The correct way to size pellets

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Spencer Freeman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Member

Hi
    Looking for advice on pellet sizing from competitive shooters.
    I know that batch numbers and dies are important but I'm probably not at that level of accuracy yet. What id like to know is the best way of sizing pellets. I use JSB exact 8.44g 4.52 pellets as these seem to give consistently good results with the odd flyer here and there.
    I'm assuming that I should try and size my pellets to 4.52 as I'm guessing this would be the average size in the tin.
    Should I buy 4.53 to size down to 4.52 using a 4.52 sizer or am I going about this the totally wrong way.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Insert pellet into barrel and shoot.

DazF, paul.w, ianspire and 12 others like this.
  3. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    West Devon ftc

Why are you not accurate ?
    Sizing won't make up for any poor techniques.
    Can you hold the cross hair on a pellet mark at 55y, if this i's Ft related?

4. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Hi Spencer, first off forget about the sizes on pellet tins as they’re meaningless.
    You can buy a particular size, sizer but you have no guarantee that it will do anything, let alone anything positive to your shooting. I size my pellets and this is what I do to ensure consistency:

I use a TR Robb tapered sizer, this bit of kit as the name suggests has a taper so as you push a pellet further in, the pellet gets sized smaller. This is adjustable so the important bit is that you can try different settings on batches of pellets to see which work best out of your barrel at a particular velocity.

So what you need to do is size different groups of pellets, say a minimum of 10 with either no size and then a light, medium and heavy size. You then shoot these at least 50yds rested and preferably little wind. Go for best groups and assess the best groups.
    Once you find that your barrel likes say a medium size at 770fps it’s time to make up a larger batch of the preferred size and try small variations in velocity, say 10fps up and down at a time to see if the groups tighten.

Finally, leave the sizer at the best setting for your barrel and then size the rest of the tin.
    You can go further at this point and weigh out the sized pellets but personally I would try a few weighed pellets at either end of your tins spectrum to see if it makes any difference.

Congratulations, you now have some proper competition pellets that you know will be identical in the breech each time...;)

Btw this is a link to the sizer, best £25 you'll spend if you're serious about your pellets:
    Adjustable Pellet Sizer Stainless Steel .177 & .22

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  5. Philip Rodgers

Philip Rodgers New Member

Club:
    Richings Park Airgun Club
    I can only speak for myself and from my own experience. If I put 4.52mm AA Diabolo field pellets in my Steyr it shoots 50p size groups at 45 yards :(. If I size said pellets, I get touching pellet groups at 45 yards :). I use a Tinbum tuning 4.52mm sizer and it's time well spent. I have tried umpteen makes, sizes and batches so I am not doing it because I think it works, I'm doing it because, for my gun, I know it works.

6. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    does This pellet sizing thing work on any decent pellets ( jsbs ) or do you have to find a batch your gun likes and then size them??

7. Philip Rodgers

Philip Rodgers New Member

Club:
    Richings Park Airgun Club
    In my experience it works with any pellet. I found a pellet my gun DIDN'T like, then sized them. It turned a pellet that doesn't group into a pellet that does group. Some pellets I tried didn't work, I sized them, and they still didn't work ‍♂️ If you are lucky you will find a pellet that works and doesn't need sizing. If you don't find that pellet try sizing the ones you have, it might help.

8. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    West Devon ftc
    Decent pellets require nothing bar tipping out the tin.

However, finding decent pellets in some guns is not so easy. So you then tip average pellets out of said tin, size them and in some cases, it makes them decent pellets.
    If you find the right size pellet sizer for that pellet in that gun.

tony mccracken and skires like this.
  9. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    yep, its all in your minds guys, never read so much codswollop in my life, have you also looked at it from the other way ????? sizing a good pellet can actually make it bad ????

if you find a decent pellet use it out the tin if you havnt found a decent pellet then my best answer would be KEEP SEARCHING

the answer to the ops question was in Post 2

Darron likes this.
  10. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    West Devon ftc
    Proppr Testing has proved sizing works bob.

DazF likes this.
  11. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Yep sorry Bob but you're wrong, proper sizing does give better consistency. The pellet dies are all slightly different which is why they're numbered.
    Lead is a godawful material to make something as small as a pellet out of, throw in variations in the lead mix and straight away your chances of finding that perfect pellet for your barrel becomes a right lottery. Think about the weight variation across a tin of pellets, well you also get size variation depending on how well that particular die has been 'copied' from the original pattern.
    If you size your pellets all of that goes away as you test to find the right amount of sizing that is needed to give you the best consistency out of your barrel at a particular velocity.
    The emphasis here is correct sizing, just buying a random sizer just isn't going to work as it's pot luck if the pellet will be any better or worse in your barrel. This is where proper testing comes into play and is why I use a variable taper sizer so I can vary the amount of size exactly.

Welsh Wizard likes this.
  12. Evo

Club:
    sorry Col, i,m just not having it mate, its a total load of tosh in my eyes, i have sized pellets and tested with numerous pellet sizers, i am NOT wasting anymore of my precious time sizing pellets again it does not make the slightest bit of difference in my testing at 55yrds which is the reason i stated FIND A GOOD DIE and use from the tin, time would be better spent out in the wild learning wind and your equipment,

the only thing i found sizing did do ok was ensure the skirt was round, other than that im not wasting my time with it, its a load of BO**OCKS so i,ll continue how i am,

DazF, IanC and Gary Martin like this.
  13. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    I'm with Evo on this, never washed sized or lubed a pellet since returning to FT. I have however put considerable effort into finding the right batch for my barrel.

Evo and Gary Martin like this.
  14. Evo

Club:
    so do heavies mate ,:D:D:D:D

15. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    West Devon ftc
    sized pellets don't suffer thermal lift!

DazF likes this.
  16. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    West Devon ftc

Don't be so blinkered Bob, its holding you back!

17. Evo

Club:
    Si, i have tried everything, and sizing made no difference whatsoever to MY pellets at 55yrds infact i would say it makes them worse, it is a total waste of time, the only thing holding me back is silly mistakes on a course which i am working very hard to resolve, its not about sizing thats for sure and it aint about using heavies, dont worry you can shake my hand when your back on 8.4,s THIS YEAR :D:D:D by the way i have tried numerous die,s of heavies and they are useless through my ftp, my shotgun groups better :p

DazF and Darron like this.
  18. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Having read this is decided to get a digital vernier ( please no comments about having it calibrated and checked etc..) and lo and behold my 2 best batches of jsbs ( one express and one exact ) have the same head size 4.48/49 compared to evertything else I have being 4.51/2/3...

I nearly bought a tin bum sizer but then thought hang on the head and skirt will end up the same size - my re sized skinny pellet will just slide down the barrel ( the skirts all measured about 4.65 ) - then I thought about the other sizer mentioned which leave the skirt a little bigger than the head.

Then I thought I’d like to see some results if anyone has any?

Dan

19. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    If you're going to go the sizer route the 'other' sizer that tapers is the one to try....;)

DazF likes this.
  20. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    Don’t talk ridiculous of course they do! Even Bobs shotgun would suffer from thermal lift!