The 2009 Summer Season Photo Competition

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RobF, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Eh? Do what?:D

Ok, it seems the camera is quite popular along side the gun, so I thought we'd chuck in a little competitive aspect to it.

Now before we all say "ah, but we can't compete with the top end gear", the catagories have been chosen, along with the judges, to concentrate on the content rather than the quality, the subject captured is the important factor.

The judges are as follows (so you know who to bribe);

Tim Finley (of general FT/HFT infamy)
    Ian Harford (of Midland Game Fairs)
    Pete Sparks (of UKAHFT/WHFTA)

The overall criteria is that the shot must be target shooting related, so from tin can to tin chicken, plinker to paper... if it contains a shooter or something shooting related then it's fine.

The catagories
    are as follows;

Aesthetic; Beauty or appreciation of beauty, or to pure sensation. So think Oooh, Wow, Ahhh etc and if your image conveys a strong emotion that makes you utter something like that, then your on your way... be it a dynamic punchy image, be it a sedate pretty landscape etc etc. Yeh Baby or Ooh that's sweet.

Spirit; Capturing the spirit or story of the moment or the day. Something that gets the point across without words. Be it smiling faces of a group of shooters, be it the burning eyes of concentration etc.

Comedy; The blooper shot catagory. The outakes, the moments captured that can never be repeated because the subject won't let you within 100 feet of them again. Even more dispensation is given here for the quality of the image... if it's blurry, out of focus or whatever, but it's what's been caught that's important.

The Rules;

The images must not contain any unsafe practice (and this is down to the judges discrection). This includes shots looking down the muzzle.

Flash photography on the line must not be used.

Photographers should always endeavour to not disturb or distract shooters, as a) it's a safety issue b) some people don't like it. We don't want there to be a backlash of people not wanting people taking shots. It's not a paparazzi bun fight on the line ;)

With minors, check first that the parents and child are happy for their image to be taken and used.

Entries must be posted or linked to in this thread and must be there at the submission date.

You are limited to 5 submissions per catagory. You may not change the images submitted before the submission date. You must state the catagory above each image.

They can be retrospective during 2009 (we have ways of checking dates ;)). In other words, you can use an image you shot before the comp was announced, as long as it was shot in 2009.

The comp is not open to the judges or the administrator (ie me :D)

The closing date for submissions will be the 1st November.

The prizes; There will be only one winner for each catagory. Each will receive an exclusive shooting-the-breeze hoody.

As usual, any problems or queries, post below or PM me.

2. springboy

springboy Member

Fantastic idea must dig out my old box brownie:D

3. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

Is this just the excuse i need to go and buy a decent camera then?? Yes it it!!

LAity

4. Abes

Abes Member

Great idea Rob, thinks me might have a go LOL

5. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Okay Rob, how do we upload pictures?

I do not have a web based storage facility.

thanks Shaun

6. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

Is this just the excuse i need to go and buy a decent camera then?? Yes it it!!

ROG,

You don't need a decent camera to take a picture of a RUSTY BSA.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. MonsterMob

MonsterMob New Member

Aesthetic; This picture was taken at Lincoln HFT Club think it was peg 6 a shoot though some copes it's a 30 yarder 40mmkill zone....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  8. Photosbykev

Photosbykev New Member

interesting idea, I was in need of an incentive to dust the cobwebs off my camera and my imagination

9. Tesla

Tesla Member

Club:
    AFTE ( Euskadi F.T.Association)
    Euskadi's light

Excellent idea Rob.
    The Euskadi Open will provide us some good opportunities, I hope.
    At least we'll have good light conditions 11th. afternoon and 12th. in the morning.:cool:
    Let's go see....

Jesus

10. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

This seems to have generated some interest, obviously I'm up for it.

Rob, I don't think you should rule yourself out of the competition, after all what we want to see are as many interesting shooting photos as possible, besides I want to know that I have beaten you when I win:D

11. RobF

Club:
    Hi Shaun,

Hit the "Manage Attachments" button in the reply page, (it's down the bottom, in the "additional options".

Easiest to upload a jpg, from your computer... in the new window the button opens, hit the browse button, find the file, then hit upload, wait for it to complete... close that window (text top right)... then hit submit reply in the normal manner :)

Attached Files:

12. RobF

Club:
    if people really get stuck... make a post, then email me the shot and i'll stick it up inside the post :)

13. TeamZ

TeamZ Member

Club:
    Castle
    great idea Rob, I'll make sure I bring my kit from now ok then. Hey James, I can feel yet another little inter club comp coming on!!!

Cheers

Chris

14. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Eureka!

Thanks Rob

15. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Team Z,

I think I might be OK so long as you don't enter any Mono conversions!

Looking forward to this little comp........perhaps a side bet Team Z?

James:)

16. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Rob, sorry to be a dunce but now I've got my photo as a thumbnail how do I get it in the main post?

Thanks

Shaun

17. lez4evared

lez4evared New Member

quality photo as always fella

18. Sheepdog

Sheepdog New Member

As I do not have enough to carry in my shooting bag.
    Now I have to put my camera in as well, and all the extra lens, the tripod, the remote release,(just in case of low light) My lens cleaning kit. Protective foam.
    And, just in case, of running out of camera memory. I will also have to put in my laptop, to upload all the images to. Power adapters for the car, Camera Mobile phone and Laptop, Make sure my mobile phone is fully charged, to send images in case the laptop disk gets full.
    Probably manage without the printer.
    Might get a trolly though.

19. TeamZ

TeamZ Member

Club:
    Castle
    bring it on James, you may regret that little bet especially if I show you how it should be done on Sunday at Newbury!!!!!!
    See you there matey:)

20. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    You win Kev:D

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.