that site

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Wheelieneilie, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Member

Club:
    MAD
    Hi Peter,

Thechanges you made to **********.net last night are much better. I like the new tabs when you click on each shooter to see their score under each seperate style of shooting the have done. Keep up the good work.
    Neil

2. piotrga

piotrga Banned

Club:
    MADARC
  3. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Member

Club:
    MAD
    shooter percentage

Hi peter,
    i cant see the shooter percentages in the top window as a graph. the left hand biggest section of the box is empty. i don't know if this is becuase i am viewing it on an ipod touch.:confused:

4. piotrga

piotrga Banned

Club:
    MADARC
    This diagram doesnt work on iPad. Damn flash on iOS devices!
    I'll add support for iPads soon.

Check it out on the browser on your desktop or laptop.

5. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Member

Club:
    MAD
    graph now working

personal graph of percentages now working on my ipod touch. keep up the great work

6. piotrga

piotrga Banned

Club:
    MADARC
    Watch shooter

I've added a new feature.
    You can now subscribe to people's scores and get notification when new score is available.

This works well with your own scores too.

7. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Member

Club:
    MAD
    New watch shooter feature

Nice feature Peter. I am in the process of trying this out by watching myself. How do I unwatch a shooter?. Do i have to unsubsciber to an email or can you set up the watch button to toggle to unwatch from within ********** a bit like ebay;)

8. piotrga

piotrga Banned

Club:
    MADARC
    Good point :)
    Every email you'll get will have an unsubscribe link.

Since you've asked it feels like I need to send the introductory email i.e. "You've just subscribed to watch Such and Such, please confirm your subscription by clicking [confirm the subscription] or [cancel the subscription] You can always unsubscribe later by clicking [cancel subscription]"

Thanks for your feedback!:)

BTW. This thing is going to be BIG - I am getting way more traffic than I expected...

Also I remember about the "find the shooter/be nosy" feature, will do it soon...
    I am also thinking find the club or series feature. So many "finds" that I am struggling with designing it in the way we don't end up with all the menus MS Word has...

9. piotrga

piotrga Banned

Club:
    MADARC
    Regarding ebay like toggle - I believe I can make it possible once you'll be signed in.

10. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Member

Club:
    MAD
    subscribing

i think subscibing should be as simple and minimal information as possible. ie same as. shooting the breeze ie new person chooses their own user name and password and give you their email address for confimation only (and not used for any other purpose) as people dont like giving email adress otherwise.

11. stillwater

stillwater Well-Known Member

Club:
    Misfits
    Plink plink a sight that rips of data from other sites.
    IMHO best thing to do is avoid it like the plague and stick to the club/series sites where the info is free to see without having to give up your email address.
    I would advise all clubs/ series organisers to follow the DMHS route and ask for your data to be removed.

12. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    I'm not sure that I see your point on this. What is ********** doing that diminishes anything the clubs / series are doing?
    I already record my results in my own designed spreadsheet, but as far as I can see it isn't as effective or revealing (ie, as useful) as **********.
    I am happy for ********** to harvest and process my scores for me ... unless there's a catch somewhere - other then personal embarrassment - that I'm missing. Please tell me if there is!

And by my understanding, if data has been published in a public forum then it becomes public, and therefore able to be used by other people.

13. TheWhiteDragon

TheWhiteDragon Member

how is this not a good thing...

plink plink is a HUGE benefit to the sport..
    Why check 10 places when you can just look at one..

It's an huge advantage to us all, a great way to get new people into the sport.

A lot of new people won't know about all the other events so it's a great way of advertising them as well.

It's a great way of tracking your own process, or that of your friends..

I had a significantly smaller version like this planned to cover a single club, but plink plink has taken the entire sport..

Well done Piotr.

14. stillwater

stillwater Well-Known Member

Club:
    Misfits
    If that is the case then The DMHS scores will not be able to be put up in the public domain, which in turn would have an effect on the series and possibly the sponsorship of the series.
    Leading to the series having to finish and as such this would effect a lot of people that enjoy the sport.
    The guy that runs the DMHS web site and compiles the scores puts in a lot of time and effort to do so, and for someone to take that data without having the manners to ask before taking it is a disgrace and is something that shouldn't be allowed to happen.
    ********** have now taken down the DMHS scores and I appreciate the fact that they have done so.
    As for there being a catch who knows!!!

15. piotrga

piotrga Banned

Club:
    MADARC
    New feature - Stats!

Guys,

Thank you for the good word!:)
    I am happy that you enjoy the site - the visitors numbers do reflect that.

I've got few new features before the end of the year:
    1. Stats / averages on shooter page
    2. Ability to leave comments and upload photos of the events or series or clubs (bottom of the page)

IMPORTANT: Please hit REFRESH in your browser if you can't see any of the mentioned features.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Happy New Year!

16. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Hmmmm two posts within half an hour from a similar geographical location........

17. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    I think this is probably the wrong way to look at things but would agree that they should have asked first and perhaps linked back to the DMHS site. If anything the sport needs more sites to be involved that bring it to a wider audience.

I can see the value in what Plink Plink are doing.

18. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    Are you inferring that there is some collusion here ... some sort of DahDaH! "CONSPIRACY" (shock, horror!)?

Nope. The way it works is that recent posts and replies are featured on the front page, and people tend to click on those, and then comment if they feel comment is appropriate. I was going through the site and came across this thread, which I'd not read before, and where the previous last comment was on the 11th of December. I felt further comment was necessary, which then bumped the thread to the front page, and other people then felt further comment was called for.

Simple! No conspiracy, unless you want (DahDah!) to include yourself in it :)

19. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    I must be thick, but I still don't follow your argument. As before: What is ********** doing that diminishes anything the clubs / series are doing?

Yes, ok, I take your point that asking first might have been a more polite way of doing things. But frankly, in today's connected and interconnected world it would have been a highly unusual thing to do.

I still continue to look at the club and series websites, and this one, and other sites for the information that I want. i am now very disappointed that my results (poor as they are) for the DMHS are not going to be collated for me and that I'll have to go back to doing all the work myself - all because of what I think is an ill-considered knee-****, reaction. As I say: What is ********** doing that diminishes anything the clubs / series are doing?

20. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

For me it has little to do with the information being taken without being asked

The problem occurs when people visit a different site rather than visiting the original site, the original site then gets less & less traffic, sponsors get less and less exposure which may result in less sponsorship. The original site then ends up being just a resource for the new site who may or may not be making money from advertising on the new site.

If we take the UKAHFT website for instance.... once the cards are in it takes me 6-8hrs to check all the cards, collate the scores, enter them into the spreadsheet & then create & alter the relevant webpages, to do this I take a day off work on the Monday after competition so that shooters can view their scores as soon as possible......would I do this just to benefit another site who haven't contributed to the process & may actually be harming our events..... NOT A CHANCE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.