or may not, have been achieved by sizing is negated by the fact that they aren't as careful, or consistent, during the process, and as such they add slight damage to some pellets and they see no improvement.

I think, reading lots of threads/posts, that these pellets can often experience different journeys from leaving the factory to arriving in the hands of the shooter. So someone wandering into their local shop and buying a new tin/batch for testing may already be destined for bad news ... whereas, other shooters, who have found a source where they buy new tins/batches ( direct from factory etc ), seem to get a high standard of consistency straight out of the tin. Again this will lead to different views on using straight out of the tin or sizing in different shooters.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. cowandchicken

cowandchicken Member

On reading this thread I find it very interesting being quite new to the game.
    Like most newbies I am trying to get better as fast as possible so looking for any
    little thing than can get me there but I do stop and think before spending my cash.
    If these things were a dead cert everyone would be doing it as people in general cant keep secrets.
    Pellet weighing / washing / lubeing / sizing Ect its all in the mind. If it gives you confidence then great and
    keep doing what your doing.

8. alan waddington

alan waddington New Member

hi guys
    I am thinking of taking up ft shooting can somebody tell me is it necessary to size & weigh your pellets or can you use them straight out of the tin
    thanks for any help

9. rmwesley

rmwesley New Member

Hi Alan,
    If you read this thread you will probably realise that it's the kind of question where if you ask 10 people you will get 11 different answers.
    My own approach, at least for the time being, is to do my own testing and see if it works for me.
    Cheers,
    Richard

Welsh Wizard likes this.
  10. garym

garym Active Member

Welcome to the forum Alan,
    If you are about to start FT shooting, IMO the last thing you want to do is start sorting pellets etc. Just find some pellets that work in your rifle, use them straight from the tin.
    Us, new FT shooters have enough to learn and take in without considering pellet variables in one tin.
    Shoot, learn and enjoy.
    Good luck on your FT journey.

Dale, cowandchicken and Evo like this.
  11. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    Brian Samson must be in bulk reading this thread,

by the way Alan, about time you joined the forum buddy,

see ya next week bud

garym likes this.